Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moss Point Mississippi AOF Spring Nationals Run What you Brung

Post Thanks / Like

I think you are confusing issues. Racing Gear case or no gear case, is not a big issue. A big issue is 350.00 versus 3,500.00 for the insurance/sanction. The medical insurance APBA furnishes is secondary insurance. AOF is working on the medical insurance. If you use the APBA insurance for primary insurance I don't think you get much coverage anyway. Doesn't just about every racer own medical insurance of some kind? I have a copy of AOF's sanction requirements, costs, classes, etc. etc. etc. If you want to put on an AOF race with 1 million (soon to be 2 million) dollars of liability insurance you can do it. You name the class, they will sanction it. You don't need 100 boats with entry fees of 100 bucks or more to cover your costs. I will gladly forward the entire "library" of AOF rules, requirements, class structure, points, and whatever else they have to offer if there is a west coast club that is interested. I have just received all of this information in the mail, including an AOF tee shirt which I will not "give up" in the deal. You always talked about putting on a mini-enduro. I think you may have even written some rules. Here is a way you can afford to put an enduro on, and not lose your shirt nor take the shirts off the racer's backs to pay the costs. I think you have a "new" club that was started up a month or so ago--would this not be a great way to get affordable racing back on the west coast?

Post Thanks / Like

Default I bought a six boat trailer

Our new COBRA CLUB will probably have their first race in May. I bought a six boat trailer, so we'd at least have six boat there.

I know that Havasu Landing race was canceled because insurance was:

$2,400 for Stocks plus $600 for OPC, plus $600 for inboard, plus $400 SANCTION FEE.

$4,000 FOR APBA INSURANCE!!!!!! NO WAY THE CLUB COULD PUT ON A RACE.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: A Special Events class like COR costs nothing when added to the sanction. A week-end of AOF/COR only racing could be put on and affordable for 350 bucks. Points, we keep our own records. 350 divided by 6 boats=pretty cheap insurance for a week-end or for insurance at Irvine or Bakersfield or wherever. No racing units on COR boats. It wouldn't be too hard to add classes with racing units and even allow "fishing" engines to compete. Seems like you just need a club with the sticktoitness to plan a race and then sticktoit for a change.

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gear Cases

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    In 1966 at the Havasu Outboard World Championships there were 128 entries. I doubt if ten boat had Speedmaster gearcases. Ted May lead the first day in a SWITZER WING WITH SHIFTABLE ROUND NOSE GEARCASES.

Bobby Switzer had made the most laps, with "RACING" gearcase, but had been docked 16 laps for missing a buoy.

I raced in the Six Hours of Paris, five times, I think. Usually they had 90 to 100 boats start. I never raced a "RACING" gearcases in the Six Hour of Paris. Jimbo and I won the Berlin Six Hour 86 entires or something like that. We raced a shiftable gearcase.

For they last 8 years I've tried to get people in California interested in racing AOF. The reasons we haven't had an AOF was because "NO POINTS, NO MEDICAL INSURANCE," and I added no racing gearcases.

My brother Russ Hill Jr., coined the phrase, "Run what you brung". My hat is off to AOF for having this race. I have considered driving down there to race just to show my support.
    Ron,

You might be confused on the gear cases we used. When you & I co-drove in Paris in 1970 then you & Jimbo won with the same boat/motor/gearcase in Berlin, I had to go home, we ran the club gear case, not the 1:1 but it was not shiftable & OMC did call it their racing gear case. So was the smaller 1:1. The 3 years that I raced in Paris & 2 in Berlin & 1 at Lake Como, all were with the club gear case which wasn't shiftable.

If you recall our typical strategy, good or bad, at Havasu was with all the starting boats on the first day we ran the club gearcase, then on the second day, supposedly with less starters, we would run the 1:1.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Date???

Quote Originally Posted by AOFCarl View Post
    AOF Spring Nationals: Moss Point, MS
    Any classes that show including the drags.
    Robertson Lake (Google EArth it, it is cool)
    AOF membership for the week end and low class fees
    Tow and Show money paid by sponsor.
    Officials: Bobby Laws, Jack Stotts, Glen Hopkins, John Snell, and Brian Payn
    Directions: I 10 East or WEst. Take exit 68 South on Hwy 613. Go over bridge and come into downtown. Watch for signs.
    Campint: Presley Outing 2283-474 5476
    Motesls are Comfort in and Shuler Hospitality Hotels

Contact me: Carl B Staron 863-699-9701
    or AOFCarl@gmail.com
    Guess I must have missed something. What is the race date?? Or is it just when enough boats show up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    When you run at AOF or NBRA races, you don't get APBA points. And without APBA points you could never get in the APBA Hall of Champions, like Ed Hearn has been in for the last 10-15 years in a row.

These NON APBA groups will never make it, they just don't have APBA POINTS!

Or UIM Kilo records.....

These AOF guys probably aren't "REAL" racers anyway! Hell, they have classes for any boat that shows up. EVERYONE KNOWS you must have a RACING GEARCASE to be a real "RACER".....

ADD: And with OBAMA CARE no one really needs medical insurance.....well maybe they need it until 2014...
    LoLs, wish I was closer, looks like a good time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

AOF is not in the medical insurance business. Really, you want a bunch of boat racers handling your medical insurance? Get some Combined or Aflac and come racing with us. Also, we have a HALL OF FAME
    You work hard in AOF, either racing or on the bank, and you will earn points that are tallied and ONE PERSON per year is inducted. It is a lifetime thing. It is a REAL HONOR, not just a yearly same o same o. Sometimes we don't even have an inductee for a year or so. About 18 or so in the last 45 years of AOF. Now that is an honor.

We do have safety rules. We do have points kept and high points given, IF and that is a big IF, a club wants the national recognition. Might just want to save the money and get a nice award through the club. That is where we should be giving the awards.
    What is wrong with boat racing is some organizations are starting at the top and building on a poor foundation. Common sense is that it will crumble sooner or later. AOF works on the foundation. Then builds up. If, by building up that means transcending over to APBA, then so be it. At least we have done our job and build the grass roots foundation. Needs to be more cooperation between AOF and APBA. WE can offer affordable racing when a race would have to be cancelled because it was not affordable. Seems like common sense to me.
    Carl

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Race Date for Moss Point is:
    April 28 and 29.
    Sorry. Im old. Can't remember my name somedays.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I just was doing research on recognition and realized that AOF will start using BRF for our records. Was gonna try Guiness, but this seems like the logical place. Thank you Ron and all for the chance to have nationally recognized records. You are dong a great job. I guess it really doesn't matter if you set a record, APBA, NBRA, UIM, AOF. Doesn't pay the grocery bills, but now we can tell our members to tell their neighbors to come on BRF and see their name. Cool.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Our insurance was tested a few years back when teh SLORA Idaho WAshington club had a spectator hurt. Claim was paid off immediately. No snow fence needed as the new rule in APBA. We work hard to see that the releases are signed. each trailer has a release sheet and if you see a spectator without a stamp or band, make them sign your sheet or kick them out. Kinda fun sometimes. Either get rid of the jerks or you get to talk to a potential racer.
    Carl

Thread Information