Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sidson "D" Hydro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sidson "D" Hydro

We are in the process of restoring a "D" class Sidson hydroplane that had the entire nose rotted away. This is literally the only measurement we still require in order to finish the front. Anyone out there own one that I could get a measurement off of? I would ask for Sidcraft as well, but we have found that between Sidcrafts and Sidsons of the same class there are many (some large) differences.

Specifically I am interested in knowing the characteristic of how the sponsons terminate. On our "F" Sidson hydro one side of the bottom of the sponson runs even with the length of the boat, while the outboard side of the sponson curves inward to nearly meet the inboard side of the sponson. However, on our "B" Sidson hydro, the two sides of the bottom of the sponson remain at the same distance until meeting the curvature of the front of the boat. We want to know which is right, and the exact measurement of the change in distance if it is meant to curve inward.

The boat is farther along now, but i don't have an updated picture, all the ribs are finished, glued and holes cut (the canvas stringers are placeholders in the picture).

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good work

Looking good, keep us posted. Waiting to see the video.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sidson D Hydro

I would suggest that you get in touch with Aeroliner Boats in Florida. They recently restored a Sid D hydro and may be able to help. There was a thread on this site--Show us your boats--and it showed their restoration. They are at the Taveres meet probably this weekend but know these boats--hope this helps--good looking job--Bill.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I have been in touch with the Aeroliner brothers about many things, including that boat. The Sidcraft is quite different than the Sidson even though they are the same class. He did a lot of drawings and sketches for us to help us get an idea of curves, lengths, and some of the harder measurements that we simply did not have. However, we quickly found out that the cockpit length was longer on a Sidcraft and that the canvas section of the nose was shorter on a Sidcraft than on the Sidson. The Sidcraft also has one less hole punched rib underneath the canvas than the Sidson. The extra rib is seen on my F Sidson as well.

Between the B, D, and F there are many similarities, but no defining measurement feature that they all seem to share (other than overall length) that increases/changes with any predictable certainty as the class of the boat increases. Just something interesting to note between Sidson classes. Also there is only I believe a 1-2" difference between the Class B and the A Alky Sidson boats. I'd have to look at the sales brochure again. I also believe the D Sidson is the same length as a B Alky Sidson. Again I would have to double check.

Here are the B and F Sidsons. An interesting note is that the B is from the Sidcraft shop in Nixon, NJ before Sidson moved to their own shop in Edison, NJ which is where the F is from (according to the stickers on the sides of each boat).

Post Thanks / Like

I finally found an individual who has a Sidson D Hydro. Also, lucky me, it has the decks off, so it can be photographed and measured to our heart's content. Here is how the boat stands right now. The sponson side piece is not attached yet as it needs to be shaped and cut. Once the sponsons are set, we can move on to the B Sidson and get that ready for the season.

Until we get the measurements my dad is switching gears to work on my Mark 55H and get it ready for the season as well as work out ignition issues on our Mark 20H conversion so that can be paired with the B Sidson.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Be sure to keep checking that the hull is straight. Stretching battens and then plywood onto the frame can tweak it out of alignement. (Don't ask, please!)

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I've been on my dad to make sure at all times it's leveled completely. But I can see that it's a big deal and how it might drastically affect the final product. And I'll be kind and not ask, haha

Thread Information