Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prop question...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

well i've a tiny tach in my hand and my gps is fixed so all i need now is a bit of weather trhis weekend and ill post up revs and speeds etc!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

so i went out this evening and at a gps reading of 46mph i'm doing 6450 rpm.......
    how long is the motor gonna last revving it that hard??

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not familiar with your motor so don't know.. Generally tho an engine will do better running sweet at a higher R level than straining & pounding under load at a lower rpm. Trick is what the manufacture recommendation is & why. The particular motor I experiment with can handle over 1500 R's more than spec & be fine, I don't expect 20 years out of them & would likely rebuild within 5 anyway. Good Luck

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i think wot for the 6e9 is 5500 rpm, i havent touched the std timing settings yet either,all i'm doing is running a little more oil than normal and trying to not hold full throttle for extended periods.

Post Thanks / Like

thats not bad at all mate! 6450rpm is getting out out there a bit ,for a stock motor.i'd fit some fibre reeds reving it that hard.other then that it "should" handle it ,depending on how the previuos owners looked after it.
    i'd definately be saving for one of rons choppers .they excellarate pretty good with the exhaust mod and hold half decent through the turns compared to cleavers.
    do they run the same 1.83 gear ratio as the old 30 yam/mariner?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

the gear ratio is the question! it depends who made what for who wether its 1.83 or 2.0 to 1 only a strip and count of the teeth will prove it! i think i'm deffo gonna order a set of reeds of chris carson in the next few days. i also sent a pm to ron about a semi cleaver rather than choppers......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serious3 View Post
    the gear ratio is the question! it depends who made what for who wether its 1.83 or 2.0 to 1 only a strip and count of the teeth will prove it! i think i'm deffo gonna order a set of reeds of chris carson in the next few days. i also sent a pm to ron about a semi cleaver rather than choppers......
    All you need to do is pull the spark plugs, mark the prop & flywheel, spin the motor by hand & count how many flywheel turns it takes to turn the prop 1 full turn.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

^^ now why didnt i think of that.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by serious3 View Post
    ^^ now why didnt i think of that.......
    If forgetting to remember what we already knew didn't happen, hind sight would be 20 20

Thread Information