Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safe rpm at WOT with a stock Evinrude 75hp

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    No problem that I have seen with running the 44's at 7,000+

In fact, they usually run 8,400. I have not seen a bearing failure
    I guess I should have qualified as to what "old mercs" we are taking about here. If old means 30 years old, engines from the 70's and 80's then we are talking about these engines. If old means the earlier Mark 55h and the 44 cu in 500's of the 60's, that's a different story. The Merc 44's from the 70's and 80's had tighter rod clearances than the earlier motors and if you spin them too fast you will damage the rod bearings and the crankpin journals. The change was made to make the engine more quiet, but the result is that you can't spin the later classic engines as fast without opening up the rod clearances. This includes the 44xs and any of the "classic 50" powerheads from the 70's and 80's.

Post Thanks / Like

Default old merc rpms

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    I guess I should have qualified as to what "old mercs" we are taking about here. If old means 30 years old, engines from the 70's and 80's then we are talking about these engines. If old means the earlier Mark 55h and the 44 cu in 500's of the 60's, that's a different story. The Merc 44's from the 70's and 80's had tighter rod clearances than the earlier motors and if you spin them too fast you will damage the rod bearings and the crankpin journals. The change was made to make the engine more quiet, but the result is that you can't spin the later classic engines as fast without opening up the rod clearances. This includes the 44xs and any of the "classic 50" powerheads from the 70's and 80's.
    I have a 1973 25ss with the deflector pistons and the factory info tag that it came with recommended 6600 rpm max but when I was racing it in APBA in the 1970's I consistently ran it at 7000-7100 with no issues. Still have it and run it the same at local AOMCI meets. I have had it apart several times thru the years and it looks OK at the rod bearings and cylindere bores. Is it possible that Mercury clearanced the Merc 200 rods for the first series 25ss engine?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Is it possible that Mercury clearanced the Merc 200 rods for the first series 25ss engine?
    Don't know how the 25's were built. The change in rod clearances on the four cylinder engines coincided with a change in crankshafts and other changes to the top of the motor. Not sure if they ever tightened up the clearances on the two cylinder motors. The change was made to make the 4 cyl engine more quiet. Probably more important on the bigger motor and not such a big deal for a smaller motor. At that point they weren't racing the 44 and it was probably more important to have the customer feel that he had a quiet and smooth engine as opposed to making a few racers happy.

Just a thought, I really don't know, you would have to ask someone who is building the 2 cyl motors to find out. There is also a reference to this problem in Harry Brinkman's notes on building the 44 for and he states that you need to open the rod clearance on the stock 44xs as well as engines running higher rpms in modified racing so I am sure it is real. I was corresponding with Jerry Wienandt (Trident Racing) and he is the one who recommended that I use an RPM limit of 6,000 for my 1977 stock Merc 500 until I get the rods opened up. Jerry is an expert, when experts talk I listen.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rpm

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowjacket View Post
    Don't know how the 25's were built. The change in rod clearances on the four cylinder engines coincided with a change in crankshafts and other changes to the top of the motor. Not sure if they ever tightened up the clearances on the two cylinder motors. The change was made to make the 4 cyl engine more quiet. Probably more important on the bigger motor and not such a big deal for a smaller motor. At that point they weren't racing the 44 and it was probably more important to have the customer feel that he had a quiet and smooth engine as opposed to making a few racers happy.

Just a thought, I really don't know, you would have to ask someone who is building the 2 cyl motors to find out. There is also a reference to this problem in Harry Brinkman's notes on building the 44 for and he states that you need to open the rod clearance on the stock 44xs as well as engines running higher rpms in modified racing so I am sure it is real. I was corresponding with Jerry Wienandt (Trident Racing) and he is the one who recommended that I use an RPM limit of 6,000 for my 1977 stock Merc 500 until I get the rods opened up. Jerry is an expert, when experts talk I listen.
    I know Jerry and have received emails on specifics. I wll ask him.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default 44 CI RPM's

We have run the 4 carb 44 CI engine that Doug Kay built with all of the Brinkman Mod's plus a few of his own and have consistently turn over 9000RPM
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Thread Information