Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O.F. Christner

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Agreed

I don't know if there is any minds like OF's. My dad talks very highly of Mr. Christner, and the times he spent down at Quincy Welding. I don't know of any builders, even today, that can compare to his knowledge. It seems Mr. Christner was born mechanical, and did not need to learn the basics. That is just some of what I gleaned from talking to my Dad about him, and what I have read here. I truly wish I could have met him. I have nothing but the highest respect for the Quincy Crew.

I hope the engine shop in the sky is turning out some Loopers for the racers already at Lake Paridise.

Post Thanks / Like

I was asked by the president of the Melrose Chapel Methodist Church Men's Club to speak to their group last night.

Guess what this Baptist boy talked about?

It's amazing how many Quincyans know nothing at all about Chris.

Even the city library was unable to produce a copy of the book;"O.F. Christner, Father of the Quincy Mercury" even though they acknowledged it's presence in their inventory.

Today, there are a few more Methodists who are better informed of the historic role their home town played in the development of the outboard motor.

There were two men in the group who knew some of Chris and Vera's children. One even worked with Earle Hull, Chris's son-in-law. These contributed interesting additions to my presentation.

The group seemed to enjoy my comments about Carl Keikhaefer and his insistance that Chris discontinue the Quincy Merc name and start using the name Merc-Quincy to describe the Loopers, and the modified Mercurys.

I think most of you know I respected King Carl, but I certainly didn't like him.

Charlie Strang is a different story. In the 50+ years since I started working for Chris, I have never anyone say anything harsh about Charlie. He recognized and appreciated the genius that was O.F. Christner.

I hope Charlie will be at DePue.

Post Thanks / Like

Gene, I can certainly identify with the errant music selections on the radio on those long racing trips. I recall cranking up The Rolling Stones tunes and Chris's inevitable response was always "That noise is gonna ruin the speaker!". I proceeded to explain that classical music was the worse thing for speakers because it didn't move the cones enough to keep them from sticking. I continued by explaining that rock and roll was like a radiator flush for speakers. This was a man who revered the classical stylings of guitarists like Andre Segovia and Carlos Montoya, so the theory fell flat and we have a good laugh over it. Chris was one of a kind in every sense.

Frank

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a great story Frank. And I loved your analogy.

Post Thanks / Like

Frank,

We need you to come to Depue. It's only 350 miles on your Hog. Surely you can still ride that far in one day. A lot of guys would like to meet you. A lot more would like to see you again. Hey, none of us is getting any younger, except Alan Ishii and Charley Bradley!

Thread Information