Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Trim System

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric Trim System

I waited a year until I had this system perfected before posting it, if anyone wants to build one.

To wit: An electric Lenco trim tab cylinder (about a hundred bucks) rotates a cam that raises the tower about 3 pin holes. The obvious advantage of this system is light weight: the whole works is less than 3 pounds (and it’s all steel—Fastjeff wonder metal. Aluminum fabrication would trim some weight.) A DPDT momentary switch works the Lenco with two relays (one relay for + and one for -) to handle the amp load for Trim Out. With minimal load on the system during Trim In, the switch contacts alone handle the amps.

A ½ inch smooth rod is used for the camshaft, rotating in holes drilled through the clamp brackets (where that cross rod was bolted). A piece of 3/8 “ pipe with the cams welded to it is clamped to the ½ “ rod via two set screws in drilled holes. The cams push against an 1/8 “ pipe that rolls freely on the 5/16 “ rod that was used for the neutral/ reverse locking system. (To prevent bending of this rod, the cams are located to the extreme ends.)

After trying to mount the foot long Lenco cylinder to push directly on the arm of the camshaft, I instead made up a simple rocking arm to put it inside the boat instead. Not only is this a neater installation, the rocker arm allows adjustment for various strokes, which helps tailor the system.

That’s it. Nice and simple, fairly easy to make, lightweight, uses less than120 bucks in materials, and it works!

Fastjeff
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electric Trim System

Neat set up! Compared to a stock trim unit, how fast does your setup trim out?
    Forgive my ignorance, what is a DPDT momentary switch and what relays/setup
    did you use? Thanks, Steve

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

DTDP = Double Throw Double Pole switch.

I used basic Bosch type relays I got off eBay for about 6 bucks each with the connectors.

I can publish my wiring diagram if you wish?

The system goes from full IN to full OUT in about 4 seconds.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Lenco actuator strong enough to be used in place of a hydraulic cylinder on a "regular" trim system -- at least on a small (25hp - 40 hp) motor?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Neat setup! And it's totally immersible without damage, in case you're wondering.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

So that's a yes? Strong enough to be used in a setup like this?

Tunnelboat and V-bottom Plans for 15-35 hp, 40-60 hp, 60-80 hp

Dillon-Racing.com also on YouTube, on Facebook, on Twitter

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chairman View Post
    So that's a yes? Strong enough to be used in a setup like this?
    I would think so, he's got it on a 4 cyl merc with a full length tower.

For use on something like on your Dillon you need to mount the outboard pivot for the cam shaft lever on the jacking plate. Not a big deal, but with the way it is set up on that boat you can't jack the motor up or down. I would think you may will want to do be able to change your motor height and he can't.

Overall, a very clever and low cost solution.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

..."...you may will want to do be able to change your motor height and he can't."

Actually, I can (though I prefer not to--long story). The triangular black bracket can be relocated upward on the transom up to several inches, and the rocker arm push rod length modified or simply readjusted.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, you can, but as you said, it's not easy. You would have to loosen and move the bracket too. Then the linkage is going to be different and the trim gage might have to be adjusted too.

If the bracket is on the jacking plate it would move with the jacing plate and you might have to adjust the linkage, but it you would have to do that either way.

If you could figure out a way to mount the cylinder on the jacking plate it would go up and down with the motor and it would all stay aligned and working without hassles. I think that could be done pretty easily, and it could work really well.

When you are testing a rig, time is precious. You need to be able to make adjustments quickly and then get back on the water. If you have to fiddle with adjusting the system every time then it is not as useful. I think it's a good idea, but for what Dillon needs to do it needs some refinement.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah! See what you mean. I'll looking into what you suggested. Sounds like a fun challenge!

Jeff

Thread Information