Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hauenstein Family

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frances Hauenstein Is No Longer With Us

The mother of Fred, Jim and Don Hauenstein died Wednesday evening June13, 2012. She was 94. There will be a memorial service for her on June 29 at 10:30 A.M. in Kingsburg, California (Evangelical Covenant Church).

Rest in Peace, Frances.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Obituary: Frances C. Hauenstein

FRANCES C. HAUENSTEIN
    February 13, 1918 – June 13, 2012

Frances Coffee Hauenstein was born to Ira and Ethel Coffee in Clayton, New Mexico, on February 13, 1918. Her family moved to Ivanhoe, California, when she was 8 years of age. She attended schools in Visalia and worked hard to help support herself and her family. She graduated from Fresno State with a teaching degree and a minor in physical education. She was an excellent athlete and eventually met and married Fred W. Hauenstein, who was captain of the University of Missouri track team.

Fred and Frances married in 1941 and enjoyed 64 years together before Fred’s death in 2006. The two of them began married life working at Lockheed Aircraft in Southern California during World War II. They returned to the San Joaquin Valley where Frances raised their sons Freddie, Jimmie, and Donnie while Fred drove trucks. In 1953 the couple opened a truck stop in Kingsburg where Frances fueled trucks while her husband continued driving to augment their finances. In 1954 they built a larger fuel station in Kingsburg and then opened a café on the site. Fred’s Truck Fuels and Café was a successful Kingsburg landmark on Highway 99 for four decades. Frances managed the café and many to this day remember the great chiliburgers she served.

As Fred and Frances succeeded, their willingness to help others became well-known. They gave freely of their resources, friendship, support and advice to stranded travelers, truckers and local residents alike. Her love of Kingsburg showed through her service as president of the Chamber of Commerce, the Senior Center and the Kingsburg Hospital Auxiliary. She was an active member of the Kingsburg Gun Club, the Northern California Outboard Association, the Kingsburg Evangelical Covenant Church, and tutored young readers after school.

Frances was well known in American Power Boat Association racing circles as a strong advocate for her husband and sons (and grandsons) as well as being the best and most prolific sandwich maker in the pits. Many a racer or mechanic would have gone hungry without her “tailgate deli.”

Frances was preceded in death by her husband Frederick W. Hauenstein, sons James F. and Donald E. Hauenstein, brother Findley Coffee, sister Lola Christie and one granddaughter, Melcena Hauenstein.

She is survived by her son Frederick M. (Linda) Hauenstein, Oshkosh, WI; her daughter-in-law Kathy Hauenstein, Santa Inez, CA; grandchildren Dan (Kristy) Hauenstein, San Carlos, CA; Mike (Kate) Hauenstein, Cedar Park, TX; Hilary (Brad) Carpenter, Gilbert, AZ; Raina Hauenstein, Oronogo, MO; Ira (Amanda) Hauenstein, Anchorage, AK; and Jack Hauenstein, Albemarle, NC. She is further survived by ten great-grandchildren, a sister Donna Symons, and her special friend and caregiver, Lupe Mendez.

A memorial service will be held on Friday, June 29th at 10:30 AM at the Kingsburg Evangelical Covenant Church, 1490 Lincoln St, Kingsburg, CA. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a charity of the donor’s choice
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-25-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Fred, Freddy and Jimbo

Thanks to Cathy McConnell for the picture.

I ran into a guy, driving truck now, he told me he once was at Fred's Cafe, and was broke. Old Fred, gave him a chilli size, a tank of gas and ten dollars. Humble people, the Hauenstein's, but great Americans.

Great picture, Cathy, of three great people.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Thanks to Cathy McConnell for the picture.

I ran into a guy, driving truck now, he told me he once was at Fred's Cafe, and was broke. Old Fred, gave him a chilli size, a tank of gas and ten dollars. Humble people, the Hauenstein's, but great Americans.

Great picture, Cathy, of three great people.
    Sometime in the early seventies, my two youngest daughters, Sam and Kim went with Frances Hauenstein in a massive RV all the way up the California Coast to Oregon.
    They came back with stories of how she had thrown that thing all the way up the coast road to Seattle and back again?
    That's the kind of folk they were,my kids still remember with love and affection Frances Hauenstein.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great People Do Great Things

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Sometime in the early seventies, my two youngest daughters, Sam and Kim went with Frances Hauenstein in a massive RV all the way up the California Coast to Oregon.
    They came back with stories of how she had thrown that thing all the way up the coast road to Seattle and back again?
    That's the kind of folk they were,my kids still remember with love and affection Frances Hauenstein.
    Truly great people do great things without wanting anything. I really know very little about the Mr. and Mrs. Fred Hauenstein Family except for boat racing. But I do know that they own homes around Kingsburg that were "DONATED" to drug Rehab houses.

I have always "OVER DONE" when something is free, especially if alcohol was involved. I can't recall the number of times I raced when Francis Hauenstein had FREE food for the boat racers.

Post Thanks / Like

Default November 1967: Havasu or Bust

Jim Hauenstein and I were really very good friends. He had the "HAUENSTEIN LAUGH" and the "Hauenstein Brain". Jim was a bad influence on me as he caused me to go to bars and drink. Jimmy was either going to SC (University fo Southern California) or going to UCLA Law School. I don't recall, but I was teaching school, but on the weekends I'd "Meet Up" was "FAT JIMMY" as I called him, he called me "Fat Ronnie".

Fred Miller had driven OMC's 20 foot DeSilva at the Parker 9 Hour in March of 1967, but blew the bottom out on the first lap. OMC had paid for the boat, but didn't want it. So, I hung out at DeSilva's and we repaired the boat. I convinced OMC to send me two new X-115 Evinrudes to run on this DeSilva to run local races. I did win a local Havasu race and a local Bullhead City race. But when summer came I headed back "EAST" to race.

Jimmy Hauenstein and his brother Donny headed back "EAST" in June, also. We were headed for Valleyfield fo the John Ward, 500 CC World Championships. As it turned out, Jimmy and I basically saw each other from about June 15 til August 5th. I'd say about 6 weeks. We had always been friends but Jim was like a "MENTOR" as he knew so much about international relations (His college major) and just life in general. We drank beer, chased women, went to boat races and "KICKED IT" .

After DePue, in August, Jimmy went home, I went on to the Chicago to Milwaukee to Chicago marathon, then to canton, Ohio to the OPC National, then to Essex, Maryland for the Stock Nationals...then to the Hudson River Marathon.

When I finally got home, I went back to work, with a draft notice.....pending. Jack Leek called and asked, "How fast was that 20 foot DeSilva?" I said , "74 MPH." He said, "Do you want to run it at Havasu?" I said, "HELL NO!!! I want my 17 foot Glastron that I won the Chicago to Milwaukee Race with. Jack said, "Well, I'f flying to California with my KELLER (Keller Speedometer) and I want to go testing at Elsinore to test the DeSilva.

Jack flew in and my dad and I went to pick him up at LAX. Th first thing Jack said was, "Let' go have Mexican food." We picked Jack up at his hotel the next morning and headed for Elsinore. Jack said, "Do you know a good D Hydro driver that could drive a Single for us at Havasu?" My dad and I just looked at Jack and said, "JIMBO." He said, "Call him and tell him to meet me at Havasu, Wednesday before Havasu."
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-20-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default After Testing with Jack Leek at Elsinore

I ran the DeSilva at 74 MPH on my Keller. Jack out his Keller in the boat and he drove it. I said he saw 74 MPH, maybe 75. I said, "MY Glastron goes 67 MPH and I want to run it at Havasu. Jack wasn't happy with my decision. On the way back to my dad's house and on to LAX, I kept telling Jack that "Freddy Hauenstein, his dadn and brother, Jim, had been at Parker in the spring and that Freddy was a great driver, why don't you have Freddy drive the DeSilva and I can drive the Glastron.

Just as Jack was getting out of the car at LAX, he said, "Call Freddy and have him drive the DeSilva."

My "OLD MAN" wasn't sure why I'd drive a 67 MPH boat when I could run a 74 MPH boat. Havasu was about a month away and my dad worked on the DeSilva daily, getting it ready for Freddy.

When Thanksgiving weekend rolled around, it was decided that Jimmy would ride out with me and my dad with the DeSilva. Well, Jimmy and I weren't too "JIGGY" going to Havasu for four days with my mom and dad. So we told my dad we'd take Jimmy truck and follow them.

In those days, I dated a bar tender whose dad owned Mandel Shoes. She seemed to liek me and the drinks were always free. So, Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Thursday, Jimmy and I went to "THE BAR" near SC (Where jimmy had actually been stabbed one time)....and had too much to drink, but the price was right.

Thursday morning my dad had us up a 7:00 A.M., though I wasn't to meet Jack Leek until Friday. So, we head out about 7:30 and had for my uncle's in San Bernardino. My uncle, in a "Festive Mood" offered us WHISKEY and sardines, it was 8;45 A.M. But it was Thanksgiving. After a few sardines.....and whiskies we head out for Havasu.

My dad is leading pulling the 20 foot DeSilva and Jimmy and I are following. Between free drinks the night before and whiskey for breakfast, I'm hoping for a good "NAP".....We are just getting to the desert, about 50 miles from my uncle's, we start seeing wheel nuts fly off. The trailer tire and wheel come off and pass up my OLD MAN.

Jimmy is out in the street finding some lug nuts, we get the wheel back on by hammering the nuts on the threads, but the wheel is back on and we are "COOL".

We get about 50 miles from Amboy and there is a car was smoke pouring out of it, so we stop to help the guy. We get the fire out and tell him we are leaving.....as my dad pulls back on the road, he runs over some cactus and blows the tire out on the trailer.

We have a "HELL OF A TIME" getting the wheel off because the thread are so screwed up for the wheel coming off, but we get it. The "OLD MAN" and jimmy say they'll go get a new tire in Amboy and I was to try to get the treads "Smoothed Out"...I pull a lug nut off the good tire and try to clean the threads. I have by now a 200 PROOF HANG OVER....Jimmy and my dad are gone about two hours, but they come back with a "PATCHED" tire. And we get the tire on.

We finally pull in to Havasu, dark, tired, hung over. We check into the Havasu city Hotel. Then, we head for "Crazy Ed's" the old bar in Havasu at the time. Jimmy and I notice we have a big room at the Hotel. I say, "Great I have some of my fraternity brother coming to stay with us."

We drink a few beers with Ray Nydahl, Mouse, Mac McDonald, maybe Bruce Summers and enjoy the evening.

The next day, several of my "FRAT BROS" show up and I tell them, we have the "COOL" hotel room. Freddy and his wife fly in and without me knowing it, are in my room.

Also, I don't know it, but this is Freddy and Linda's "HONEY MOON".....Linda still laughs about it, she says, "I spent my Honey Moon with Ron Hill and his Fraternity Brothers at Havasu...in the same hotel room". Little did I know that Jack Leek had booked Freddy and me in the same room.

The 1967 Havasu Outboard World Championship at Havasu was not sanctioned by UIM. My brother talked Bob McCullough about applying for a UIM World Championship. My brother was Region 12 Chairman of APBA. it wasn't until 1968 that Havsu became a UIM World Championships.

The race started with 126 boat crossing the starting line. About 30 minutes in, Ted may's Switzer Wing sank. About 45 minutes in to the 4 hours fo the two tday 8 hour race, my Glastron blew a hole in the side and bottom. I pulled into the pits figuring I was "DONE"....Ted May jumped into the boat and said, "It just has a hole in the side.....If it fils with wat just go wide and let it drain."

I went back out and rove for the first four hours with my Ray Nydahl motors and ended up one lap ahead. Jimbo, with a Ray Nydahl motor was leading the Single engine class. I won the Tin Engone class, Jimbo and Ted Msay won the Single engine class.

Fred had been in the pits and out of the its all day. No one could figure why the DeSilva wasn't running better. Freddy, 20 years later admitted, the waves from 126 boats were crazy and the DeSilva didn't handle that well...He said, I'd go run about two laps, and come in, ready to quit...Everyone would say, what is wrong??? and send me out again."
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-20-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mac "Wilbur" McDonald Repaired My Galstron

Four hours is a long time to drive a race boat, especially when there are 125 other boats on a four mile course. Sunday morning, Jimmy Jost came up to me and said, "The only boat to worry about is the Triple Rayson Craft of Rudy Ramos. They are one lap behind you. Sunday's race was easier than Saturday's as many had dropped out but he wind did come up.

Officially Mike Reagan, the governor's son, Bill Cooper and Rudy Ramos won the 1967 Havasu World Outboard Championships. But, but cause their were not protests allowed, the 1968 Havasu Wold Championships was run under UIM sanction.

This race wasn't the end of Fred Hauenstein's racing. Freddy and I drove together at the 1968 Parker 9 Hours and the 1969 9 Hour. We were the first outboard to ever lead the Parker 9 Hour.

FYI: Jim Hauenstein, "Gentleman Jim" was sponsoring my son, Chad Hill, in PROP T.O.U.R. Formula One Powerboats when Jim was killed, June 1, 1997 in a racing accident in Washington, North Carolina. I miss my friend, "FAT JIMMY" Hauenstein.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-18-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I ran the DeSilva at 74 MPH on my Keller. Jack out his Keller in the boat and he drove it. I said he saw 74 MPH, maybe 75. I said, "MY Glastron goes 67 MPH and I want to run it at Havasu. Jack wasn't happy with my decision. On the way back to my dad's house and on to LAX, I kept telling Jack that "Freddy Hauenstein, his dadn and brother, Jim, had been at Parker in the spring and that Freddy was a great driver, why don't you have Freddy drive the DeSilva and I can drive the Glastron.

Just as Jack was getting out of the car at LAX, he said, "Call Freddy and have him drive the DeSilva."

My "OLD MAN" wasn't sure why I'd drive a 67 MPH boat when I could run a 74 MPH boat. Havasu was about a month away and my dad worked on the DeSilva daily, getting it ready for Freddy.

When Thanksgiving weekend rolled around, it was decided that Jimmy would ride out with me and my dad with the DeSilva. Well, Jimmy and I weren't too "JIGGY" going to Havasu for four days with my mom and dad. So we told my dad we'd take Jimmy truck and follow them.

In those days, I dated a bar tender whose dad owned Mandel Shoes. She seemed to liek me and the drinks were always free. So, Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Thursday, Jimmy and I went to "THE BAR" near SC (Where jimmy had actually been stabbed one time)....and had too much to drink, but the price was right.

Thursday morning my dad had us up a 7:00 A.M., though I wasn't to meet Jack Leek until Friday. So, we head out about 7:30 and had for my uncle's in San Bernardino. My uncle, in a "Festive Mood" offered us WHISKEY and sardines, it was 8;45 A.M. But it was Thanksgiving. After a few sardines.....and whiskies we head out for Havasu.

My dad is leading pulling the 20 foot DeSilva and Jimmy and I are following. Between free drinks the night before and whiskey for breakfast, I'm hoping for a good "NAP".....We are just getting to the desert, about 50 miles from my uncle's, we start seeing wheel nuts fly off. The trailer tire and wheel come off and pass up my OLD MAN.

Jimmy is out in the street finding some lug nuts, we get the wheel back on by hammering the nuts on the threads, but the wheel is back on and we are "COOL".

We get about 50 miles from Amboy and there is a car was smoke pouring out of it, so we stop to help the guy. We get the fire out and tell him we are leaving.....as my dad pulls back on the road, he runs over some cactus and blows the tire out on the trailer.

We have a "HELL OF A TIME" getting the wheel off because the thread are so screwed up for the wheel coming off, but we get it. The "OLD MAN" and jimmy say they'll go get a new tire in Amboy and I was to try to get the treads "Smoothed Out"...I pull a lug nut off the good tire and try to clean the threads. I have by now a 200 PROOF HANG OVER....Jimmy and my dad are gone about two hours, but they come back with a "PATCHED" tire. And we get the tire on.

We finally pull in to Havasu, dark, tired, hung over. We check into the Havasu city Hotel. Then, we head for "Crazy Ed's" the old bar in Havasu at the time. Jimmy and I notice we have a big room at the Hotel. I say, "Great I have some of my fraternity brother coming to stay with us."

We drink a few beers with Ray Nydahl, Mouse, Mac McDonald, maybe Bruce Summers and enjoy the evening.

The next day, several of my "FRAT BROS" show up and I tell them, we have the "COOL" hotel room. Freddy and his wife fly in and without me knowing it, are in my room.

Also, I don't know it, but this is Freddy and Linda's "HONEY MOON".....Linda still laughs about it, she says, "I spent my Honey Moon with Ron Hill and his Fraternity Brothers at Havasu...in the same hotel room". Little did I know that Jack Leek had booked Freddy and me in the same room.

The 1967 Havasu Outboard World Championship at Havasu was not sanctioned by UIM. My brother talked Bob McCullough about applying for a UIM World Championship. My brother was Region 12 Chairman of APBA. it wasn't until 1968 that Havsu became a UIM World Championships.

The race started with 126 boat crossing the starting line. About 30 minutes in, Ted may's Switzer Wing sank. About 45 minutes in to the 4 hours fo the two tday 8 hour race, my Glastron blew a hole in the side and bottom. I pulled into the pits figuring I was "DONE"....Ted May jumped into the boat and said, "It just has a hole in the side.....If it fils with wat just go wide and let it drain."

I went back out and rove for the first four hours with my Ray Nydahl motors and ended up one lap ahead. Jimbo, with a Ray Nydahl motor was leading the Single engine class. I won the Tin Engone class, Jimbo and Ted Msay won the Single engine class.

Fred had been in the pits and out of the its all day. No one could figure why the DeSilva wasn't running better. Freddy, 20 years later admitted, the waves from 126 boats were crazy and the DeSilva didn't handle that well...He said, I'd go run about two laps, and come in, ready to quit...Everyone would say, what is wrong??? and send me out again."
    CRAZY ED'S
    The first place I ever saw PEANUT SHELLS 2 inch's deep on the floor.

Ray Nydahl trying to backflip his chair every time a waitress passed behind him.

The best steak in town.

Bruce
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a 20' DeSilva. How about a picture?

Thread Information