Page 1 of 11 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hauenstein Family

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hauenstein Family

The WHOLE HAUENSTEIN FAMILY!!!!

When we get moving on this Encyclopedia, Hauenstein will take up several pages...

I could write a book about Donny Hauenstein, and I'm sure most of you never heard of him..

Everyone knew Arcadian....but ORANGE BOATS weren't just ARCADIAN, not sure when Hauenstein and orange came into being, but I remember it in the early '60's... (Jimmy was Arcadian Trucking)...

Freddy the racer, Mercury Racing big shot!!!

Mike and Danny Fred and Linda's sons... Seem that Mike Hauenstein works as a writer, seems he could tell us the Hauenstein history..

Of course, Old Fred could have his own book, maybe even a book about his airplanes...

And Francis Hauenstein, Freddy's mother, use to bring more food to the races than any of us could eat....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-13-2023 at 09:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Was Talking To Bruce Summers Today...

I was telling Bruce, that I'd known Freddy Hauenstein for 61 years....then, I said, Jimmy Hauenstein and I were friend for 53 years.... I said, "Jimmy and I threw rocks in the water before we knew what rocks were."

Jimmy and I were as close as brother, maybe closer...Jimmy loved to "WIN"... the contest didn't matter, he just liked to win, even if he acted like he didn't care...

At the Parker Enduro, when it was 9 Hours, Jimmy never raced....but what he and Olin Griswold, The Needles Playboy, would do is drink beer. Now they had a drinking buddy and that was my Old Man... The only job my dad had, and it was FAR FROM OFFICIAL was to add oil to my gas, at every pit stop....

As the OMC CREW would be adding gas, my OLD MAN would be adding oil. He never believed in the 50 to 1 stuff...So, as the OMC Crew added gas, the Old Man would add about two gallons of oil to my tank...

Well, we finished damn near every year, so, finally, someone decided that 20 to 1 was a good idea....

But I only stopped about every hour and half...So, Olin Griswold, The Needles Playboy, and Jimmy Hauenstein would tell my Old Man it was his "Turn" to buy beer.... Of course, they'd make him pay just before he added oil...then...a few minutes after he was back on shore, they'd tell him it was his "TURN" to buy beer...

At the end of the day, my dad asked, "When did you guys have a turn at buying beer?" They'd say, "we bought first.....
    About the third year of this ENDURO...My Old Man said, "Them SUM BITCHES ain't never bought any beer.".... I said...Sounds like Jimmy and Grizz!!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-09-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ain't Golfed in 34 Years...

As I was driving along the Needles Golf Course...and I was looking at the fence along holes 6 and 7...I remembered why they needed a fence there....Jimmy Hauenstein is gone, so he couldn't turn me in, but I'll say that someone drove their car out there once...during a boat race weekend...Do-Nuts at 2 A.M., no holes in one, but a few skid marks!!!!

I need to tell the story about Jimmy and his rockets to the moon... But I may need to make a drawing...

Seems, when Jimmy Hauenstein was in school his friends called him "FAT JIMMY". When Jimmy was in Junior HIgh, the Math teacher made a chart with Rockets to the Moon...The concept being that your ROCKET would be at the moon for OPEN HOUSE...Well, Fat Jimmy figured that every Sum Bitch in Kingsburg would be at the moon...So, he never did his homework...

At Open House, Jimmy's rocket was still on the ground, in fact, it had been on the ground for so long it fell over. Everyone else's rocket's were at the moon....But who do you think is remembered, even today, for NOT going to the MOON??? You got it, FAT JIMMY Hauenstein....

Oh, those were the days...Buy a case of beer or go to Quincy to get a piston???? Answer: We can always go to Quincy!!!

Hey, Jimmy...The next time I'm in Kingsburg, Ken Christy and I are going through your garage.....and we're going to take all your beer...!!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-09-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Orange boats

Dan and I just learned last week the story behind the orange boats. We had always assumed it had to do with the state of Missouri and the Missouri Tigers.

Frederick Hauenstein (Granddad) actually was an 1880 graduate of the Missouri School of Mines at Rolla, and one of the very few people to make it to their 80th class reunion. His father, Capt. William Hauenstein, was a steamboat captain and eventual boatbuilder and designer in Missouri.

The Hauenstein family’s relationship with the Seebold family dates back to 19th century Missouri, I believe. (Dad?)

After working various mining and engineering jobs across the Western US Granddad ended up in Exeter, California (and later Kingsburg), where he built some race boats on the side, in addition to his other hobbies. My grandfather, Frederick William Hauenstein, raced these boats for a number of years, raced against my father, Frederick Marshall Hauenstein, and eventually retired to focus on his sons’ racing of alky boats and go-carts.

In the meantime - and I'm not sure what year - the boats became orange, as Grandma Frances had a tablecloth with a color orange she really liked.

-Michael Hauenstein
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

lol the first time i attended a Hauenstein cookout (anyone that has not raced @ Oshkosh should, if not for the racing then for the Food & Fun at the Hauenstein's. Thanks again Fred & Linda)
    I asked your Dad why you family team was THAT color of orange. he repied (with a grin) that it was for safety reasons i felt there might have been just a little bit more to it than that

Post Thanks / Like

Default You Got Me Confused...

Frederick Hauenstein (Granddad) actually was an 1880....

Mikey, your granddad is OLD FRED......I don't need to do the math...actually arithmetic...to know OLD Fred ain't 125 years old...Now, Freddy may act 125...but that is a different story...

I thought OLD FRED, your grandfather, built the boats....

Exeter.....When Jimbo, Ernie Dawe, Ted May and I use to go up north to race.....we'd read the signs.......Exeter, we pronounced it "X" EAT er.....You may never know how many nigths boat racers sleep in the parking lot of Fred's Cafe in Kingburg, but trust me it is in the hundreds......But no one knew how to pronounce Conejo Avenue (Cone NAY HOE is the correct Spanish pronunciation, I know now...) But we called it "CONE JOE". We'd always tell everyone just pull off at "CONE JO" and sleep in Fred's Cafe parking lot, then get gas, 2 CENT a GALLON TRUCKER'S DISCOUNT you know, it would be OK with Fred...

Ask Bill Boyes how the Chili Sizes were at Fred's Cafe...

I was going up to Chowchilla for a race, my wife stayed home with Jessica because she said it was going to be too hot...So, I took Chad with me in our Winnie (Winnebago)...Chad was about 4...I wake up in the morning with a flat tire..I get to looking at my tires, hell, they are all worn out....I call Jimmy at about 7....he ain't that happy to hear from me!!!

Jimmy says he can get me a deal, but the guy only has four tires...So, I buy four, and while they are putting on the tires Chad is rolling around in the dust that is about 4 inches deep... We leave the two front ones on and Jimmy tells me I can get two in Santa Ana...We hose Chad off and I'm off to the races, I get to Chowchilla in time to race....

When I get back to the OC, I go and get the two front tires....The guy puts them on and says, "Fred's Cafe is PAYING."...We get to checking prices...Jimmy sold me six tires cheaper than the guy in Santa Ana would have sold me two....Of course, I still told Jimmy he owed me big time for buying tires from "ARCADIAN TRUCKING"....Sometimes, it is nice to have friends...

One night, after an USC game....Jimmy and I were having a few beers with a young thing that her daddy owned Mandell Shoes...Seems her name was Toni....As we walked out of the bar, Jimmy told me that right here is where he got stabbed....which was true....I told him that was a cheap trick, trying to get sympathy from the young lady, as there were two of us and only one of her...I'll never tell if the trick worked....

Truth is, Jimmy had been stabbed up by SC and damn near died....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-18-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default P 51 Tail Feathers...

Now Mikey...You know your Grandfather Fred flew P 51 Mustangs, don't you....But what you may not know is your grandmother didn't know he flew P 51 Mustangs.... Care to comment???
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-03-2005 at 11:37 AM.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron, I thought you So-Cal guys knew rabbit was pronounced con YEAH ho.

bill boyes

John Carnakas and I would always stop at Freds truck stop and get a Chili Size. Don't remember ever paying as Grandma Frances would comp us and say come back any time boys.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 04-04-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'll Help Explain

But where to start...

MY grandfather (Frederick (nmn) Hauenstein) was (is) referred to in the family as "Granddad," thus the confusion for Ron (isn't too hard to accomplish that level of confusion). He is Dan's and Mikey's great-grandfather and was born in Missouri in 1880. Lived to a ripe and active old age of 105. He actually was the designer of the runabouts my father and a few others raced in the 40s, and did most of the building, with Pop's occasional help. The family knows my father, Frederick William Hauenstein, who Ron calls "Old Fred, " as "Pop" or "Grandpa Fred." APBA racing knew him as Fred Hauenstein, Sr.

Orange - - - "Mom," or Frances (my mother), or "Grandma Frances" claims that she had a table cloth that had a great color of orange in it and they copied that color for the race boats back in the 1940s. I think Pop liked the story that it was in honor of the U of Missouri Tigers, which is where he went to school (late 30s). Probably both stories, when combined, are true. I just remember that our race boats have always been orange. And a particular orange, too. From the safety angle, it didn't prevent my DSH getting hit at the last race this year!

Chiliburgers at Fred's - - - They were a big seller, especially shortly after 2 am when the bars closed. Had lots of onions on them for those that wished to hide the alcohol on their breath, too. There were also thick milk shakes; and no truck stop would be without great coffee.

More later. Jim and cars? Jim and collect phone calls? Jim, the LA area attorney? Jim got his BA in International Relations from USC and his JD from UCLA. Became a member of the California bar. Went into the trucking business.....

Fred "Fred, Jr."
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Thread Information