Thread: Hauenstein Family

Threaded View

oldalkydriver

Default Hauenstein Family

Fred,

When my dad, John Toprahanian and I used to travel up north from San Diego, we often spent the night in your dad's parking lot. I always thought it was because dad and John were tired! I think the real reason was the food. Seems your dad and/or your mom very seldom charged us.

As to the color orange, in the fifties, I remember your dad telling John that the association should make everyone paint their helmets that 'bright orange' as they could be seen easier when they were taking an unscheduled bath. Back then people had too many colors on their helmets. Wagner was yellow and black as was Manual Carnackis. Pep Hubbell and Bobby Parrish all black with white lettering, Al Brooks Jr. Yellow and purple, Don Biagio purple and white, Lou Morphy red and white along with Tommy Ingalls. Boots Morphy had red and white with 'Shooting Star' and Boots written on it. I believe Chuck Parsons was yellow and white. John and my dad had this ugly maroon or burgundy. Bob and Alex Cockburn white with a colored diamond shape in the middle. My uncle Fred wore and old high school football helmet dark on both sides with a white stripe in the middle. Walt Gillo started off with some dark color until he cloth the deck of his Phantom boat then he and deck rider went all white. Bill Cones was some copper color while Ralph Holmes was a dark brown.

Myself, I was glad to see the orange rule come in as I spent lots of time in the water for a few years.

I drove down the old 99 a few years back, and I couldn't even find the old truck stop. Of course that isn't really saying anything. I had trouble finding Lake Ming, when we last saw each other.

Good ole days. Can never get them back, but on the other hand, they can never take them out of my memory either.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-18-2020 at 12:43 PM.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Thread Information