Reading this brings a bunch of Hauenstein stories to mind, and all bring a big grin . . .

About 1982 I had quit driving my E-Production boat (raquet ball to the eye, surgeon said no raceboat for three years) so I was turning wrenches on champ boats from the SunDance Marine shops in Florida. (Nick Cripps, Ted Jones, Mickey Garrett, John Nichols, Randy Gore)

Two days after I had bought my first brand new truck we raced in Stuart Florida. Jimmy borrowed a Hodges we had available and was there with Ken Stevenson. After a lot of broken parts I went back to Lauderdale in the shop truck for more parts. I come back and my new (two day old!) truck is gone. I look around and see it make a u-turn on the highway and pull into the parking lot with Jimmy at the wheel. He wants directions to a party. I inquire about his truck . . . "dunno where it came from, but its full of gas" . . . It's mine Jim. . . He and Kenny exchange looks, and decide that since its my truck, its ok if I come with them to the party. I don't think I ever bought a beer in Jimmy's presence for the rest of his life.

Jimmy and I in a restaurant in Sacramento 1988(?). The waitress wants to know if we want to order wine with dinner. I was a kid. What do I know about red or white goes with what . . . Jimmy looks at me and says "dear boy, never limit yourself . . . why shouldn't we have both! - - - I think about that statement alot to this day.

1983 after the Ironton Ohio IOGP race Ted Jones and I make our first pilgramage to Oshkosh to explore help from Mercury. Fred welcomes us like long lost family. Says he's got to call Linda, we're gonna have brats and beer and just a grand time . . . here's the address. Two Florida boys get in the truck and immediately look at each other . . . what the hell is a brat!? . . . I don't know, but we're gonna have to eat them and smile, whatever they are!
We at ate good food, drank cold beer, and enjoyed classic Hauenstein hospitality.

Best one liner - Linda Hauenstein - St. Louis early eighties. Supposed to race in the Mississippi but weathered out. Large drinkfest ensues at Seebolds house at 9am. Freddy discovers how much fun beer and a trampoline can be.
Linda: "If that drunken fool ends up paralized from this I'm gonna push him in the river on the way out of town" Expressed with love of course.

Like everyone, I miss my friend Jim. Is it just me, or is the thought of Jimmy as this crazy old man hystericaly funny?