Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hauenstein Family

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Know...

E-mail your address, and I'll send you the photo...

Here is what's on the back...Picture isn't really clear.

No idea where...Kingsburg Hunt and Gun Club??? Weeds look a little like King's River stuff???
    Attached Images Attached Images

oldalkydriver

Exclamation Hauenstein Family

1968 was the year I reappeared in California. I was working at Tahoe and traveled to a few races in Northern California. John T. would tell me that Jay Root and Fred Jr. were pretty good friends when it came to 'F' Runabout. He stated that whenever possible, Fred Jr. rode for Jay. I believe Jay was the only driver that I didn't even get a ride during testing with. I just can't remember! But I do remember Kingsburg. I liked it there, a little rough at times for a hydro, kind of like Lodi in that since. I rode with my dad in Kingsburg twice and believe me it was tough hanging on there.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite a contrast from hanging on the deck handles, but here's one of Fred just inside Homer Kinkaid and the Pro Nationals in Depue, 1972. This was C hydro and Fred won with Billy Seebold in 2nd place followed by Dan Kirts.

Post Thanks / Like

I came across this photo of Fred in the pits from Winona, Minnesota. He won both heats 0f 725 hydro at the Pro Nationals in a very convincing performance.

Post Thanks / Like

Note the early Nydahl CD ignition system. That 12 volt system could throw a spark!

Post Thanks / Like

Default It could throw a spark Jeff....

....but five years earlier that spark could be put out by a weather forcaster's 50% chance of rain. Fred's wanderings about the plant, and I'm sure , through some personel experience he must have discovered what a mist in a turn did to the OMC CD ingition system.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nydahl Coil Plate, OMC Coils And Pulse Pack, But:

The ignition system used the OMC coils and pulse pack like the Nydahl system it was based on, but John Alden made up an electronic "adapter" and the sensors/trigger system under the flywheel. It was waterproof, unlike the points system. I could run under a waterfall (almost) with it. It didn't kick back like the points because you had to have a good arm to crank it fast enough (RPM) to make the trigger work and fire it. The problem then was that with the 725's compression, few people could pull quick enough to make it light up. The 500 and 350 were no problem.

Hi Wayne; the picture is of me and the late Mike Harbushka working on his 350 Konig that I drove. He liked those go-kart pipes - and they worked and were quieter.

Thanks for posting the pictures, some good memories!

Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Fred.

The points were the weak link in our system then. We didn't have the problem cranking the 725 as it wasn't me. Pit Boss "Baldy Baldwin" went into it with his body so hard that he only used half a wrap to start a motor. However, it would occassionally bite back. My Dad made all his crank ropes from 1" dowells and 1/4" rope. He had a strong grip and he wouldn't turn loose. I have seen the times when the 725 kicked, it pulled the knot through the dowell. My Dad would grimace, suck it up, and give a real snap the next time, but you could tell by the look on his face that THAT REALLY HURT.

Post Thanks / Like

I took this photo in 1975 at the Kilos in WI.
    Mark Nelson

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred H's Mod 50 Kilo Boat---

Quote Originally Posted by MN1
    I took this photo in 1975 at the Kilos in WI.
    Mark Nelson
    Fred set the kilo record with this rig at 103[Fred correct me on this]. Notice the nice engine cowl. I loaned that to Fred, but he gave it to me a few years earlier. He did'nt need it any more and it was perfect for my Butts hydro with the six on it. The gearcase is an Eldredge I loaned him. It had a very low water pickup, ideal for kilo set ups. Fred rebuilt the gearcase so I guess I made out pretty good on the deal.
    Bruce C. Summers
    V-71

Thread Information