Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hauenstein Family

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod 50 and UIM OE Record

It was 107 MPH, but who's counting.

Had a lot of help from Jim Nerstrom, Mike Anselm and Terry Robinson - all OMC Engineering employees - to set up for and establish this record. They helped put the outfit together and do all the testing. Then I broke the two-blade (Bruce's) prop we had found worked best a couple of days before the event and Don Henrich made a new one which was a three blade. I just put it on and ran the kilo - whew!

Fred
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Was Jealous...

When you broke that KILO RECORD, I was very jealous....as I wished I had been working for OMC....but they didn't offer me a job...

A few pictures from the Hauenstein garage...

Jimmy's old MOD VP, that Chris Bush drove...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-18-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimmy Hauenstein's Garage....Continued...

Some interesting stuff in Jimmy's garage...The Arcadian, an 8 engine (8 V-6 Mercury Outboards) is parked their...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-07-2006 at 11:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimmy Hauenstein, "The Arcadian Star"

After visiting Freddy last Friday, I visited Jimmy.....

Jimmy has a nice view of the mountains, where he and his grandpa use to walk and fly kites...

It has been a short nine years......

I know it was difficult for Freddy to show me Jimmy's garage, but I loved the chance to see the Arcadian Unlimited Hydro and other stuff...Like Freddy's 1968 GTO.....Fred let this car behind when he went to work for OMC (Before he worked at Mercury)....Just never got around to picking up the car....She's sat for almost 35 years...

That Mark 58 is brand new, Freddy stole the mag arm off it, otherwise it is new, 1958, and original...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-18-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default GO Karts....

Go Karts...The Hauenstein Boys raced in the Bahama Islands with Red Chrss, the guy who later promoted Offshore Racing in the Bahamas...

New V-4 Evinrude Strangler flywheels???

I think Freddy and Linda will stay i n Wisconsin and leave Jimmy's garage in California....

Hubbell overdrive unit, and Quincy HORNS for a PR 65.....

The OLD GUY is Fred Hauenstein....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod 50 and UIM OE Record

We had a great time putting the stuff together for the Mod 50 / OE Record. Fred never had a chance to run the boat fast before the actual kilo, the only thing that that kept him on the water during the run was the "suck factor" (technical term) - Fred insisted it was just talent. Whatever the reason, it was an incredible run. If Fred had kept his throttle arm inside the boat for those runs he could have gone faster. You need to get Fred to tell you who the inspector was for the kilo and how he got through inspection. Another great story. I would take care with the OLD GUY comments.

Kart looks like a Rupp - Dart Kart. Still have my Fox hanging on the garage wall.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Jim:

The kart is a Go-Kart from the original company in Azusa, California.

Jim Nerstrom, Mike Anselm, Terry Robinson and I did the Mod 50 kilo record pretty much on our own. It wasn't officially sanctioned by the OMC Race Group and we paid our own expenses. OMC Engineering loaned the engine and built the tower housing and I borrowed the gear case from Bruce Summers, used my boat(s), etc. When we broke the good (borrowed) prop (Bruce's), OMC Propellers/Don Henrich and the late Harold Nauss got involved and whipped out a "replacement" (in one day).

Inspection of the Mod 50 for the kilo record at 107+ MPH was by none other than Edgar Rose: There were several OMC people that were very pleased with the new record, so when Edgar started the inspection process he didn't want or expect any trouble. Edgar checked our fuel and all the engine requirements carefully for compliance, except that he measured one cylinder and multiplied by three. He came up with too much displacement. Now he was faced with the possibility of disqualifying his own company's employees and handing the record over to a Mercury which had gone through the same day at some speed in the 70s. We assured him the engine was legal - we knew it was, it just had this one sloppy cylinder from too many hone and re-ring jobs.

After a lot of convincing, he measured each cylinder bore and each stroke individually (and more accurately), computed each cylinder's capacity and added them up - and it was legal.

So Edgar said "Congratulations, you have the new record." To which I replied that he hadn't checked the boat's length yet, since Mod 50 required a 13 foot boat. (A set-up in the works: We had spent a lot of time worrying about the rules and this boat, my BellCraft 700cc hydro, versus a faster one I had that was too short by an inch.) Edgar got his tape and measured the boat and came up with 12 feet, 10.5 inches and was ready to blow a gasket until I reminded him that the OPC rules allowed a 2 inch tolerance. Edgar said "Get this ****ing boat out of here!"

But that's not all: On Monday we all received an internal memo at OMC Engineering that any future activities of this sort would be preceded by an inspection at OMC facilities before attending the event. Signed by Edgar Rose, Engineering VP, copied to C.D. Strang, etc..

Jim can probably add more to this story, too. It was a lot of fun, from the planning, the testing where we had to carry the boat over a stone fence and down a long hill to get to water to test, the last-minute scramble, and the record. Then OMC Marketing wanted pictures and we had to go set up the boat and run at the test site afterwards, too.

We even put the team together again and ran 1100cc PRO hydro at the Winona, MN, PRO nationals that year. Another story.

Fred

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default By The Way:

I wasn't worried so much about keeping my arm inside the boat. I was worried about keeping myself inside the boat!

For several reason, I still think we could have gone quite a bit faster.

In 1978 OMC bought a hydro from Ron Anderson for the OE Worlds at Dayton. That was the first hydro in which I really experienced blow-out. (We had gone all through that problem in alky DRR in the early 60s with the Quincy-Mercs and Quickies at about 76 MPH, but I'd never experienced it in a hydro.) I was running at 108 at the end of the straight at Dayton when it would come unglued. No real problem - just hesitate until it hooked back up. But, the water got too rough for hydros for that race and the tunnel boats beat us all, including the hot Konigs, etc. (See Wayne's posts about this race.)

The point is, at a relatively conservative height and acceleration prop/set-up, dragging a Keller pitot tube, I could run 108 on the course at Dayton, so I'm sure there was more in the kilo set-up if we had the time to wring it out. Never-the-less, the Mod 50 record stood for some years.

Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

Hey Dad,

Looks like you're banging your head against the door of the Arcadian parts dept. - was Mr. Hill giving you a hard time?

mah

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred...You got me to thinking

We made a 108 average in 1977 with our dual rotary valve Konig we got from Marshall Grant, but it was entered as 1100cc hydro. It was really an OE. I got to thinking why didn't we also run it as an OE? So I looked it up and found out we rolled the dice wrong.

We had won the Nationals with that motor the previous month in Hinton, and even though it ran bad the last lap and a half, we thought it was because I had such a lead and had backed off too much, loading up the engine. We didn't bother to go through it. All we did was change plugs.

Well, when we started to make our first run at Devils Lake, it wouldn't even get on a plane. I came back to the pits 3 times to change props. We had a 1:1 unit on it and we finally had to put the C prop on it to get on a plane. The first two attempts were for the 1100 hydro record belonging to Hu Entrop. Our best was 2 mph short of Entrop's record and 3 short of claiming a new one.

I found out that we DID go for the OE. That was the last year methanol was legal in OE. We knew something was wrong with the motor, but it was still running. We didn't know what the OE record was and it was obvious that we weren't going to break the 1100 hydro record, so we decided to go for the OE. We didn't know what the record was or who held it. Neither did the officials. It isn't listed in the APBA book except under Mod 50. I guess no one had a UIM record book there.

Our last pair of runs was for OE, but the top front piston that had a broken ring (unbeknownst to us at that time) further disintegrated, resulting in an 88mph average. Your record was 107.629 and to establish a new record, we had to equal or exceed 108.436. Oh Well!

I imagine all previous records were with gasoline, so if my engine would have been running right, it would have been like a motor with steroids . So I am glad you held the OE record for a long time

Hey Mikey....Finally got my E mail working again. Took almost two hours and a couple of tekkies, but the new one is MORT73@hughes.net

Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Thread Information