Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Hauenstein Family

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the last Mod 50 record was Jimbo's at 112+ MPH. The OE record got broken fairly soon after mine, by a German with a 705 cc Koenig (just big enough to not be an OD). Jimbo's was also the OE (O-850) record, but it got frozen due to a rule change and now it's only 102-something MPH.

Mikey: I was trying to lock the door before Ron got into the inner sanctum!
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi Wayne:

By 1977 a German (I forgot his name) had broken my OE record, but by a small margin. He ran a normal (single rotary valve) engine that was really a punched out 700 (to about 705cc) so it would qualify as an OE. Quite a few years later, my friend Michael Werner had that 705 Koenig power head and gave it to me - I still have it. It is just an interesting piece of the history...

Fred

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The flowers on Jim's stone

were placed there by his widow a few days before Ron took that picture. They came from plants at the property/ranch/home they owned in the Woodlake (California) area, where she had stopped by just to look.

Yes, it has been a short 9 years, Ron. We all miss Jim quite a bit.

Kathy is doing well and is moving back to California. She sold the beautiful home she built in Weatherford, Texas, and currently has her horses with friends in California while she relocates and moves.

YARD BIRD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo's mod 50 record

[QUOTE=Fred Hauenstein]I believe the last Mod 50 record was Jimbo's at 112+ MPH. The OE record got broken fairly soon after mine, by a German with a 705 cc Koenig (just big enough to not be an OD). Jimbo's was also the OE (O-850) record, but it got frozen due to a rule change and now it's only 102-something MPH.

Can you tell us about his BOAT? hydro? tunnel? motor ?
    Thanks- Roy Hodges

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Fred...how about a photo of that 705 Konig Michael gave you.

Roy, we haven't heard from Mike Ward in a long time. His book should have been ready by now and he should have the answer to your question. I will try out my new E mail and find out if the book is done.

Post Thanks / Like

Default From SAF Top Tunnel Drivers...

How could anyone really leave Fred Hauenstein, Jr. off that list?

Freddy is/was an engineering nerd... always messing with motors. He got his degrees in aeronautical and mechanical engineering.

He started Co driving with me. He never was given much seat time because I did all the testing. But, by 1978 Parker, he had been doing test drving for OMC, who he worked for at the time. At 34, I felt I was heading downhill. (I had two kids, MOD VP was catching my eye...) Fred was quicker in '78 than I.

After our Parker win, Fred went to work for Mercury. He was also driving for Mercury. At some Alabama race, he and Mr. Bill pulled a double blow over where Fred ended up with a broken hand. No blame was ever placed, but Seebold was Number One, at the time, and employees were not suppose to be "Blowing the doors off" the company's Number One Man...

So, Fred took a back seat...basically retired from driving... so he could follow his first love and that WAS ENGINEERING... Fred has been past APBA President and is very respected and important in UIM.

He did drive a few times after the Seeebold/Hauenstein Alabama Crash....His last effort was testing an S-3000 (When no one knew about S-3000's) during a Parker race when the transom pulled out and he did a two and half in the air and ended up stuck in the mud...with a throttle wire through his leg. Had he not been in the mud along the shore (That is where the boat flew) he would have been a boat racing statistic.

The truth is Fred won many APBA National Championship where Bill Seebold finished behind him. Fred won the John Ward Thophy Race for 500 CC Outboards..something Seebold never did.

Fred drove for Barry Woods, and turned the fasted laps any Scotti turned at Parker, until a sponson runner came off and almost decapitated Fred....Fred had the savy of a Tony Stewart. He came from Sprint Racing but he could drive all day. Fred single handedly lead the Parker Enduro for 6 HOURS one year, only to have he bottom blow out with 30 minutes to go...

Fred was never a "TAKER" from the Sport. He always gave more than he took. Brother Jim was NEVER considered a good driver....but everyone loved him...Brother Donny, was the best driver in the family. He just couldn't seem to wake up in time to go to the driver's meeting or remember which day the race was....

If you ever saw Rich Fuchlin, Bill Rucker, John Soto, Harry Bartolomei, Walter Huhn, Ron Hill, Dave Nichols and Fred Hauenstein on the same race course with 13 foot DeSilva's with 40 cubic inch Quincy's racing side by side for five laps on a half mile track....You'd know Hauenstein can DRIVE ANYTHING...Don't ever forget this is were Billy Seebold came from also.

Look at DePue stats, Hauenstein has more wins than Seebold.

NOTE: The Arcadian Star http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...read.php?t=128
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-12-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Let The Facts Ruin A Good Story!

Ron - some of that is a little over the top! But thanks anyway.

Correction: I was working for OMC at the time of the Alabama incident (August 1978) and "quit" tunnel boats and changed companies in September of 1978. I drove tunnels again only after safety cockpits were in use.

I'll leave the rest for another time.

Jimbo set the Mod 50 record with his little blue Molinari tunnel boat and an OMC engine that was a few evolutionary steps further down the road. Quite an accomplishment. (Nerstrom - comments? I was a Mercury guy by then.)

Wayne: I made a few changes to the 705 Koenig (put on my 48mm carbs, Ron Anderson pipes, my tower, clamps and Eldredge gear case, etc.) so when I show you a picture it won't look too exotic.

Fred

Post Thanks / Like

Default Still waiting Fred.

Hey Mike----Been waiting for several months for some inside stories on the Hauenstein family racing careers. We didn't have near enough time to cover even a small part of it. How about that story when you and Kate were dating and you took her to see you race the first time?

The last time I stopped by Joes in Stafford, he gave me this June 1992 Propeller. This was what was in it that he spotted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default quickly...

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Hey Mike----Been waiting for several months for some inside stories on the Hauenstein family racing careers. We didn't have near enough time to cover even a small part of it. How about that story when you and Kate were dating and you took her to see you race the first time?

The last time I stopped by Joes in Stafford, he gave me this June 1992 Propeller. This was what was in it that he spotted.
    That’s a fine looking photo. I suppose they wouldn’t have used the picture of me with the Bud Girls in Propeller… but I digress. I think I’m wearing an Oshkosh Eagles middle school football T-shirt in the photo. I was the 4’11” WR/KR for that particular team; needless to say I ended up playing soccer when I got to high school (I weigh about twice as much now). A little-known fact: This photo launched the “trucker hat” fad that swept through youth culture at the turn of the millennium.

That Dayton race was the start of a pretty good season. I had some ups and downs in the previous seasons. 1989 was my first full year of racing and I think there was some rule that you couldn’t run the Merc 7.5 J motor at the Stock Nationals. I usually ran Gordie Miller’s former “Lucky Duck” JSH at local races, I think it was a Turner hull; Andy Anderson ran a sister hull at that time. I borrowed equipment from the Schaubs and Hemps to run JSH at the Lawrenceville, PA Nationals and was in position to qualify for the finals after heat one, but unbeknownst to us the boat leaked and I couldn’t get on plane for the second heat of qualifying. Oops. My brother was 15 at the time and ran the 28-W Brain Wave in JSH for the last time that year, but had a disappointing finals experience. You might not want to remind him of that.

The following year I took over running the Brain Wave and qualified for the finals in Wakefield, but an electrical problem relegated me to watching from the infield. More of the same at the 1991 Stock Nationals in Youngstown, OH — this time a weak water pump impeller and a faulty inspection process kept me on the beach for the JSH finals. (And a theme emerges: nothing was my fault.) I did however finish second in JSR that year which buoyed our spirits after a dismal week. We could never get too down, though, because we pitted next to the Palmquists who had a much worse week, a Hall-of-Fame–horrible week.

In May 1992 I set the record at Dayton. I think the Divisionals were in Beloit and I think I won that, and then we went to Wakefield for the combined Stock/MOD Nationals. The Mods ran the first weekend before the Stocks showed up. I ran J MOD for the first time using Doug Schaub’s motor. We had no idea what to expect but saw how fast Brian Trolian was in testing and didn’t get our hopes up too high. Then the race started — apparently we had some fast equipment, won that race and then went out and won JSH, going away, later in the week. Then we went to Yelm, WA in September and I humiliated myself by not figuring out the start clock in the only heat I ended up running in “record” water.

We ended up buying that FA engine from the Schaubs and it has been running strong since; John Palmquist and I have each won the Nationals multiple times with it, in addition to Doug’s accomplishments with the same engine.

I'll get to that fun story about Kate later!

Post Thanks / Like

Great post Mike.

You're not alone with your clock experience at Yelm. It's always your first heat when everything is perfect and by the time you figure out what the deal is with the clock, It is too late. Of course you never seem to figure it out when you're in the perfect position.

Thread Information