Fred Bowden...

Sometimes, I wonder if I get too personal...if I do, we can always delete it...

The first time I remember Fred was at Stockton, 1979...I had a "HIGH DOLLAR" sponsor...motorhome, good equipment....

Fred showed up at this race with an old red Taylor MOD VP with a Johnson 200...everyone knew you needed a 235...and they worked on his truck, in the parking lot, all weekend. I thought to myself, "How does this sport attract THOSES kind of people??? He's trying to race a boat and doesn't even have a truck to get home with...".

Fred was an electrician, and had been laid off about this time... He and his late brother Larry, decided they buy a triangle piece of property on a freeway off ramp and build several buildings....Larry was a sheriff, but Fred needed a job...

I guess, we could say the rest is history...last I heard Bowden Development was building 300 to 600 homes a year, plus a high rise here and there...

I do know that when Eliminator Boats was trying to get their building done, that they were having troubles....the season was coming, Fred needed a race boat or two...Bob Leach asked Fred to help...and in short order, the factory was open...Fred was/is a man who gets things done.

Fred has opened his wallet to many, many new and old drivers...Sergio Calva, Chris Bush, John Castelli, Chad Hill to name a few. He was great competitor in MOD VP.

He has brought Todd, his son, through the ranks...Sport C, SST 60, SST 120 and now Champboat. I should add, Todd is about the nicest young man in the world....

Fred and his wife, Diane, have been married for a long time, but it seems they are still very close. At San Diego, every year, Bowden Development...throws a Pit Party...and everyone is invited....and I mean everyone...

Fred has been very loyal to Grand Prix Boats and Bruce Borequin. Their team runs the best equipment money can buy and Todd and Fred feel Grand Prix boats are the best.....Their ChampBoat standings show they are right...

Todd says it isn't true, but Diane says it is....Diane says that Todd had an autographed picture of Ron Hill when he was just a little guy....I choose to believe his mom...

The Bowden's are very active in ChampBoat Racing today and they plan to stay. Boat racing is lucky to have "THOSE TYPE" of people...

Thanks, Fred!!!!!