Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowden Development.... Fred Bowden

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bowden Development.... Fred Bowden

Fred Bowden...

Sometimes, I wonder if I get too personal...if I do, we can always delete it...

The first time I remember Fred was at Stockton, 1979...I had a "HIGH DOLLAR" sponsor...motorhome, good equipment....

Fred showed up at this race with an old red Taylor MOD VP with a Johnson 200...everyone knew you needed a 235...and they worked on his truck, in the parking lot, all weekend. I thought to myself, "How does this sport attract THOSES kind of people??? He's trying to race a boat and doesn't even have a truck to get home with...".

Fred was an electrician, and had been laid off about this time... He and his late brother Larry, decided they buy a triangle piece of property on a freeway off ramp and build several buildings....Larry was a sheriff, but Fred needed a job...

I guess, we could say the rest is history...last I heard Bowden Development was building 300 to 600 homes a year, plus a high rise here and there...

I do know that when Eliminator Boats was trying to get their building done, that they were having troubles....the season was coming, Fred needed a race boat or two...Bob Leach asked Fred to help...and in short order, the factory was open...Fred was/is a man who gets things done.

Fred has opened his wallet to many, many new and old drivers...Sergio Calva, Chris Bush, John Castelli, Chad Hill to name a few. He was great competitor in MOD VP.

He has brought Todd, his son, through the ranks...Sport C, SST 60, SST 120 and now Champboat. I should add, Todd is about the nicest young man in the world....

Fred and his wife, Diane, have been married for a long time, but it seems they are still very close. At San Diego, every year, Bowden Development...throws a Pit Party...and everyone is invited....and I mean everyone...

Fred has been very loyal to Grand Prix Boats and Bruce Borequin. Their team runs the best equipment money can buy and Todd and Fred feel Grand Prix boats are the best.....Their ChampBoat standings show they are right...

Todd says it isn't true, but Diane says it is....Diane says that Todd had an autographed picture of Ron Hill when he was just a little guy....I choose to believe his mom...

The Bowden's are very active in ChampBoat Racing today and they plan to stay. Boat racing is lucky to have "THOSE TYPE" of people...

Thanks, Fred!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default July 1884...

Fred at speed with his 235 Evinrude, 19 foot Daytona Eliminator...From Vapor Trails Magazine...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mr. Bowden...

Fred is sponsoring a Champboat this year. Todd is taking some time off to be with his family and Sean Taurrante is going to drive Fred EQUIPMENT....

Fred is also developing 165 home sites at Parker and I'm asking for your help...

I have decided, after visiting Wiget Lane...in Concord, California and realizing that my father and brother had raced against the great Bud Wiget....I thought it was so cool to know a street was named after him....

Fred Bowden is a mover and shaker in this world....He makes money with ease... He's a gentleman and a business man....He recently sold a very nice boat trailer to my son, we at the "Well Oiled Machine that is Chad Hill Racing" will do our best to keep the Pride and spirit of Bowden Development going.....

But what I've ask Fred to da, and I want you to doe a search and find Bowden Development, if you agree with me, and I WANT YOU TO e-mail Fred....I want you to tell him that his streets in his new development, in Parker should be named after Parker WINNERS....Or Parker leaders...

Streets like: Seebold Lane, Bowden Blvd, Jimbo Court, Ron Hill .... Gummy's Ghost, Marion Beaver Way....It is not what we do here that counts, it is what we leave behind...

I talked to Fred, last Friday, he wanted to know about the trailer...I told him we'd use it is STYLE.....but would he name the streets after BOAT RACERS? He said there would only be ten streets, but to "REMIND" him....

ADD FRED: The guy is amazing....
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-19-2018 at 07:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred

I first knew Fred and the family in the early 80's. My dad (Gene) was running with Fred at parker. I remember Fred put my whole family along with the Collins family in a huge house on the river for the weekend. Man that was great. Anyway dad and Fred lead until something broke in the last hour of the race. Great guy, great family.

Post Thanks / Like

It sure was sad to learn that Todd Bowden was retiring from Champ racing this year. When I first started running mini-boats, teenager Todd was just starting out in Sport C. Our little group of region 12 mini-boat racers bonded into a tight group - it was so much fun.

So I had a twinge of heartbreak when I heard Todd was calling it quits. Like an end of an era. But I guess that's how it goes - the next generation picks up where the "old" ones left off.

Then another of the COBRA bunch decided to call it quits - Jason Campbell - who was one of the rare AZ Mod-C drivers (myself included) from the 1980's. Then I had to face the fact that we aren't kids anymore.

Shaun Torrente is now the driver for Fred Bowdens California Gold team. Shaun is a young firecracker who can man-handle any boat, and has enough energy to run 500 laps if needed. Think Chris Bush. Maybe that's why Fred picked him?

PS: When I first met my husband Brad back in 1988, Robin Thibodaux was his star SST-45 driver for the Parker mini enduro. I was running that race too (Mod C) in my new Mirage, Tom Cat, but motor trouble kept me on the beach most of the day.

I think I remember that Robin was leading overall most of that race, but I think a gearcase(?) problem took him out?

Since we've left Texas for Indiana, we have lost track of Robin. Sure would love to get back in touch with him.

Tim -- if you talk to him, tell him Brad and Val say "Hi!".

BK~
    Last edited by Miss BK; 07-14-2006 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Fred Bowden had/has the COOLEST stuff....

One time at the IOGP races in Los Angeles (Puddingstone) around 1987ish, Fred Bowden brought a stretch limo and used it to get the team between the hotel and the race site.

I don't know how we did it, but a bunch of us "COBRA Kids" managed to get control of the limo and head out for a night on the town. Also riding in the limo was Sergio Calvo and his wife (Fred's neice), Andre Rene, Rick Hoffman's then-girlfriend Kristi Smith, (Rick was in Florida working for Second Effort at that time), and Jimmy Johnson.

The limo driver asked us where we wanted to go --- and Sergio said, "In-N-Out Burger!". So....the driver took us through the drive-through window! LOL

We drove around eating our burgers and went back to the hotel only when the onboard bar was nearly empty. I don't think Fred ever learned about our joy ride....

Oh...those days were so much fun. lol

(And I sure hope Fred doesn't read these boards! LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker..

Quote Originally Posted by Miss BK
    It sure was sad to learn that Todd Bowden was retiring from Champ racing this year. When I first started running mini-boats, teenager Todd was just starting out in Sport C. Our little group of region 12 mini-boat racers bonded into a tight group - it was so much fun.

So I had a twinge of heartbreak when I heard Todd was calling it quits. Like an end of an era. But I guess that's how it goes - the next generation picks up where the "old" ones left off.

Then another of the COBRA bunch decided to call it quits - Jason Campbell - who was one of the rare AZ Mod-C drivers (myself included) from the 1980's. Then I had to face the fact that we aren't kids anymore.

Shaun Torrente is now the driver for Fred Bowdens California Gold team. Shaun is a young firecracker who can man-handle any boat, and has enough energy to run 500 laps if needed. Think Chris Bush. Maybe that's why Fred picked him?

PS: When I first met my husband Brad back in 1988, Robin Thibodaux was his star SST-45 driver for the Parker mini enduro. I was running that race too (Mod C) in my new Mirage, Tom Cat, but motor trouble kept me on the beach most of the day.

I think I remember that Robin was leading overall most of that race, but I think a gearcase(?) problem took him out?

Since we've left Texas for Indiana, we have lost track of Robin. Sure would love to get back in touch with him.

Tim -- if you talk to him, tell him Brad and Val say "Hi!".

BK~
    I was talking to dad and he told me that he and (uncle) Robin were team mates at Parker that year. You were right the midsection broke just above the gearcase. He said they had a huge lead at the time. Those dang Tom Cats were hard to beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred and Gene.

April ,1984 Parker Enduro Fred and Gene finished 3rd overall in Fred's #34X merc powered Eliminator.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Post Thanks / Like

Default From Ron's Posts on SAF...

01-12-2003, 09:07 PM
    Ron Hill
    Freakin' Screamin'

Good point about where these guys came from:

Let me try with Todd Bowden: Fred Bowden was an Electrician in 1978, when he had a Taylor Hull with a Johnson and ran Mod VP. It was at about this time that Fred got layed off. His brother, Larry, was a sherrif in LA County and an executive with an insurance company. They decided to buy a small piece of dirt where a freeway off ramp had just been made. Basically, the idea was to make enough money, for Fred, until he could go back to work as an electrician. Well, they made more than wages and Bowden Development was born. Through the rumor mill, I heard they built more than 300 homes last year.

Todd had been a fan since 1978 when he was five or six. His mother says his first signed (Autographed) picture from a boat driver was signed Ron Hill.....Todd tells me, he doesn't know if that is true...

Anyway, Fred bought Todd a Gran Prix Sport C and Todd drove it flawlessly. At the time, I said, "Man that Gran Prix is a hell of a boat." Not giving Todd really any credit. Todd moved to SST 60 where he also had several Gran Prix hulls but I never saw one of them out of shape when Todd was at the wheel.

Todd co-drove several Parkers when he was 21 ish... The Bowden Development Team ran APR "The Super League" for two or three years. Where he basically dominated. At this same time he broke all kinds of KILO RECORDS in OPC.

He's won the Parker (Shortened) Enduro just about everytime the last 6-8 years.

He has won several Formual One races. He was second in PROP points this year. Through it all, I never heard him bad mouth anyone. I've never seen him get mad at his team. He is a very humble young man. They (Bowden Family) have used Gran Prix boat almost exclusivly.

Mother, Diane, comes to all the races and is always WONDERFUL to everyone. They are a famliy that know how to work. They know how to play. Developing your OWN DESIGN isn't easy.

Fred has helped many a young racer, including my son. Fred's passion for boat racing carries over to Todd.

I should add: Fred didn't always run an old boat in MOD VP He had some of the hottest MOD VP's to ever hit the race course.

Tood has paid his dues. He's come from the smallest OPC Class to the biggest, he has to be consdered one of the best.....

Brother Larry, Todd's uncle, died two seasons ago and it was difficult for the family. But they continue to be a close family and continue to be true friends to boat racing...

Tomtall

Post 1987 New Martinsville

Fred and his write up in the 1987 New Martinsville,WV. regatta program.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 02-19-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Thread Information