Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Midwest Loses Another Racer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Midwest Loses Another Racer

Phil Howard of Jacksonville, Illinois, died this week. Phil ran a dry cleaners in Jacksonville. He was very competitive in the pro-class for many years. Phil was a loyal Quincy Welding customer. I am sure most of you old-timers remember Phil. Please keep his family in your thoughts and prayers.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear that Art. God bless his family and may he rest in peace.

Phil was a very nice, quiet guy and ran a good race. He ran the national circuit, and we were always glad to see him show up. He will be missed by all his racing friends.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Art for spotting this information and posting it.

As Wayne stated, Phil was an intense competitor, my trailer partner in the late 70's/early 80's, and a very good friend. I will try to post some pictures and more information about his racing career and what he overcame during that time in the next few days.

Funeral is to be at Buchanan & Cody Funeral Home 1:00PM in Jacksonville, Illinois Saturday, April 28, 2012. Condolences may be left at www.buchanancody.com

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that link Bill Van. As a Midwesterner you raced with him much more than I did, and I knew you would bring some good info. If you could Bill Van, would you start a thread on Phil on the encylopedia? I've got stuff to add to your stories, but I think it would be better on the encyclopedia where we can all find it.

ADD: I just went to the link Bill Van provided, and it is very easy to give your condolences. I have never seen this done before, but I think it is a very good thing. Phil was a very special guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Region 7 Racer gone

Phil and Jeany are back together again.
    He was a good guy. He will be missed by many.
    See you at the finish line, may you rest in peace.
    Bill & Joyce Kurps

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Miss you Phil Howard

I am so very sad to hear this. It was a joy to have seen Phil at the last Depue reunion. I was thinking about him and hoping to see Phil this summer. We pitted next to him at one of my first big races. I was impressed with his professionalism and preparation. I became a Phil Howard fan for life. Even tried smoking to be like Phil. When I saw him in 2007, the first thing I asked him was if her was still smoking? Will miss you very much. God Bless You Phil Howard.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of Phil's passing. Great competitor, and all around nice guy. Rest in peace, Phil.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Guy

Phil was a true gentleman at the boat races. He was tuff driver . He was easy to get along with the races. I never had a problem with Phil when I was on the Judges stand. Rest in peace Phil.

Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

No one ever saw Phil give an official a bad time, but I saw his wife Jeanie take action once.

For those who did not know Phil, he was a great competitor who was hard to beat even though perhaps he was at a disadvantage to his fellow competitors.

Phil lost most of his right hand in a horrible industrial accident. He drove with a ball and socket arrangement that secured what was left of his hand to the steering wheel, but in a manner that would allow him to be easily and safely released.

After Phil won a very competitive B-Hydro race, the PA announcer made a well intended comment about how Phil had overcome a handicap to become a top level driver.

Jeanie went to the judges stand, took the mike and told the whole world that the only handicapped drivers in that race were the ones who had to compete against her husband.

Those of us who knew Phil and Jeanie would agree!

Rest in peace!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gene:

I had forgotten that story with Jeanie and the announcer, (and even though both Eileen and I were present we can't remember where it took place) but that story perfectly illustrates the kind of folks both of them were. Phil, one of the nicest people you would ever meet and one who kept my spirits high (among many others) while I was in traction for 5 weeks from a Tunnel boat blowover in '74, because they both knew what it was like to be hurt and a long healing process as the result, and Jeanie as one of the most supportive wives you would ever want to meet of Phil in all his work and play as his business partner (he ran the plant and she ran the office).

I had the opportunity to meet some of his relatives I had not met before at the funeral, and they were very interested in some of the boat racing stories we were able to pass on. They were not in his life during his racing career and really did not know much about that part of his life until they looked at some scrapbooks after he died. They realized at that point that Boat Racing was a very large part of his life and who he was, so made sure some very nice pictures and trophies/awards he won were on display at his service.

They are to send me some of them to me shortly along with a list of his racing accomplishments, and I plan on putting a post up at that time with more about him, his racing, and what he overcame to accomplish what he did in it.

Thread Information