Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: increasing compression on a 59ci merc

Post Thanks / Like

Default increasing compression on a 59ci merc

hi guys ,i want to try raising the compression my 55 merc its basically the same as a merc 60hp.
    i have a couple of ideas ,my first is fitting domed pistons.dose anyone know if anyone makes domed pistons for these motors?
    the other idea i have is getting the block barrel bored.if i do this ,this will lower the the ports .if i went this way,i reckon i'd only take a max of .030 off .would this much have a real effect on the port timing?
    also i was thinking of getting the pistons fluted to help raise the exhaust and lower the intake ports?
    my motor is pretty much stock,it had a hone and a re ring and its done about 50 hrs .it only pumps 115 psi .i'm trying to get around 140+ out of it.
    thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crush!

On my 44ci Merc, I had Jim Ruck crush the block. Not real sure how the process works but he was able to bring my block to the minimal cc's spec allowed in stock racing. Give Jim a call.

Post Thanks / Like

Default compression increase

Quote Originally Posted by fs5 View Post
    hi guys ,i want to try raising the compression my 55 merc its basically the same as a merc 60hp.
    i have a couple of ideas ,my first is fitting domed pistons.dose anyone know if anyone makes domed pistons for these motors?
    the other idea i have is getting the block barrel bored.if i do this ,this will lower the the ports .if i went this way,i reckon i'd only take a max of .030 off .would this much have a real effect on the port timing?
    also i was thinking of getting the pistons fluted to help raise the exhaust and lower the intake ports?
    my motor is pretty much stock,it had a hone and a re ring and its done about 50 hrs .it only pumps 115 psi .i'm trying to get around 140+ out of it.
    thanks for any help.
    Have you ever cc'd the stock combustion chambers with pistons at TDC? This info would be needed to see where your base cc's are regardless of how you intend to raise it. Easy to do with light oil and a graduated cc burette or a simple cc graduated syringe

If cc's are known it is an easy calc to get the compression ratio at full stroke as well as to the top of the exhaust port if the dimension is known to the top of the exhaust port from the crank case split surface (centerline of the crank). I assume this is a split crank case merc.

From there it is easy to calc an expected compresion pressure for an engine with good ring seal (and you can check the 115 psi you read) then you can see what cc's are needed to get you close to your desired crank pressures.

Post Thanks / Like

nah mate,i havn't cc'd the combustion chamber .i was kinda hoping someones been there done that before.i assume the 40/50/55/60 59ci motors run the same bock crank and pistons ,from what i have researched .
    there's some good engine builders over there in the states ,but "NO" one dose anything with them over here.
    on another note ,dose anyone know if the 60hp mercs have decompression ports?
    thanks for your replies

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure the 60hp do have the compression relief notch cut in the exhaust. The 2005 I looked at did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lil' Blue Rude View Post
    I'm pretty sure the 60hp do have the compression relief notch cut in the exhaust. The 2005 I looked at did.
    thanks mate

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You can see that decompression port in this photo.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Doing away with that notch doesnt make much diff at all. It helps but u will never c a gain.
    Foreman's Marine

49ci OMC, Alum flat sabine river killer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

you can swap them with the sleeves from a 55 seapro or take those out and weld up the slots and put the sleeves back in
    All boat racers lie, accept me and you, but I am starting to question you.

Post Thanks / Like

A 60 has the good sleeves already in it.
    Foreman's Marine

Thread Information