Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Vintage Hydro.

Vintage Style Boats Rule bherrick's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Vintage Hydro.

Built in July 2004 with Popular Mechanics Plans
    (Saucy Shingle or Glen L's Tiny Titan).

Of course I had one when I was young living on the coast of Maine, but it did not seem as small at the time . The boat is as much fun as it was when I was 90-100 pounds, however at a 190 pounds it can be a little spooky.

I now realize I need a boat in the 10-12 foot range that can support my weight better. My son is now in the Navy, so I can't put him in it. Not to mention he goes about 230 pounds!

Boat has been built watertight without any fiberglass or epoxy coatings. I did not want the extra weight that coatings have. I am old school when it come to boat building. I was raised on the coast of Maine and spent plenty of cold winter days hanging out at boatyards bothering the old-timers with a flurry of questions.

Each and every one of the old-timers while acting like they were less than pleased, would always take the time to answer them once. We always had to pay attention to what they were telling us, you haven't been reamed out until you ask a craftsman how to do something a second time!

I asked one man why he did not use fiberglass over the wood. He simply said it was cheating, if you can't build a boat watertight, don't. Good enough answer for me.

I know it doesn't have a hi-po quicky type lower unit. It does have neutral though. For me this is a better combo.

I like the old motors myself, they are refreshingly low tech.

Lake Lavon, Collin County Texas November 2004.
    Last edited by bherrick; 08-24-2005 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Senior Moment!
    Doing the right thing, when no one else is looking.

-Bob Herrick

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bob,
    I like that old motor on your hydro. That is the same one that I learned to water ski behind. Lake Lavon is where I entered my first boat race. This was in the early 60's and was a NOA pleasure boat class. I think I placed 4th but was disqualified as my boat was 3" too short. I wasn't able to enter a lot of races but I did better later on than in first one.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings Tom

Do you live in the Collin County Area?

-Bob Herrick

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I live near Gilmer in east Texas and spend a lot of time at our place on Caddo Lake. In the 60's several of us from this area would race on most of the Dallas area lakes and many of the Dallas people would enter in our races on Lake O The Pines and Lake Gladewater.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Agree...

It is fun to take things apart and then be able to actually fix them, rather than throw them away....And some of thse old motors will run like a pussy cat when they are well tuned...

Thanks for posting, guys!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This old Wizard Powermatic 12 sat for over 30 years. We dug it out took the carb apart and gave it a good cleaning, replaced the fuel pump with a walbro pump from my sons Jr. Dragster, cleaned the plugs and had it running in 1 hour.

I replaced the plugs and plug wires at a later date and have had to do nothing to it since. It really does run like a pussycat Ron. It is also pretty fast. After all it was built by Mercury for Western Auto.

I sure would like to find a Wizard Super Power 25E (WA25E) for a runabout I am building for the wife. I am building a Blitzen by William Jackson from one of the old Boat Builders Handbooks.

I like to use the Wizards as these were the only outboards sold in the town where I grew up. They were everywhere in the lakes and ocean around home.

Thanks Tom for the info. I like to hear stories about the old days! If you ever get up to Lavon get a hold of me and we will get the toys out!

-Bob Herrick

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do the right thing when no one is looking...

I walk my Golden every night at 9:00. If it isn't 9:00 I show her my watch and explain what time it is...

I always carry two plastic bags.......Maybe, becasue I was once a kid and played in the park daily, but doing the right thing when no one is looking is something to be lived by...Great MOTTO.....Though most people are just no damn good...LOL!!!! You know the whole world could blow up, liquor stores and all!!!

I'll look for Wizards. My Old man found three four cyclinder Wizards in Nebraska about 1976...Clean fresh water, blown gearcases, at an Evinrude dealer....He only bought 30 and 40 cube Mercury motors for C and D stock...But I buy stuff all the time...sometimes I even sell it...

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,
    Thanks for carrying the plastic bags! My son is now in the Navy, so I don't have to worry about him. However I hope to have some grandchildren soon.

The park by the house where we go to walk the Chihuahua has dispensers with plastic bags in them for the dogs. Now if everyone would use them (sigh).

Thanks for keeping your eyes out for a 4 cylinder Wizard’s. I am working on the Blitzen tonight. I have the frames and keel cut and fitted to the mold. She looks like she will be a great boat.

To hot outside to do much else. It’s 97 degrees at 9:00pm. The shop is air conditioned so I can get the boat built.

You Know It’s Summertime In Texas When..."
    You no longer associate bridges (or rivers) with water.
    You learn that a seat belt makes a pretty good branding iron.
    You discover that in July, it takes only 2 fingers to drive your car.
    You discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window.
    You notice the best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

-Bob Herrick

Tomtall

Thumbs up Saucy shingle

Bob - Believe it not that boat was also my first hydro. I believe I was about 12 at the time and I bought the boat from a father and his son after they had it for a few years. The thing was build very well and with my 20H on the back gave many people fits on our lake when I was young. Cool story. Brings back a lot of memories. I still have the planes and the original article and magizine it was in.

Post Thanks / Like

My wish is for some rain to fill the lakes around here so I can go play with the hydro. We haven't had much rain here in the Dallas area for quite a while.

There is just too many trees exposed from the low reservoir levels to run a boat with 1/4 inch plywood hull. They are down over 10 feet at last check.

-Bob Herrick

Thread Information