Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Golden Shores Winter Nationals

Post Thanks / Like

Default Golden Shores Winter Nationals

Name this DU driver!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Default Name These Guys...

Looks like Bobby Herring and Wayne Baldwin (Master Oil)....The blond??? But who is behind them??? (Ernie Dawe!!!)...

I think this was about the time, Bobby wanted to go home with Jimbo's step sister!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I was 8 years old with a 16 year old brother who had his own car, (both of us boat racing fanatics) and lived less than 45 minutes away....How come I didn't know about these Topock races???

Glen Gilbert lived on our street and was building a hydro in his garage at the time. I used to go over there and watch him work. He never told me about these boat races at Golden Shores.

boo hoo...

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Couldn't Do It All!!

I tried, but I couldn't do it all.. Now, we have the net.

The Wednesday before Golden Shores I was on with Regis Philban, that was before Havasu........No maybe, it was the Dodger's Sports Lunch......Evel Knivel spoke just ahead of me...Then John McKay (SC's Football Coach). Last was Tommy Prothrow, UCLA's Coach. Two different TV News people said they liked the way I talked...and put me on the News AHEAD of EVEL...

Larry Laurence and Associates handles the Press Releases....Larry laurie had handled the Salton Sea 500 and was McCullough's PR Firm...Dave Severson worked there. Dave started the magazines, World of Boat Racing, Power Boat and Hot Boat...I think.

In those days, Needles was in the middle of now where (As if it were a big city now).......and Kingman was 63 miles from there!!!

Here is what is left of an old Press Realse...return from Larry Laurie...
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-04-2023 at 12:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Kingman was even further out in the middle of nowhere, so I didn't expect we'd get media for the races there. We didn't even have a radio station back then. In fact, in order to listen to Wolfman Jack we had to sit in our driveway in my mom's VW bug, and tune (barely) to a high powered station all the way out in Tijuana (border blaster).

But we had hydroplane racers living on our street, not even a block away. So how come they never said anthing to us

Post Thanks / Like

Default People Keep Boat Racing Secret...

See, too many people find out about the races...next thing you know you got people all over the pits...boats all over the course...

KOMA in Oklahoma City.....Did you get that station???
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-04-2023 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I was going to write KOMA, but then remembered Wolfman was broadcasting from Mexico. But I do remember KOMA even though I was just a little kid.

Do you remember a racer named Glen Gilbert? My parents hired his daughter to babysit me after school at that time. My brother ended up buying his hydro & old B Merc when Glen retired.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Remember, too much...

I only remember the name Glen Gilbert...

Wolfman Jack, I think, really was out of Modesto like American Grafitti pictured him. Many a night, driving home from boat races, wet crouches, dirty, tired as hell...happy as hell....listening to Wolfman Jack...Jimbo and Me went to Modesto once in my '53 Chevy....trying to keep up with my dad and brother in my Old Man's '56 Ford truck...I had Jimbo's trailer, heavy as hell....I could go about 50 Flat out...

Almost as bad as the time Jimbo, Olin Griswold (The Needles Playboy), Glen Chambers and I went to San Diego....We had my dad's credit card and five cases of DIET Dr. Pepper for the trip. Never drank Diet Dr. Pepper since, that was 1964....With our four big butts in my '59 Chevy and Jimbo's trailer we could only go 50 down hill. 12 hours from Needles, in the 110 degree weather to San Diego....My '59 had a roll 2-80 air conditioner...You know, roll down two windows and do 80...Trouble was we could only go about 40...Six cylinder Chevy...

Were we STUPID in those days or what???

Well, we did have some San Diego chicks meet us in San Diego....So, all was not lost....In fact, I drank more beer that night than I'd drank Dr. Pepper, but I still drink beer!!!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-04-2023 at 12:15 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I know who 100-B is..... his son still races a little!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is 100-B Still Alive???

Last time I saw 100-B was at the 2005 Winter Nationals...thought maybe he'd passed since!!! What's his son's name??? (LOL)...

I would die for a copy of this photo though....We used the original on the Winter Nationals "T" Shirts, 1969....and the picture was OLD then!!!

Thread Information