Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air box

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Not that this ties in directly to reed valves and the droplets, but it is an example of some of the dynamic forces that take place within a two cycle engine. This particular incident occurred on a four cylinder opposed Konig with an external rotary valve. We were at the Pro Nationals and I was wandering the pits greeting friends the day before qualifying. Everyone was rigging up and getting their rigs ready to test. I saw Barry Anderson about to fire his off on the stands and noticed he had foam rubber shoved up inside the stinger on his pipes. Just as I was about the tell him, he fired it off. The motor went RRRUUUPPPPP....pup..pup..pup, then died, Little pieces of foam rubber were falling to the ground in front of the carbs. the foam rubber went from the stinger all the way through the engine, and when a chunk got caught by the rotary valve, the belt broke. I would have thought that the foam rubber would have been blown out the exhaust. But then no one knew either whether their had been some in the manifolds as well. I knew there were crazy things going on inside a motor with fuel, but this was a real eye opener.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nason View Post
    On the air box of 40 merc it states not to exceed 3000 rpms without box , does or will it hurt the engine to run without air box? Would it be able to pull in more air without the air box? Would the jets have to be increased 1 size ?
    Thanks for any help.
    Ive run these motors ever since the day they were built up until now. The first thing I do to a new mercury 3 cylinder 3 carb motor that i get is blow that air box right off the front of the motor with a 12 guage! not really but once it gets taken off, it never gets put back on. And i cant say that I see a performance gain without it, It takes alot more time and money than that.

Thread Information