Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 55.1 mph with 30 hp mercury

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got three of the old 4 cyl Mercs two are running and one is for parts. They may go that 47 or whatever on a race boat. But a Monark 14'42" bottom aluminum flat bottom built in Monticello, AR in the early 1980's wasn't a race boat if I remember right. I've got a buddy with a 30 2 cyl Merc about 2002-2003 guessing and its slower than my 25 Merc. 14'36 Monark. I'm not arguing I just want to know what kind of boats y'all are running these motors on to try and figure out how to set one up myself!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HGipson View Post
    I've got three of the old 4 cyl Mercs two are running and one is for parts. They may go that 47 or whatever on a race boat. But a Monark 14'42" bottom aluminum flat bottom built in Monticello, AR in the early 1980's wasn't a race boat if I remember right. I've got a buddy with a 30 2 cyl Merc about 2002-2003 guessing and its slower than my 25 Merc. 14'36 Monark. I'm not arguing I just want to know what kind of boats y'all are running these motors on to try and figure out how to set one up myself!!!
    the boat on my avator is a homemade jon boat with a modified 40 merc it runs mid 70's on just motor 23 pitch merc cleverprop at 7300 rpm and high 70's to 80 with a 60hp shot of nos.at 8ooo rpm.
    Strictly business

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you send me dementions/specs of the boat ? I'm not racing just hunting but I like to go through the trees fast enough I don't see but a blurr. I'm looking at doing a complete rebuild of my 85/86 50 4 cyl and putting a cleaver on it and building a similar set up. Appreciate the advice man! I got a response about building a 44 XS out of it but is there anything else I can do for more hp than that?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet ride buddy!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

What are the specs of his 30? There are 2 30's that merc made, one was only a little over 400 ccs and then the one like mine which is 640 ccs! I'll paste a link of both styles! http://www.smalloutboards.com/m3010.htm and then the one like mine http://www.redbook.com.au/boat-engin...0hp-elpto-8258

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The motor was the second link you sent. Had it on a 1440 Waco semi v. Lightest boat I've ever late hands on the motor weighed more than the boat! It ran good about 34 mph and got there quick but that was all she had.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The motor was the second link you sent. Had it on a 1440 Waco semi v. Lightest boat I've ever late hands on the motor weighed more than the boat! It ran good about 34 mph and got there quick but that was all she had.
    Any motor can be slow if not setup properly! But if he still has the motor I will help him out with anything he needs to know

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    nobody is doubting your little plywood canoe isnt quick for what it is.
    what people know is that your claim is so far fetched its gone way beyond stupidity.

now if you had said you had hit 40 and was gonna try for a bit more then people might of given you a bit of credit.

But no, oh no not satisfied to add atleast 10 to 15 mph, you then lost all control and claim to be hitting 59mph
    now that just has to be about the biggest load of B*****t on this forum for a long time ,
    Seriously you must be making the race guys laugh their brains out, they go out testing and blue printing engines,
    pay fortunes for mega lightweight carbon fibre boat hulls that are designed,built and aided by computer to be
    extremely fast and as hydro-dynamic as possible,and yet you just walked out the cabin,chopped down a tree and carved out a boat,then bought a secondhand engine
    that just happened to be the fastest 30hp engine in the world and now your going so fast your in your own little orbit !!!.

Whatever your smoking must be strong stuff, i suggest you start selling it and save up for the rev counter !!!!

phill
    PhillJ... If the man gps is telling him hes running this speed, and it is doing it ever time, give or take a mph,,,, then y u think its not correct,, who are u to say that its not,, was u there?,,,, the mans word isnt good enough for u!!!!!!! In the video hes running a strait line pass best i can tell, not in a circle,, which will give him a accuate reading,,,, Ive had garmins megellands, and all them was there with my truck,, even had a state trooper radar me just to see if they where off, they were all on the money,, but i guess u will argue that to. What ever that gps says is what it is, wether u like it r not, they have been known to hurt a mans feeling on speed too.
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Well while what you say would seem correct you must know that there are errors in the gps recorded speed that are dependent on the the type of receiver and the way the signals are processed and a whole host of other effects. The typical gps units for public consumption usually have limited amount of signals that can be precessed in 1 sec. They also work most accuratly in a straight line. The speed is usually calculated by the difference in receipt time of the satellite signals at each distance point, then calculations of speed between the points is calculated. There is error with this approach that results in a +/- in the mph.

Here are some details if you want to wade thru it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_a...tioning_System

Things are not always what they seem. Best is distance and accurate time measurements to calculate avg speed over the distance.
    Theres a 1mph diffrents error give or take, but no more. u are right,, u get a more accurate reading going straight.
    Let it all Hang out

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    I am deadly serious
    there is no way that engine is screaming at anything like 7 grand.
    and no way is that boat doing anything like 50mph in that video.

Now before you start thinking im wrong, take a look at this pic below, its a speed record set in 2009 and still stands today
    this fella sold me the prop that made this record ,its a 13 3/4 x 23 pitch running flat out on a e-tec 90
    on a phantom 16 powerboat.
    Its not a not a toy its serious piece of kit and the speed record is there at a tad under 50mph.
    see for yourself

Attachment 53981

and your trying to tell me that a home made boat with just a 30hp is faster than one of the best racing boats ever made with a 90 -etec on the back !!!!!!!!!

i think your gps is telling you very wrong.
    Now also the tiny tac is mainly for go carts where the revs go very high,these are not nmuch good below about 9 thousand revs and even then can be very poor for acuracy.
    Get a merc rev counter and get someone with a good workshop gun to calibrate it with.
    i would say you revs in that video are around 5300 if your lucky.
    Thats a world speed record,, (50mph) with a e-tec90 on a race boat!!!!! thats nothin to brag about,, in fact thats pitiful slow, if thats all its got i would be embarrass to pull it off the trailer,,, better put something on the back of it that will run,, like a mercury,, e-tec junk. u better not bring that boat over to where tyst67 hangs out with his 30 mercury cause hes going to wax your butt with his homemade boat.
    Let it all Hang out

Thread Information