Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 55.1 mph with 30 hp mercury

phillnjack

i just watched that video about 10 times
    your doing about 55 yes,but kilometers per hour not miles. and as for 7 ,000 rpms you realy are not anywhere near that at all.

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you joking man? Do you want me to prove it cause that's not real hard to do! The GPS does not lie and really I have nothing to lie about man!

phillnjack

I am deadly serious
    there is no way that engine is screaming at anything like 7 grand.
    and no way is that boat doing anything like 50mph in that video.

Now before you start thinking im wrong, take a look at this pic below, its a speed record set in 2009 and still stands today
    this fella sold me the prop that made this record ,its a 13 3/4 x 23 pitch running flat out on a e-tec 90
    on a phantom 16 powerboat.
    Its not a not a toy its serious piece of kit and the speed record is there at a tad under 50mph.
    see for yourself

Name:  speed record 1.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  160.0 KB

and your trying to tell me that a home made boat with just a 30hp is faster than one of the best racing boats ever made with a 90 -etec on the back !!!!!!!!!

i think your gps is telling you very wrong.
    Now also the tiny tac is mainly for go carts where the revs go very high,these are not nmuch good below about 9 thousand revs and even then can be very poor for acuracy.
    Get a merc rev counter and get someone with a good workshop gun to calibrate it with.
    i would say you revs in that video are around 5300 if your lucky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    I am deadly serious
    there is no way that engine is screaming at anything like 7 grand.
    and no way is that boat doing anything like 50mph in that video.

Now before you start thinking im wrong, take a look at this pic below, its a speed record set in 2009 and still stands today
    this fella sold me the prop that made this record ,its a 13 3/4 x 23 pitch running flat out on a e-tec 90
    on a phantom 16 powerboat.
    Its not a not a toy its serious piece of kit and the speed record is there at a tad under 50mph.
    see for yourself

Name:  speed record 1.jpg
Views: 812
Size:  160.0 KB

and your trying to tell me that a home made boat with just a 30hp is faster than one of the best racing boats ever made with a 90 -etec on the back !!!!!!!!!

i think your gps is telling you very wrong.
    Now also the tiny tac is mainly for go carts where the revs go very high,these are not nmuch good below about 9 thousand revs and even then can be very poor for acuracy.
    Get a merc rev counter and get someone with a good workshop gun to calibrate it with.
    i would say you revs in that video are around 5300 if your lucky.
    I'm confused at what you're trying to say here. Are you saying that a stock 3 cylinder won't run over 50 mph?
    Poor Boy Racing

phillnjack

the engine in question is a 2 cylinder 30hp mercury not a 3 cylinder !!!!!!!!11
    the engine is not screaming and the boat is not doing 55mph in the video is what im saying.

i would love to get hold of a usa gps that lots of people are using as they show fantastic speeds compared to european gps.
    its strange how so many boats are so much faster than world records that are trying to be broken by people spending fortunes and years to break.

again what im saying is that the mercury on the back of that boat IN THE VIDEO is NOT screaming at 7,000 rpms
    and NOT doing 55mph.

phill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a video from last year when I was only running 55 mph. This year I beat that speed with a top speed of 59 mph. My GPS is accurate and I also used a radar gun and I have also tried about five other GPS's and they all show me between 58 and 59 mile-per-hour. If that guy with that 90 hp etec can only run 50 mph you should tell him to come and talk to me because I will help them go faster. That's not much of a record to be able to go 50 mp with a 90 lmfao! I didn't realize those etecs worked that ****ty!

Post Thanks / Like

To cross check your gps do a hard to disprove timed run (measure to the part of a second with stop watch) in a measured distance section (like at least several hundred feet) of the river. Run both ways and average results. In the video there are easy to measure bridge supports that can be used as a reference. Note the current speed and direction. When I was actively racing and testing I used the time and distance method for all setup trials, better accuracy and easy to do once distance reference is set up. I had a specific place to test. That's the way they do it a Bonneville and APBA record runs.

V(mph) = [Distance (feet) /Time (secs)] x 0.682

phillnjack

yep i agree, timed distance is the proof on both runs .

so many people dont realise just how quick 50mph is in a boat.
    saying the tec 90 is slow is a silly thing to say when they hold speed records set up correctly and in the natianol speed records week at conniston water.
    in case you dont know or have not heard of conniston ,its the place where all powerboat racers would lovce to go and break records as its the home of powerboat speed records.
    Bluebird broke the water speed record there in 1962 and the record stodd for almost 50 years.
    There are a few usa names on the records ,but not as many as you might think.

there is planty of people who turn up thinking they have 100mph boats that end up with a 70mph ticket to show their friends.
    the e-tec 90 was in ocr and ffe900 class, that means totaly stock engine on stock boat, no modificastions other than propeller.
    Now being as the boat broke the records i would say it was very quick, just looked up and that record has been broken and ratified as it now stands at 51mph.
    yet your 30hp 2 cylinder mercury on tiller on a sheet of plywood is faster by almost 10mph !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    you should go and race it against the gt30 class boats, they can get to 55mph and hold records for that.
    maybe you wont be allowed in the class due to be so much faster ha ha

Post Thanks / Like

So let's see if he does time and distance and reports here actual distance used and time to run numbers. In the end, unless independently verified, it could still probably be a he said we said? So let's move on until these numbers are given.

At the moment viewing videos of my own hydro with a 1972 Merc 25ss going about 61+ mph and the sound of the engine at 7000 rpm I think the video of his rig is less than he states and engine sounds to me in the low 6000 rpm range. Taking his numbers for 18" pitch, 2:1 gear ratio and reported 55.1 speed and using a generous 10% slip the rpm needs to be:

RPM = (55.1 x 1056 x 2 gear ratio)/ (18" pitch x 0.9) = 7183, seems a might high for that engine

Check result here:

http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/propcalc.pl

I realize the formula is for a fully submerged prop but I have used it for my hydro speed comparisons and then back calculate for the slip of my hydro with speed from time and distance then used that slip in the formula for other testing comparisons with same prop. It checked very well with the time and distance runs I used. For other props I would do the same thing, calculate slip from time and distance runs and so forth. However I would always use the time and distance results for true and the formula to get a speed idea for different props.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a bone stock merc 59ci motor on a 15X48 weldbilt that would run 53mph all day long with a 20 pitch merc chopper. I'm not trying to start a pissing match but the speeds you stated that e tech is running for a record is not impressive in my opinion
    Poor Boy Racing

Thread Information