Thread: Building A looper Beast

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chase boat

Quote Originally Posted by R Austin View Post
    As the plan stands today, we will take the beast to Hillsdale Mi Friday September 11 for a day of testing. Will take some videos, good or bad, hopefully all good. What ever the results are, they will be what they will be. If your in the area or have nothing better to do, it may be fun. I will also run the 60 inch looper. I also hope to run the smaller M-14 which now has the 60 inch deflecter from the beast powered boat. It is a great running engine and should be a good ride. With the exception of the beast engine, this is all original equipment, as run on these boats during the early 1960's, 1963 thru 1970 to be exact. I ran the M21 boats and John McMullen of Lapeer Mi ran the M14's. All 4 boats were built new for John and the best I could do was to buy his used equipment. As I have read by others on the site, there will be nothing like the alky racing of the 60,s. Had a good time, met great people and had FUN.

Hey Dick,

It's good to hear you are planning Hillsdale this Friday. My turbo 56 was freshened up, tested this weekend, and ready to provide chase. A GoPro will be attached to the cockpit side to provide on the water video. There are quite a few of people interested to see/hear/smell you run any/all of your spectacular boats: Gotta love the alky and castor! I plan to arrive late morning for an afternoon of fun the water. See you there!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the turbo beast I was asking about! Hope it's operating okay.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wild beasts

Quote Originally Posted by Fastjeff57 View Post
    That's the turbo beast I was asking about! Hope it's operating okay.

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

There will be two beasts on the water....... After replacing the reed set, the turbo is back to its wickedly powerful self.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear it! Love that beast.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

Looper Beast Testing ?

Did the BEAST get tested on the 10th[Friday]? I wanted to be there but couldn't make it.

Bruce

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bruce,

Missed not seeing you & Shirley at PP this past weekend.

John

Post Thanks / Like

Did everything go OK? The suspense is killing me!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Likewise

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Word is tuning issues, and a lack of available testing time due to outside influences at the race course. (ambulance not on site)

Post Thanks / Like

Where to start? My first thought is that I should have just put it in the water here at home. It would have been cheaper to pay some tickets and fines than to drag it to Hillsdale. Sound frustrated, yes it was a frustrating day. Left a day early to be early Saturday and have time to setup, thinking testing was around 10 to 6. Rained all morning, but we put three boats on the ground and made ready only to be told testing would not start until 3 o'clock. 3 came and went and shortly after 4 the ambulance made it.

The boat ran poorly... Made a couple of quick adjustments that worsened the condition. With time running out and wanting to get the other boats in the water, I just pulled it out. Tried running the Quincy looper and it did not want to co-operate, so I just caulked the day up to another bad one.

I had no idea what was going on with the engine except that it felt like it was running out of fuel. When I would open the throttle, even feathering it, it would fall on it face, until I saw the video. It never ran on more than 3 or 4 cylinders and sounded like an air compressor. The blue smoke trailing tells the story. And falling on its face, well I guess that's what an engine that is already choked with fuel would do when you dump a lot more fuel into it.

Why didn't I realize that on the water? I can not really hear the engine and could not see the blue haze. The second time out I richened the carbs a half turn. As can be seen, It got much worse. The last time out I closed carbs back down the half turn and removed the fairing hoping to see fuel flow from the high speed nozzles, not seeing any fuel from the nozzles, I am thinking it is still running out of fuel. When dismantling the rig for the trailer and looking at the engine pipes did I realize the magnitude of the fuel problem. The oil was running out of the pipes. I don't mean dripping, it was running out, we had to put adsorb pads on the ground under the pipes. Should have taken a still pic.

The good side is that the engine was broken in with lots of lub and not to hard. I know that it is going to be very strong just from the feel of want it wanted to do.

So where do I go from here. So happens that I have a Land & Sea dyno from my marine business days and that is in the process of being converted to a dyno stand unit with strain gauge reading of the pump torque.

Not much sense of looking foolish again. Will just go the dyno route and hope for the best which I am sure will be better than that day. That day was so bad that my XM radio on my recently purchased truck free subscription ran out and had to return with out XM. Forgot how bad FM and commercials are.

I will expound at some other time on my thoughts of todays state of boat racing and that of APBA after spending time in Hillsdale.

As I said I would do, good or bad here is the video from the "THE DAY FROM HELL"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4gYb6AJhdI

Thread Information