Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262753 ... LastLast

Thread: Building A looper Beast

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default High on alky loopers

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Because the Looper design works even with the "restrictive" reed valve and because Dick Austin is a genius who enjoys doing things a little differently.

I have nothing against Tim and his project. I would like to see the 2 motors face off on the water.

My money would be on Dick!! Sorry Tim, hope you understand.
    Gene is correct; no offense taken. While the 666 is a dramatic improvement over the Merc reed cage system, it's still a deflector, no match for a looper on gas or alky.

Alan suggests 2 HP/Cu In for the defector on gasoline, and 4 HP/Cu In for the loop on Methanol. Considering my best OMC 49.9 Cu In loopers make 105-108 at the crank, the 666 will be more like 1.5 - 1.75, but throw in alky and you get 20% more.....

A face off will happen next year at Hillsdale for sure. Any way you look at it, we'll have fun making Merc 6 music on the race course. The smiles-per-hour will be off the scale.

On the subject; Just returned from Hillsdale where Dick ran one of his hydros with a Quincy F loop. The course emptied, and the entire pit soaked in the sight, sound, and smell of that big cabover. Sweeeet!

More soon!

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 09-07-2012 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Style

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

I had a "444" at my house for about 3 weeks earlier this year. You certainly do not need to take a back seat to anyone regarding the quality of your craftsmanship.

No, I did not peek inside the motor while it was in my possession.

Your description of the response to Dick running at Hillsdale is typical. Nothing sounds sweeter than a six looper singing an aria! And yes it smells good too!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc 75-H running at Hillsdale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAuPj...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To0uI...eature=related

This is a video of our 75-H during it's first outing. Mercury six cylinder engines on pipes sound so sweet. Added a second video link. The other white boat is our 444 fut hade fuel issues with the tank.
    Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Sounded pretty, but looked like you need a longer straightaway to catch those OMC's

Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc 75-H running at Hillsdale

Hi Gene,
    If you will notice the engine wasn't run at max power. During this heat if I remember correctly we were the only legal boat so there wasn't any need to push it. We did find we need a wider bottom then the Ropp has. 37 inches is a little narrow with all the weight up high. This also was the first outing for the rig and the engine still needed to get some time on it. When we get all the six cylinders together it will be fun.

Alan

Post Thanks / Like

Nice............but he was stroking it a bit. there is so much more there than these videos show. He just had a little mercy on the OMC's. Oh and by the way.........it looks like you need Mr. East to rope it. One pull Gene never misses. Looking good...............and sounding good.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Charley,

The secret to cranking a 6 banger is to slowly feel a piston come to TDC, rewrap the slack in your rope and snap it sharply.

If the timing is right, it will start first pull every time.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 444.2?

Tim,

I had a "444" at my house for about 3 weeks earlier this year. You certainly do not need to take a back seat to anyone regarding the quality of your craftsmanship.

No, I did not peek inside the motor while it was in my possession.

Your description of the response to Dick running at Hillsdale is typical. Nothing sounds sweeter than a six looper singing an aria! And yes it smells good too!
    Hi Gene,

Then you must have had Roger Hinsdale's 444.2 (serial #2). You get a lot of credit for not peaking. Not to worry, the images posted on the 666 thread will answer your questions.

Agreed wholeheartedly with the "song" of Dick's Quincy F loop. Haven't heard one since the mid-70's. The only thing better is more them. Can't wait for more - it was a real treat. Reports from the Hillsdale pits (blown out today) is they all look forward to the special event next year.........

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be great to see/hear a full field of six bangers singing together? Dick has 4 of them ready to run right now!

You are correct, I picked up Roger's engine from Larry McAfee and brought it to Depue.

Post Thanks / Like

Wouldn't it be great to see/hear a full field of six bangers singing together? Dick has 4 of them ready to run right now!

You are correct, I picked up Roger's engine from Larry McAfee and brought it to Depue.
    Just purchased a brand new block for my 6 and will have it freshly ported and use my old block as a donor motor. Then, finally, it will run right. It's a shame you guys are so far away. Would love to participate in any kind of 6 cylinder symphony!

Thread Information