Thread: Building A looper Beast

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay. Didn't want that to be a problem with this jewel.

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

Every part of this project has been a masters professional quality , from the initial drawings to the final engine and hull covers . To take these mental images of a project and turn them into real parts with consistent perfection ,over a extended period of time .Very few of us have the combination of skills required or the stick to it tenacity for such a undertaking . Congratulations on completing a project of incredible complexity ,from a vision to completion . Thanks for sharing this one of a kind undertaking , even the photography was incredible . Glen

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R Austin View Post
    Seems strange to go into my hobby shop, as my wife calls it, and not know what I actually want to work on. Not that I don't have many projects to complete, its just strange not to meet daily goals that I placed on myself to finish the engine.

I do want to thank all that followed this thread and the encouragement that drove me to stay on task and complete this project. Reflecting back, and looking at the thread and the dates of the posts, it seems impossible the amount of work that it required, even to me. However it was a combination of the work, the challenge and the desire to meet the self imposed challenge.

Again, thanks for holding my feet to the fire.

As I look back thru the thread I find unanswered questions which I will try to answer as time allows. I do apologize for the tardiness.

Looks like spring will a long time coming before a launch.

The water pressure at 130 MPH should be 245 PSI. (speed in MPH) X (speed in MPH) X .0145 = 245 PSI Speed squared X .0145 = PSI
    The reason I asked you about the water pressure issue relates back to Jeff Lewis running a 2 liter (122 cu inch) V-6 Merc on a hydro with a similar pick-up. He was in the 130-150 mph range and cracked a block casting from the pressure before he went to a pressure regulator

Post Thanks / Like

I`m curious as to how much water pressure Mr. Lewis was making.

DB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dabull1919 View Post
    I`m curious as to how much water pressure Mr. Lewis was making.

DB
    It would be hard to tell what the water pressure was in the block when it cracked with out a gauge on the block at the time, but obviously a lot. The pressure is determined by the difference between the size of the pick up and the size of the water discharge. The water pressure with a closed tube as in a water speedometer at 130 MPH would be 245 PSI. However the cooling system is not closed, so someone with some fluid dynamics education would have to figure that one out, but to do so he would need to know the size of the inlet and the discharge.

My engine has 8 at.060 and 2 at .125 holes relieving the block and 1 at .250 relieving the heads and the pick up is a single .250 size. I have not had a cooling problem in the past with similar water discharge on other engines. Would be interesting if someone out there could calculate the expected pressure this size system would run at say 100 MPH.

Not being a college grad and not reading up on fluid dynamics it's beyond me, I just try to use common sense and gut feeling, Maybe I could just ask Seeries or what ever her name is on I_Phone

Post Thanks / Like

Thought it might be time to add a little more information on the making ready of the outfit for an early summer launch. No spring here, when it makes up its mind it will just be summer.

Early in the year I sent a box of props to the PROP MAGIC man, Mr Ron Hill, all marked up with instructions and thru some email exchanges, we were able to come to a consensus as what to make.

Threw out the brass 3 blade Record and replaced with 2 brass 3 blade Records. That was good. He made diameter changes to some and checked pitch on all and did a beautiful job of cleaning them up. They even look like they should be fast. I now have a good variety of wheels from 17 to 22 inch pitch and diameters from 9 1/4 to 9 1/2.

All at an unbeatable price. Thank You RON HILL.

Because of a bad feeling I have with the float carbs, I searched Ebay over the winter and acquired 6 HD Tillitson diaphragm carbs. I again cut new throttle levers, removed the old and reversed them in the carbs to the other side. Reformed return springs for three. Removed the original high speed nozzles with the check balls and made clean flow new ones. Eliminated the fuel pumps and set up like the Quincy Z carbs. Those are now complete and ready to exchange as needed.

May be able to pull boats out in a few weeks and make ready. Then find a place to run. Lots of water around here, however I think I would find myself in jail real quick.

Post Thanks / Like

Here the pics for the previous post. I forgot to go advanced for attaching and when you don't go advanced they are just attachments that can only be opened by a logged in member. ??? Unless I am doing something wrong. Anyway, I find that to be counter productive to building interest in the sport. I think most would just move on rather that joining, unless they were serious boat fans. Maybe wrong.

Fixed anyway

Name:  20140901_171136.jpg
Views: 1110
Size:  172.4 KBName:  IMG_4477.JPG
Views: 1091
Size:  295.2 KBName:  20150320_180635.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  106.0 KBName:  20150320_180749.jpg
Views: 1036
Size:  117.7 KBName:  20150201_140122.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  113.2 KBName:  20150201_142802.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  145.2 KBName:  20150320_175051.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  71.1 KBName:  20150206_180117.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  196.3 KBName:  20150329_164403.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  165.0 KBName:  20150418_135444.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  179.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I had been considering the very same HD carbs for a C-6 hotrod project
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Six pack carbs

While we were building the 4 carb 44 Merc I looked for carbs from Tillotson and chose one for a cart application. Well they did not intend to do a run for months so I did the same thing in going to Ebay for a possible solution. I found 5 Tillotson HR7A carbs and bought them. We modified them in that we wanted to use the regular Merc fuel pumps. The carbs worked great and actually we will run the engine this coming weekend at our first NBRA race of the season. The link below is the start of the carb discussion for the engine.

Great job on the looper. Boat testing will be fun that is for sure.
    Alan

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...rk-40-H/page28

Post Thanks / Like

I know that questions are being asked about the Beast being in the water yet. Answer, not yet. Been working 6 days a week and the weather has been lousy on weekends so far. Hope to get out tomorrow and start to make ready. With out any other options for a place to test, it will probably be at the AOMCI meet in Constantine Mi.
    I was surfing YouTube the other day and came across a video of the boat that the beast is on running with the 60 inch deflector Merc Quincy that ran in 65 & 66. To much boat for the motor but that deflector still is good sounding motor. I am building a new tower housing for the engine in this video and will put on the McDonald which will make a really nice preforming package.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcCCgSkpUEw

Thread Information