Thread: Building A looper Beast

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This engine should be a very strong performer without a doubt..

But what I'm really hoping to read about soon is a dyno run with figures shown. At 100 cubes, it could possibly be at least 300 or 400hp on methanol. What horsepower did a quincy looper this size typically produce?

Post Thanks / Like

First and foremost, there never was a Quincy Looper this size to use as a comparison.

To the best of my knowledge there was never a Quincy Looper built larger than 66 c.i. and I don't know if any of those engines were ever run on a dyno.

There were 3-90 c.i. engines built for Mercury and boat tested (not on a race boat) in Quincy.

Whether or not Mercury dyno-tested these P/H's, I don't know. Perhaps Paul Christner could answer this better than I.

The 40 & 44 c.i. models were dyno-busters, however 3+ hp/c.i. is well documented on smaller engines.

I believe it is reasonable to expect "The Beast" to be in the 300+ HP range. I could care less if this engine pulled 400 HP or just 10 HP!

Richard, Rich, Dick, (what ever you wish to call him), Mr. Austin is in a class by himself.

Who among us could begin to accomplish such an amazing feat?

By the way, did you notice that smile of satisfaction when his "Baby" came to life?

That's something that comes only from hard work and dedication!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    First and foremost, there never was a Quincy Looper this size to use as a comparison.

To the best of my knowledge there was never a Quincy Looper built larger than 66 c.i. and I don't know if any of those engines were ever run on a dyno.

There were 3-90 c.i. engines built for Mercury and boat tested (not on a race boat) in Quincy.

Whether or not Mercury dyno-tested these P/H's, I don't know. Perhaps Paul Christner could answer this better than I.

The 40 & 44 c.i. models were dyno-busters, however 3+ hp/c.i. is well documented on smaller engines.

I believe it is reasonable to expect "The Beast" to be in the 300+ HP range. I could care less if this engine pulled 400 HP or just 10 HP!

Richard, Rich, Dick, (what ever you wish to call him), Mr. Austin is in a class by himself.

Who among us could begin to accomplish such an amazing feat?

By the way, did you notice that smile of satisfaction when his "Baby" came to life?

That's something that comes only from hard work and dedication!
    Its a feeling I could only imagine! This is one of the best things I ever seen on any kind of forum be it cars, motorcycles, or boats! He built a real 100cid racing powerplant from scratch with a most unique approach in design. I really wish I could do something like this. Its amazing how smooth and balanced it sounds.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there any plans of putting this on a dyno?

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering , what is the total weight fully assembled ?

Post Thanks / Like

Why are so many people anxious to have Dick blow up this engine by running it on a dyno?

The man put 2 years of blood sweat and tears into building this engine. It's not like he can go to the parts bin and build a new one over the weekend.

Dynos do 2 things, measure HP and destroy engines when they malfunction.

Besides, we already know how much HP "The Beast" will develop.

A LOT!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gene East View Post
    Why are so many people anxious to have Dick blow up this engine by running it on a dyno?

The man put 2 years of blood sweat and tears into building this engine. It's not like he can go to the parts bin and build a new one over the weekend.

Dynos do 2 things, measure HP and destroy engines when they malfunction.

Besides, we already know how much HP "The Beast" will develop.

A LOT!

Thanks Gene, that was going to be my answer. Dynos destroy engines. Besides I would rather spend that engine time on the water.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

O.K.....no dyno guys. I don't blame you at all. If I put that kind of work in it, I would rather destruction happen where I could at least see how fast its going if it is to happen, on the boat instead of in the shop. Thinking about it, racing engines are strictly about the speed. The horsepower is just what ever it is. Most record engines were made by testing on the lake anyway. The guys that rely on dyno usually have less success with outboards because boats encounter many variations in running conditions unlike land racers of sorts. But never the less, running at WOT on a race hull is just as dangerous to an engine if not more so.

Post Thanks / Like

I will still post the last of the assembly and fit up of the engine and the challenges that the seemingly easy carbs posed. Sometimes you just get lucky. I would have to go back and see what the date was that I was working on the carb modifications because it is a good thing I stopped and moved on to something else.

As you will see in the pictures I was blessed with luck twice, well more than that with this project, as I finished the tower housing swivel bracket work and the carb work.

As seen in the previous pictures posted I had set the power head on the tower housing with carbs unfinished. Though the tower had been completed, it was sent in stone only to be changed with major rework. With the power head on I placed the bowl on a carb and placed in the lower position. The bowl cleared the swivel bracket by 1/8th of an inch. However when the engine was turned to its max left, the main jet adjuster would hit the clamp bracket. Had I finished with the main adjuster in that proposed position it would not have worked.

The remedy was to put it in the front and to insert a .074 fixed jet in the original position. Knowing that the .074 jet would be to small and allow final adjustment with the needle valve. Great, that made the carb to bracket clearance work.

Now after carbs are modified and installing on the engine I find that with the adjuster in the front it interferes with the bolt boss for the original air horn and the indent in the bottom of the bowl that cleared the soft plug boss over the idle drilling, had now moved and the bowl touched that boss. So removal of the bolt boss for the air horn, which I was not going to use anyway, and taking .020 off the soft plug boss made things come together.

Name:  20140816_172749.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  145.3 KBName:  20140824_111416.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  151.8 KBName:  20140817_131750.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  169.3 KBName:  20140822_142845.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  129.3 KBName:  20140822_142922.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  99.1 KBName:  20140824_170934.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  224.4 KBName:  20140824_170917.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  218.7 KBName:  20140828_202951.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  122.7 KBName:  20140828_202914.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  136.8 KBName:  20140829_093813.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  123.3 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any projections on when you will run it and where I would like to see it run. Above all else BE SAFE! (wow lots of torque maybe building power steering for a encore ?) ENJOY.

Thread Information