Post Thanks / Like

efi engine running on your dyno is what we were all waiting for

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We sure are!

Jeff
    "We live at the bottom of an ocean of air." - General Marvage Slatington

Post Thanks / Like

What a very nice project and beautiful work.
    What clearance do you have on the coated piston fit and crank end play, unless it is secret ;-)?
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

When the posts were lost I think that I had been running the engine on the dyno. I had posted a you tube video which I will re-post now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZrY8KaHTWs

I had run the engine prior to this run and had stripped the teeth out of both belts. I replaced both belts and again wiped both belts clean at the end of this run.

Name:  20160623_172154.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  139.9 KBName:  20160623_172309.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  120.2 KB

I did however get enough run time to get it to a point that I thought I could get a ride from it. What I had been chasing I believed to be a fuel starvation problem. After redoing the carb floats to allow better fuel flow into the high speed needle and improving float drop to pull the needle valve from the seat farther had helped some. I removed the fuel pumps and installed an electric pump and pressure regulator. That work did make enough improvement that it was obvious that the engine was dropping a cylinder. Next came the removal of the dual coils replaced by the standard Merc coils. Then with a new set of plugs, leaving the one plug in each cylinder as a non functional plug, the engine sounded much stronger. It still wanted to die as if running out of fuel.

I then re-assembled the unit and packed and made ready for the trip to DePue for the Racers Reunion and the hopes of being able to get some run time.

The dyno has been redone with chain and is ready for the next dyno test series.

Name:  20170117_170628.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  140.3 KBName:  20170117_170722.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  144.0 KB

As it would be, I did not even get the engine to start in the water. I had done a very ignorant thing. Alcohol works on aluminum pretty aggressively, and that aluminum that has had the anodizing worn off, even more so. Thinking I would be pro-active and protect the carbs I pumped the fuel system full of ATF. At the site I had pull the high speed needles and drained and flushed the bowls. However, alcohol and ATF do not mix. That left fluid in the passages and remaining in the bowls would not let the engine make enough power to run with a prop in the water. It was unbelievable what the crap looked like in the carbs when cleaned after returning home.

I don't like to be a whiner, but I have to say that it was disappointing that after spending about a $1000.00 to take equipment to DePue and spend another $125.00 for day membership and entry fee, I was allowed 15 minutes of course time and the end of the day, Friday, as the sky went dark and the wind and rain moved in. I understand all the issues of safety and liabilities. I do find the this country has become a nation controlled by lawyers and insurance companies and of course all the levels of government. The things we did as kids that made me have an interest in boating and engines are the things that people fear and complain about. We have become a society that have been taught to live in fear of everything.

As a result I have taken a step back and asked myself why bother. Does not seem to be any place to run any more. I do find it interesting that at the events that I have gone to it is the spectators that what to look at the equipment and want to know when they will run. A lot of the spectators at DePue refer the them as the boats from an era that they remember and enjoyed.

So much for all that. Just getting old I guess.

The fuel injection has been installed and I will continue to post until I have desired results.
    Likes Joyrider, paavojaelvis, Mark75H liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

..." I do find the this country has become a nation controlled by lawyers and insurance companies and of course all the levels of government. The things we did as kids that made me have an interest in boating and engines are the things that people fear and complain about. We have become a society that have been taught to live in fear of everything."

Too true, brother! Easier for some in government to manipulate us that way.

Maximum compliments on your stick-to-it-ness on this fabulous project. I hope you don't give up, though I can't blame you at this point.

Wish I could be of assistance to you--as most of us on this site do.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

AH the joys of running alcohol. Back in the 80`s we ran it in our V-6 OMC and it made a lot of power over gasoline. Cleanout was a bitch tho. We sucked out all the alcohol then replace it with Gasoline/oil mix and to the ramp we went. Hell on plugs tho.

DB
    Likes Freddie Webb liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My late (and damn good buddy) ran a 400 inch SB Chevy on methanol, using a huge Holley 4 barrel. I was stunned by the size of the jets that thing used--must have been a 1/4 inch diameter hole!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

The magic formula given to me many years ago is 1.6 X what ever size gasoline jet the engine runs on. This has worked for me a long time.

DB
    Likes Freddie Webb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In the 1990's I worked for Four Winns boats and at the time we were building the Fling with the OMC Turbo Jet unit I was challenged by one of the top OMC Corp exec's to build a horizontal crank engine to replace the outboard power head sitting on top of the 90 degree outdrived geared case. I was sent a full dressed 115 Eagle power head. Upon completion the unit on the first ran held a solid 50 MPH compared to the 35 MPH production unit with out the gear noise. However I did have a fuel problem at idle due to long cold intake runners. I made contact with an outfit in Wisconsin that was making a fuel injection system as a retro kit for the 3 cylinder Artic Cat snowmobile. They had moved on to other projects and had injection system parts that I purchased with the intention of installing to cure the problem of idle fuel control. Last summer I was digging thru those parts and found 2 three cylinder throttle body assemblies. First order of business was to test mount to check for fit possibilities.

Attachment 62513

They are a 42mm bore and hold a conventional fuel injector.

Attachment 62514

I removed the metric side plate bolts and re-drilled with reamed counter bores for die shoulder bolts with the bodies held in a fixture for machining the mounting pad to provide cylinder to cylinder alignment and alignment for the full length throttle shaft.

Attachment 62515

Name:  20160813_191233.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  147.3 KB

Up on completion of the time consuming machining of the one piece throttle shaft a torsion spring was installed in a pocket on the top throttle body for throttle closer action. All operates smoothly and has plenty of closer force.

Name:  20160816_181652.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  229.9 KB

Name:  20160816_181736.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  252.3 KB

Name:  20160816_181724.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  261.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Tried doing a post couple nights ago that met with issues, so I will try again.

When I was Four Winns is was ask By OMC to convert an Eagle power head into a horizontal crank engine and redo a Turbojet unit. All went well, had excellent top end performance but loaded up at idle. At the time OMC had not yet released the V-4 engine with the Ficht injection. Wanting to fuel inject the engine because of the long cold intake runners causing idle loading up problems.
    I purchased surplus inventory of fuel injection parts that a company in Wisconsin had been producing for the Artic Cat 3 cylinder engines. Like many projects, it was but on the back burner and not used.
    Last summer with the problems that I was experiencing, I went looking to see what I could find of the parts purchased back in the mid 1990's. As luck would have it, I found two sets of 42mm throttle body assemblies.
    With that find, I proceeded to test fit the units on the engine to confirm the distance required for the center to center would work. Looking good I proceeded to make a positive side mounting strap locating with reamed counter bored holes with shoulder bolts to insure alignment for a functioning one piece throttle shaft. Then proceeded to make the shaft and assemble the 6 throttle body assembly.
    I did have to purchase the require rubber flange adapters, which matched up to the bolt pattern on the reed cover.

Name:  20160713_185847.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  185.7 KBName:  20160713_185905.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  139.3 KBName:  20160720_151803.jpg
Views: 706
Size:  124.0 KBName:  20160813_191057.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  154.6 KBName:  20160813_191130.jpg
Views: 723
Size:  156.8 KBName:  20160813_191233.jpg
Views: 711