Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a PAD

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice on a PAD

I talked to Glenn Hopkins and his advice for me either to try extending my trim tabs across the length of the transom and make them adjustable or welding a pad to the bottom of the boat. He said make it 5 ft in length and about 14 inches in width. I'm curious to know could I make it 10.5 inches in width? or even 12 inches possibly?
    10.5 would be better for the way the hull comes to a V at the stern and the chimes are so dang close together.
    I would think the narrower the pad the faster it would go but harder to control correct?
    would my 50 tohatsu have a hard time getting the boat onto a 10.5 inch pad??

What advice can yall give me? I hadn't talked to Glenn in a couple of days and been brain storming this.

Thanks
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Chris , the smaller the pad the more horse powe it takes to get it up and keep it there

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad news racing View Post
    Chris , the smaller the pad the more horse powe it takes to get it up and keep it there
    I agree with the horse power to a certain degree on keeping it on the pad. my boat has a 14" pad with a 40 hp. With a regular prop without trim you would have to ride it through the bouncing until it was on the pad, added a hydraulic jack plate came up on engine 2.5 inches
    rides good from 35 mph to 44 mph any slower it wants to fall off pad. With chopper prop at 40 mph it want to fall off pad at 52 its on pad and holding.I think I could come up more on the motor but need to get used of driving this boat first.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by bad news racing View Post

what is your advice then go with 14 inches?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Transom View Photo...

Bottom Line: We have 15 HP motors with 36-39" pads running 50 MPH. Old Hydrostreams ran a 4 inch pad with 150 HP. But with a 40 HP, 30 inch pad would be better than a 14" pad. 10 inch is a "NO NO"...

Boats have four stages: 1. Float 2. Plow 3. Plane 4. Fly For speed, you want to fly!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Bottom Line: We have 15 HP motors with 36-39" pads running 50 MPH. Old Hydrostreams ran a 4 inch pad with 150 HP. But with a 40 HP, 30 inch pad would be better than a 14" pad. 10 inch is a "NO NO"...

Boats have four stages: 1. Float 2. Plow 3. Plane 4. Fly For speed, you want to fly!

Thanks Ron, it's better to ask all the questions now before i get down the road and have a problem. Just gonna have to do more figuring this weekend and may just have to make a 14 inch work or even a spec more

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

Haven't done the pad yet but I have all my material and found a guy couple days ago with a brake to bend my sheet into a channel and well I was talking to someone last night I think his boat is 15 ft in length and he said his pad is about 12 ft in length under the boat.
    Do you think i'm gonna have a problem with this pad being just 5ft in length or should it be longer? I hope not because I have everything setup and ready to do it but am having some second thoughts here on the length of the pad going forward. My pad is currently 5 ft in length.

Just like a little more advice would this length be ok?

Thanks
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chris3298 View Post
    I'm curious to know could I make it 10.5 inches in width? or even 12 inches possibly? I would think the narrower the pad the faster it would go but harder to control correct? would my 50 tohatsu have a hard time getting the boat onto a 10.5 inch pad?
    The size of the pad should be designed so that it's sufficient to provide greater portion of dynamic lift of the hull. A wider pad is more efficient, but also harder ride. Hulls with high deadrise vee will benefit more from having a pad, low deadrise hulls will not see the same benefits. For any hull/setup, pad dimensions can be optimized for the hull. Optimum width and length are sized based on hull weight, power and dynamic balance.

Here is Article on Vee-pad design .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimboat View Post
    The size of the pad should be sufficient to provide greater portion of dynamic lift of the hull. A wider pad is more efficient, but also harder ride. Optimum width and length are sized based on hull weight, power and dynamic balance.

Article on Vee-pad design
    Thanks for the article

Post Thanks / Like

no problem, chris. give me a call or PM me, if you want to discuss.

/jim

Thread Information