Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which side iz tha rite side????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Which side iz tha rite side????

Toss'in around build'in a 3 cyl (1/2 a 2.4) to play in a local club wit....I wuz wnuder'in which(if any) wuz tha best side to use????...I know sum ov ya'll dun been ther dun that, and could save me sum exsperiment'in, and possibly sum parts....I have my own ideers, but juss wuz curious if tha runners ov this ole combo had a prefrence...Thankz in advance!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Think...

Either side is OK, I think...Usually, people built the three banger out of a "BUSTED" V-6....So, they'd use the side that was good...

Personally, I was thinking half a 2.5 steel sleeve motor would be awesome....

Mike Wienandt, kind of got the SST 70 class going...and works for Mercury. He might be able to add something......His brother Trident lurks here, too...Maybe Jerry will post something....

Jerry Wienandt
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Half Six

Lurk? Pretty hard for me to lurk...

Reverse rotation, as in running on an SSM 6 unit on a tunnel, the preferred bank is the Port side, 2, 4, 6. Whether that changes to the other side with standard rotation, I have no idea...

Actually, I think Mertons were the original guys to race a half six in SST70. With great success I might add.

My brother Mike ran a 1/2 2.4 in SST 70 and ran a really strong 1/2 2.5 in Formula 100.

I ran a 2.4 a few times, and I was amazed at how nicely it ran. No shake like I expected.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just Thinking...

I thought "LURK" was a nice word......I mean elephants hide in strawberry patches don't they...

Would and EFI work??????? I guess anything could work, but would it be workable....How about a Laser EFI?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

port bank due to stb exhaust makes the most power

U.K. J 250 - Euro JT250 Techteam's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

IMHO you have to use port 2 4 6 as the bottom bearing gets its lubrication from number 6 and pumps the oil from there to the top bearing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankz guyz, I figger'd they wuz a preferred bank...I never stopp'd ta thank about tha iol'in tha bottom and top bear'inz.....I kan't see any reason it wouldn't work juss az well turn'in in std rotation, do ya'll??

Jerry Wienandt
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Elephants

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I thought "LURK" was a nice word......I mean elephants hide in strawberry patches don't they...

Would and EFI work??????? I guess anything could work, but would it be workable....How about a Laser EFI?
    Its a well known fact that elephants can hide in strawberry patches, but only when wearing red shoes.

Jerry Wienandt
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Oiling

Quote Originally Posted by Techteam View Post
    IMHO you have to use port 2 4 6 as the bottom bearing gets its lubrication from number 6 and pumps the oil from there to the top bearing.
    Good point about the oiler hose. #6 has a seal ring on each side on the crank, but apparently enough oil leaks by to oil the bottom bearing and to be pumped via a check valve to the top bearing. Probably some help from Sir Issac, too, to get it down there.

Biggest reason we ran Port side is that bank makes more power in reverse rotation.

Don't know, spinning normal rotation...

Obviously, with running #6, oiling wasn't ever an issue.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

does anyone have a picture of a complete motor built like this. i would like to see one. it sounds very interresting.

Thread Information