Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: v4 omc cleaver on a 3cyl omc?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default v4 omc cleaver on a 3cyl omc?

can a v4 cleaver be made to work on the omc 3 cylinder small gear case "nitro gear case". i know the the prop would have to be cut down but the the shaft size is a little different too. is there a sleeve that can be put on the 3 cyl gear case to take up the slack. just curious as to if this is possible, is it done often, what mods would need to be done to the prop?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't use a thrust washer as the shaft is not long enough. So take a piece of a 1"brass drain tube with the flange - this will fit inside front side of prop and act as a bushing to allow prop to work on nitro case

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Cut The Prop Shorter

What I do, is cut the prop shorter, so you can run the regular fishing prop thrust washer.

This is a 13 X 23 with 13 splines...V-4 or Nitro Gearcase, works fine...I do not have a thrust washer on, but there is room for it..

What I'm saying: The above idea of a brass sleeve will work, but if you can find someone with an old lathe, maching the front of the prop off a half inch....
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ok thanks, i knew y'all would have a simple solution for me. what exactly does the thrust washer do? im running 12.5x23 cleaver without the thrust washer is that going to harm anything? whats the biggest diameter you can use on a 3 banger without damage to anything?

Thread Information