Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! I need to identify this boat mold

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Help! I need to identify this boat mold

I was directed to this forum from Scream and Fly. I was told there were lots of older boat racers on here that may be able to help me out. I have a mystery 15/16 ft tunnel hull boat mold that i bought out of Jacksonville last week from a man named Lonnie Gilmore. From what he was told, it was one of Danny Critchfield's, but at this point it is really a toss up. Here is the link to the thread on Scream and Fly, like i said I was told you guys really knew your stuff about older race boats and i really would like to find out the information on this hull. I will really appreciate any help or information, thanks.
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...nnel-Hull-Mold

Post Thanks / Like

To me it looks very much like a updated design of the boats built by Allan Stinson.
    Looks like the front air release openings have been enclosed. Which is what the drivers would do.
    The Stinson was running very good in 1976 -1977 in the Sport J class but was no longer produced. Maybe Danny got the molds or made some from another boat and made changes.
    Here are two photos I have. In the first one it's the first boat (blue & white).

Mark N

Post Thanks / Like

Another Stinson.
    Mark N

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Correction, the boat is 17ft, not 16

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alan Stinson

I never met Alan Stinson til the trophy presentation at the Parker 9, where he and the late Jerry Walin had won and Dewey Berghauer and I had finished second.

The next time I saaw Alan was at Galveston and he was driving an Allison, single engine, with a moveable wing, which I thought was quite cool.

My dad and I talked things over when we got home and decided Alan Stinson built Allison Boats...Al for Alan ansd Ison for Stinson...About ten years laer I found out my theory was wrong......

I'm pretty sure, MN1 is correct that this is a Stinson tunnel. Go to Facebook, and become a friend of Benny Robertson, and ask him. He'd know.

Doesn't boat number 8 say Alan Stinson Driver??? 201 is Benny in Bobby Thompson's SJ boat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I never met Alan Stinson til the trophy presentation at the Parker 9, where he and the late Jerry Walin had won and Dewey Berghauer and I had finished second.

The next time I saaw Alan was at Galveston and he was driving an Allison, single engine, with a moveable wing, which I thought was quite cool.

My dad and I talked things over when we got home and decided Alan Stinson built Allison Boats...Al for Alan ansd Ison for Stinson...About ten years laer I found out my theory was wrong......

I'm pretty sure, MN1 is correct that this is a Stinson tunnel. Go to Facebook, and become a friend of Benny Robertson, and ask him. He'd know.

Doesn't boat number 8 say Alan Stinson Driver??? 201 is Benny in Bobby Thompson's SJ boat.
    What is Benny Robertson's location? Im trying to find him on facebook and it's proving to be difficult. I could use some help haha

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ben Robertson, Jr....

South Carolina....

Befriend me, Ron Hill, on Facebook, and I'll find Benny for you!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 06-10-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Benny lives in Jacksonboro, SC.
    The last photo was taken in 1975 but I don't remember where. It does look like it says Allan Stinson but I wasn't sure. He's just going to darn fast to read it!

Also, Fineline boats comes to mind. They were built in FL. Maybe some of the older FL guys might recognize the name and the builder. I don't think I ever saw one but they advertised in the Propeller magazine.
    Mark N

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this out, this was posted by Ron Titus, the son of Jeff Titus...

Talked to Jeff Titus about this....here's the whole story. The molds were made by Ray Parker in Ft Lauderdale around 1975 from a Stinson like the picture posted earlier. Ray made some small changes to it to make SJ hulls. The molds were very well made and are probably still pretty straight. He does not believe that Danny ever owned them. He never made a 17' tunnel. Jeff's SE pictured above had the cowling and cockpit made from these molds.
    Jeff's SE was sold to Ion Bolton in 1977. Ion sold it to Danny in 1979 or 1980. They both blew it over. Danny's wreck damaged the hull. Rather than repairing it, he finished the SE hull he was building which is the red boat pictured above on the trailer. The deck and cowlings were made from Burgess molds. Danny sold Jeff's SE to someone in GA who made some changes to it to run SG.
    The boat that Danny was killed in was his Mod VP design. It was a 20' Allison V-bottom to which he added sponsons. He had just rigged it for a customer to use as a drag boat and was sorting it out on Jullington Creek.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have any info about Ray Parker in Ft Lauderdale?

Thread Information