Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help! I need to identify this boat mold

Post Thanks / Like

Default Where Was This Posted?

Quote Originally Posted by T hess66 View Post
    Check this out, this was posted by Ron Titus, the son of Jeff Titus...

Talked to Jeff Titus about this....here's the whole story. The molds were made by Ray Parker in Ft Lauderdale around 1975 from a Stinson like the picture posted earlier. Ray made some small changes to it to make SJ hulls. The molds were very well made and are probably still pretty straight. He does not believe that Danny ever owned them. He never made a 17' tunnel. Jeff's SE pictured above had the cowling and cockpit made from these molds.
    Jeff's SE was sold to Ion Bolton in 1977. Ion sold it to Danny in 1979 or 1980. They both blew it over. Danny's wreck damaged the hull. Rather than repairing it, he finished the SE hull he was building which is the red boat pictured above on the trailer. The deck and cowlings were made from Burgess molds. Danny sold Jeff's SE to someone in GA who made some changes to it to run SG.
    The boat that Danny was killed in was his Mod VP design. It was a 20' Allison V-bottom to which he added sponsons. He had just rigged it for a customer to use as a drag boat and was sorting it out on Jullington Creek.
    Interesting stuff. Dany Critchfield the designer of he Critchfield V-Bottoms was killed in an Allison modified to an MOD P bottom???

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T hess66 View Post
    Does anyone have any info about Ray Parker in Ft Lauderdale?
    I can fill in the story on Ray. I grew up a few houses away from the Titus's . . . thats how I ended up a boat racer. Ray is practially a family member in the Titus family.

I remember Ray running the SJ boats in the mid to late seventies. He owned a boat building company called Finish Line, building center consoles that I think (long time ago!) were based on the old 25' North American. This was when he first got out of high school. After going over a final time in the J boat, he had an EP Allison for a short while, played around with an Alky hydro, then hung it up for good.

He also got out of the boat business about that time (1980-ish?) and started a successful company building exclusive homes in some waterfront communities in SE Florida. He is still in Ft. Lauderdale.

I don't think Danny had those molds. Like Ron said, the boat that his dad dominated SE with for years had Stinson cowlings from Ray's molds, and had sort of a shorter Stinson look to it, but was a wood boat Jeff Titus built for himself. I think the fact that Danny owned that boat later is the source of that confusion.

** Trivia ** If you enjoy watching your TV, check out his link about Ray Parker's father.
    http://www.invent.org/hall_of_fame/117.html

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Interesting stuff.** Dany Critchfield the designer of he Critchfield V-Bottoms was killed in an Allison modified to an MOD P bottom???
    Sort of . . . I believe the boat Danny was killed in was a Critchfield, but had started out as an Allison V-Bottom* Mod-VP boat he modified into a sort of unique sponson and pod bottom. He was shaking down a new boat, and I believe stuffed it hard. His widow later married Roark Summerford of STV.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! yeah the story makes sense now, thanks for all the help you guys

Thread Information