Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Frances C. Hauenstein's Obituary

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frances C. Hauenstein's Obituary

FRANCES C. HAUENSTEIN
    February 13, 1918 – June 13, 2012

Frances Coffee Hauenstein was born to Ira and Ethel Coffee in Clayton, New Mexico, on February 13, 1918. Her family moved to Ivanhoe, California, when she was 8 years of age. She attended schools in Visalia and worked hard to help support herself and her family. She graduated from Fresno State with a teaching degree and a minor in physical education. She was an excellent athlete and eventually met and married Fred W. Hauenstein, who was captain of the University of Missouri track team.

Fred and Frances married in 1941 and enjoyed 64 years together before Fred’s death in 2006. The two of them began married life working at Lockheed Aircraft in Southern California during World War II. They returned to the San Joaquin Valley where Frances raised their sons Freddie, Jimmie, and Donnie while Fred drove trucks. In 1953 the couple opened a truck stop in Kingsburg where Frances fueled trucks while her husband continued driving to augment their finances. In 1954 they built a larger fuel station in Kingsburg and then opened a café on the site. Fred’s Truck Fuels and Café was a successful Kingsburg landmark on Highway 99 for four decades. Frances managed the café and many to this day remember the great chiliburgers she served.

As Fred and Frances succeeded, their willingness to help others became well-known. They gave freely of their resources, friendship, support and advice to stranded travelers, truckers and local residents alike. Her love of Kingsburg showed through her service as president of the Chamber of Commerce, the Senior Center and the Kingsburg Hospital Auxiliary. She was an active member of the Kingsburg Gun Club, the Northern California Outboard Association, the Kingsburg Evangelical Covenant Church, and tutored young readers after school.

Frances was well known in American Power Boat Association racing circles as a strong advocate for her husband and sons (and grandsons) as well as being the best and most prolific sandwich maker in the pits. Many a racer or mechanic would have gone hungry without her “tailgate deli.”

Frances was preceded in death by her husband Frederick W. Hauenstein, sons James F. and Donald E. Hauenstein, brother Findley Coffee, sister Lola Christie and one granddaughter, Melcena Hauenstein.

She is survived by her son Frederick M. (Linda) Hauenstein, Oshkosh, WI; her daughter-in-law Kathy Hauenstein, Santa Inez, CA; grandchildren Dan (Kristy) Hauenstein, San Carlos, CA; Mike (Kate) Hauenstein, Cedar Park, TX; Hilary (Brad) Carpenter, Gilbert, AZ; Raina Hauenstein, Oronogo, MO; Ira (Amanda) Hauenstein, Anchorage, AK; and Jack Hauenstein, Albemarle, NC. She is further survived by ten great-grandchildren, a sister Donna Symons, and her special friend and caregiver, Lupe Mendez.

A memorial service will be held on Friday, June 29th at 10:30 AM at the Kingsburg Evangelical Covenant Church, 1490 Lincoln St, Kingsburg, CA. The family requests that in lieu of flowers, donations be made to a charity of the donor’s choic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fred and Linda

I'm glad I had the chance to meet your family at the races. Dad really enjoyed DePue and then going to the air show at Oshkosh. Mom was always so proud of you guys and your racing accomplishments. They are together now and will be missed by all.

Bruce

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

My condolences to the Hauenstein family. God bless all of them for their loss, but I think they can remember those days she spent with her family and many on the road as some of the "Route 66" type memories, that most of America looks back at with fond memories.

oldalkydriver

Words are hard for me to come by when you hear of a special persons passing. I really looked forward to our trips from San Diego to anywhere past Bakersfield. I always knew my dad would stop at Fred's. While dad usually made us wait in the car (usually not enough money) Frances would bring us kids a treat to the car. I remember in 1968, I left a job in Northern Nevada and was completely broke. I was hitch-hiking back to San Diego. The person I was riding with stopped in Kingsburg and decided to spend the night. I made my way to Fred's hoping they would let me do some work for a few dollars. I think I had tears in my eyes when I explained to Frances my desires. She fed me, slipped $10.00 into my pocket and got me a ride with a trucker to San Diego. She ask me to say hi to my mom for her. The last time I saw both Fred and Frances was at Bakersfield in 2003 or 4. Can't remember. They were in themotor home. We talked and it was nice to visit. It must be very difficult to loose such a GREAT mom, because they didn't make too many like her. My condolences to Fred Jr. and the rest of the family. Take care good friends.

Thread Information