Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Smokey 140 Evinrude

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Smokey 140 Evinrude

Got a 1985 140 Evinrude VRO that is very difficult to start when it is in the water. It appears that the engine is flooding badly at an idle and smokes like crazy. Once i get past an idle it runs very well and has lots of power. The VRO has been disconnected and i am using 50:1 premix. When the engine is running on muffs it idles properly with only a trace of smoke. I installed new needles and seats but it still loads up when starting and shakes badly until it clears itself then it is smooth as glass.
    Does anybody have idea what to try next? I'm stumped!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Fuel pump diaphragm ripped or has a hole in it. Good old ethanol again!

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Jeff, but if there is a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm i wouldn't expect it to run at WOT which it does without any problems. Also i believe that the fuel pump is part of the VRO. I think the key here is that it will idle out of the water but not in. Maybe it can't exhaust properly when the tower is full of water so it loads up.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Look at the choke

Quote Originally Posted by Dockbuster View Post
    Got a 1985 140 Evinrude VRO that is very difficult to start when it is in the water. It appears that the engine is flooding badly at an idle and smokes like crazy. Once i get past an idle it runs very well and has lots of power. The VRO has been disconnected and i am using 50:1 premix. When the engine is running on muffs it idles properly with only a trace of smoke. I installed new needles and seats but it still loads up when starting and shakes badly until it clears itself then it is smooth as glass.
    Does anybody have idea what to try next? I'm stumped!
    These motors have a enriching valve that squirts fuel into or behind the carbs instead of a choke. There is a red valve that twists to open for manuel starting. Be sure valve is closed or this electric valve is not leaking. It will make the motor run very rich at idle.

Post Thanks / Like

We actually had an update for the 1985 engines, if it sits low in the water it will do just what you say, so if you take the plastic cove off of the exhaust reliefs in the back, take a 7/16 drill and drill through the first wall of aluminum you see in the holes, not through two walls, it will start and idle better, if you do two walls, it will be even better but loud.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve. I did check and confirmed that the red valve lever is in the full down position and is not leaking fuel. I was hopeful that i would find the valve in the wrong position.

Bill, i think you have nailed it. As i am not close to the motor currently can you tell me, are these exhaust relief covers easy to find? How are the covers attached and are they above or below the bottom pan.
    It would be great to get this embarrassing problem solved.

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

call me 847 356 3245 ill tell you how t do it correctly

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the offer Bill but i believe i have it fixed. It was obvious what you were referring to when i got back to the boat and had a look.
    I drilled two holes as you suggested then returned the boat to the water. After another smokey start it quickly cleared itself and settled down to an even idle although a bit too slow. At this point it had stopped smoking and shaking It will continue to run when shifted into forward or reverse. It will get a lot of use this weekend and i expect it might get better with some WOT time. There is probably a fair bit of carbon buildup inside.

Thanks a ton Bill,
    Terry

Thread Information