Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever See A Hallett Mini Boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ever See A Hallett Mini Boat

Nick Barron didn't build many, but they were sure cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mini Hallett

Looks like a Mini version of the Sport Skier

Post Thanks / Like

Default Same Boat

I never knew what Hallett called their boat, this boat was designed by Bob Carlson, the plug was built be my dad in his garage in Garden Grove. Ron Eddy of Eliminator Daytona and other boats fame, finished the deck and actually lengthened the plug.

Somehow, Nick Barron and I "Hooked Up" and Nick build the mold. We called our boats "Snappers", I never knew what Nick called his.

Nick told me their was no money in these Mini Boats, so I I sold the mold for $6,000 to a guy in Oceanside. He took the mold to Eliminator's Mexico shop. My friend, Marion Davies has had the mold since the late '80's in Mexico.

I met with Marion in March, 2012, and asked what he'd charge me to build a boat. We have not "Hooked up" since March...He said he was busy, I told him I was real busy.

What these boats needed was a 50-60 HP, not 30 HP as the Coast Guard required...They ran like a "Rocket" with a 50 Yamaha, with power trim.

ADD:

Picture of your boat is at the Needles Marina, right??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Would this be the boat you guys are talking about? I just bought this and looking for any info I can find on it and came across your post.

The Hull ID starts with JDT but from the Coast Guard listings the manufacturers didn't look right. I think it's between 11 and 12 feet long and 56 to 57 inches wide. The story the owner had heard was it was built by Hallett and they only built a few for friends back in the day. The Hull ID also looks like it's a 1989 model which by your story means it was probably built in Mexico and not by Hallett.

I'm guessing if they are anything like how my Addictor was it will be best to keep the gas and battery up front if enough room. It's supposed to be a 40 HP Yamaha 15" shaft unfortunately no trim on it.

I'm also wondering if it would benefit from a set of the SmartTabs being so short?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nick and I Were Partner's On The Mold

Nick decided that Hallett Boats didn't want to be in the Mini Boat Business, so he sold me his half of the mold. I in turn sold the mold to a guy in Oceanside. A man named Bud Holtz took the molds to Mexico and Marion Davies built severl for Bud and the guy from Oceanside.

Marion still has the mold in Mexico, as I talk to him earlier this year.

Bob Carlson, the son of Art Carlson, drew the plans for this boat. My dad built the plug in his garage in Garden Grove. Art Carlson refusted to finish the plug because he had not desogned it or buuilt it. So, I hired Ron Eddy, of Eliminator Fame to finish the deck. He finished the deck, but also lengthened the boat about 14 to 16 inches.

If you compare the deck of this M Ini Boat to an SST Stoker, and several other Eliminators you'll see the similarity of the lines, all of which were tooled by Ron Eddy.

Nick Barron finished the "PLUG" and built the mold...This boat in the above pictures is no a Hallett lay up. It for sure is a Mexican built "SNAPPER" as we called these little "Pipsqueaks"....

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. It looks to be a cool boat and there seams to be increased interest in these little boats again and some nice looking ones up in Havasu they are building but out of my budget for this toy.

I should have it by the weekend so hoping to get it out and see how well it does with the 40 HP if everything checks out on it. I'm figuring the 3 extra feet should give a little better ride than the Addictor 190 did and a bit more room for us to shuttle the dog back to shore if we camp out on the houseboat.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

That looks sweet and was near me. Too bad I missed it although more work than I want to tackle now.

I must say I'm happy with the mini I bought though. It actually has a decent amound of room in it for an 11'-6 long boat. The title said it was a Mildgecraft but AZ registered it as a Harbercraft from the Hull ID.

The hull and deck are in pretty good shape. Actually looks pretty good for it's age and being a red boat. Interior is decent and floor is just a little soft in front of the seat.

The compression checked out at 110-115 on all 3 cylinders and it sounded good for the few seconds I ran it. Unfortunately the lower unit would only hold 7 psi so waiting for parts for them to replace a seal before it gets launched. We couldn't find the yamaha model number but turns out it's likely one from Australia they tell me.

Hopefully maybe mid week or so I'll get to take it for a cruise to see how it performs.

Orange, CA + Lake Havasu [my home away from home]
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hallett 19 View Post
    Looks like a Mini version of the Sport Skier
    How kewl is that......would LOVE to have that for the collection!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    You can take the girl out of boat racing, but you can't take boat racing out of the girl!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron I have to thank everyone involved in the design and building of this boat. We have had a blast with it and it handles much better than I ever imagined it would. I'm sure I've gone through more gas in this in the last 2 months than the houseboat all summer. Everyone asks about it and a couple guys say they want to buy one if they ever start up making them again.

The 40 HP is propped for power so it's not all that fast but it's nice because with the 2 of us and the dog in the back it has plenty of power to easily plane off and also to slow it down for larger waves. I've had it out in some whitecaps and I think it handles as well as my 1997 14' Speedster did and even better when going over waves. Probably because the Speedster couldn't slow down well and stay half on plane without constant work with the throttles.

The larger cockpit area of it compared to most other mini boats I've seen gives enough room for the 2 of us and the dog in the back along with some equipment.

Once again thanks and an excellent design in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hallett "Snapper" Mini Boat Wanted

The molds for the Snapper by Hallett are in MEXICO and I don't have enough courage to go get them. If anyone know where a Hallett Mini Boat is, I'd like to buy it.

Thread Information