Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2013: Sidewinder Racing Engine to Get Their Own Class

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2013: Sidewinder Racing Engine to Get Their Own Class

Trust me, we aren't going to race our OMC's against Sidewinders in the same class.

The Sidewinder needs its own class...Call it "B" but don't let it run with the OMC "A".

Region 12 has about 12 A Hydros, no Sidewinders. 9 "A" Hydros race at Chowchilla, and the first OMC is third, behind two Sidewinders. What are we to do with our 12 OMC's????

Answer is simple: If APBA doesn't want to give the Sidewinder their own class, maybe Region 12, who hasn't been mentioned in the Propeller Magazine this year, I think, will jump ship and race NBRA or COBRA.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 07-10-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron. I wasnt able to make the Chowchilla race . i havent heard of a Sidewinder. Would you please give some info about what they are and what the differants is. I know that the 15hp jonrude is n.o.a. unless you find a used one for lots of $ . Is this a new motor [ hopefully not JAP or China ] . I would think that B.R.F. would have had a heads up if there was something coming on line that was competitive.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

The Sidewinder was created to phase out the OMC which has not been made for 20 years. Though I like the Sidewinder project, I dont like how the rules had been written so that if in the event the Sdiewinder cant beat the OMC, the stock committee was to start slowing the OMC down the same way they did to accomodate the Mercury. Why not screw the Sidewinder the same way they did when they made the OMC gets gagged down for AXS class to allow the Merc a chance? Or why not loosen up a few rules on the Merc which is still being made and is a major brand name that has offered much to the racing community and allow it to be sped up enough to run with the OMC's in A class?

To side step the topic a tad here....Ron I love you dearly you know that, but part of the problem with the decline of APBA is because people who hold vested interests in motor brands wont look beyond the rule book so they can protect those interests which are not necessarlity good for the sport or boat racing.

There is nothing about stock outboard that is stock. In fact, as with SCCA and any other stock racing, such as Pro Stock in NHRA, Stock is the most expensive class you can run if you want to win because of ridiculous rules.....

Stock should be this.....To bring a motor home in a cardboard box, set it on your boat and pulling the rope, not being allowed to disassemble the engine. Not one engine is like that.
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ron, How many KG-4's became collector motors do to the OMC?
    How many 55H's became collector motors do to the 44XS?
    How 30H motors became collectors motors do to the Y102?
    The SORC wanted a new motor. they got one at a huge expense of Ron S. and efforts of Ed Runne.
    the SORC wanted a new D motor. They got one. and what happened?
    The SORC wanted a new 'A" motor. they got the Merc and what happened?
    You have been saying now for years that We need a motor "OFF THE Shelf" Well the Sidwinder is off the shelf. By that No need to Blueprint.
    NO one whined when the motor was a little slow. So now we have 2 motors at one race that beat some OMC's and now the WHINING starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Many Mistakes CAN APBA Make???

I feel APBA's end is in sight. Every motor mentioned, should still be allowed to race, somewhere at some time....

NAME ONE RULE CHANGE IN APBA that has do anything to grow boat racing??????

D Runabout was a big man's class. So, the lowered the weights and shortened the boats, legalized more powerful fishing motor blocks, then went to 44's. In '59 I ran 62 MPH in my DU and almost won the nationals. In 1977, I could run 70 MPH and won the Nationals...Lloyd Mize with Jimmy Dawe's 44 went 91 MPH in the kilo....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes View Post
    Ron, How many KG-4's became collector motors do to the OMC?
    How many 55H's became collector motors do to the 44XS?
    How 30H motors became collectors motors do to the Y102?
    The SORC wanted a new motor. they got one at a huge expense of Ron S. and efforts of Ed Runne.
    the SORC wanted a new D motor. They got one. and what happened?
    The SORC wanted a new 'A" motor. they got the Merc and what happened?
    You have been saying now for years that We need a motor "OFF THE Shelf" Well the Sidwinder is off the shelf. By that No need to Blueprint.
    NO one whined when the motor was a little slow. So now we have 2 motors at one race that beat some OMC's and now the WHINING starts.
    "Off the shelf" a Sidewinder RACING MOTOR in Stock Outboard racing??? I'll buy three today!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have watched the SORC do some Really DUMB stuff over the years. IE the 102 vs 302 for one.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, I yield that your historical statistics are accurate; but that was then, this is now. I dislike starting new classes as much as anybody, but that's the only viable answer for the betterment of the sport.

Betterment of the sport should be all our goals, not necessarily crapping on a backyard modified racing engine.

Here's my take: In region 12, we have 12+ A Hydro drivers.
    1. Let's say 2 or 3 of them covert to the Sidwinder. That's NO, none, nada NEW blood.
    2. You predict the number of drop outs as a result of the non-stock, modified engines. These will be called "Net Losses" to our sport.
    3. You may also predict the number of NEW drivers (that's NEW, not #1 above). These will be net gains to our sport.

In your heart of hearts, do you really believe #3 above will exceed #2, above?

A new class will not harm any existing class and may increase the numbers in our sport.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by russhill View Post
    Bill, I yield that your historical statistics are accurate; but that was then, this is now. I dislike starting new classes as much as anybody, but that's the only viable answer for the betterment of the sport.

Betterment of the sport should be all our goals, not necessarily crapping on a backyard modified racing engine.

Here's my take: In region 12, we have 12+ A Hydro drivers.
    1. Let's say 2 or 3 of them covert to the Sidwinder. That's NO, none, nada NEW blood.
    2. You predict the number of drop outs as a result of the non-stock, modified engines. These will be called "Net Losses" to our sport.
    3. You may also predict the number of NEW drivers (that's NEW, not #1 above). These will be net gains to our sport.

In your heart of hearts, do you really believe #3 above will exceed #2, above?

A new class will not harm any existing class and may increase the numbers in our sport.
    i stopped racing because of the 102 and i was national champion and five mile record holeder in c runabout
    David Bryan

Post Thanks / Like

Default Max McPeek Quit When the 15 A Came Along

He sold his five KG-4's and has never been to a race since 1984......

Thread Information