Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2013: Sidewinder Racing Engine to Get Their Own Class

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Ron!

Ron,

What are you trying to do. Just let them kill the sport - right now they are doing a fantastic job of it. Also - spending money hand over foot on a new web site and marketing strategy.

I just spent 20 hours and $2,000 dollars changing my boats from 5-Point Harness (Which were perfectly fine) to 6-Point Harnesses and had to add seats to two boats to make them legal. Some can not afford the cost or the time to do this. Also - had to take a helmet with a $1,000 paint job and cover the top 50% of it with a solid orange decal to be legal. That all makes sense right?

Just let them keep going as quickly as they can.

In your words "We have a sport to save".

Love you,

Jake

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes we do have a sport to save. Go to the APBA Annual Meeting and attend the Category Commission Meetings. They will all agree that our sport is dying. However, very few will agree with one another on how to save it.
    If we do not want new motors then why do we ask for them???
    Now Ron wants to start a (A2) class. Heck why not a (15-2) and then a (B2) for the 20 cubic in Sidewinder. Ron you want this because you bought several OMC's.
    What about the "J" class. most all now are Merc 15.
    Yes it pains me to go buy a $4600 motor when I have a $2000 OMC. or how about the 20 cube Sidewinder for 20ssh renamed B. My 30 year old $800 Y80 is now a collector motor or a B Mod.
    the OMC has a place in Mod Formula "A" That class is going to grow big time. We just need to play the cards that are dealt to us and stop trying to reshuffle the deck.

Post Thanks / Like

The problem with the spirt is that APBA is governed by active racers and those who used to race. Ulterior motives, and egos and unwise decisions have been made and repeated for 50years. Keep the rule makers out of the racing end and at the same time actively work to get on to bigger more populated bodies of water without shutting that water down so people can physically see what is going on..... It will mean making boats for rougher water.
    Now if you want a separate class for sidewinders then run Axs, A and Sidewinders all on the same 8 lap thats right 8 laps course and score them differently. Start the Sidewinders 8seconds behind the OMC and the OMC 8 seconds behind the AXS boats powered by OMC. Start the Merc AXS boats 4 seconds behind the OMC AXS boats unless you want to throw away the gagging collars that render them slow..
    Score everything separately. It can easily be done by giving drivers the time they start before the clock zeros out.....
    Now youre adding fun into the mix and not cheating other boats out of water time.

Another way is to use running l;emans starts. Engines off...They hook up kill switch and motors all start, first out of the gate is first to the turn. the general public who could become the racing public does not know what the hell is going on with the start clock...Get rid of it...
    Bill Schwab
    Dirty Deck Brewing
    Company

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Announcing

Quote Originally Posted by Skoontz View Post
    . the general public who could become the racing public does not know what the hell is going on with the start clock...Get rid of it...
    Bill,

Good point. But I want to counter that. If you have a real good professional announcer, the general public knows every detail that is happening both on and off the race course. At the Lucas Oil Speedway event that the NBRA put on last weekend is an example. We hired Ray Rodda, who is basically at the top of the list as far as boat racing announcers. He used to race, and knows kneeldowns like the back of his hand. And to boot, he has the gift of gab with the public. He is the regular announer for the USTS (Pro). He knows the game and can work the fans into a frenzy on who might win.

The PA system should be for the spectators, not the racers. An uninformed spectator is a going home spectator. We ran two PA systems, one in the pits for the racers to know what class is out, who to stage, etc. The real PA system was on the other side in the grandstands and beer tent areas. And Ray entertained the crowd. Having a good PA system and a pro announcer is part of the solution.

ADD: The clock the ODA (club) uses has two sides. So you can see it from the first turn or the other turns. This also allows the specatators to see it. They understand it a lot better this way.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Theses web sites are full of ideas for someone else to do.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Full Of it

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes View Post
    Theses web sites are full of ideas for someone else to do.
    Bill, you are full of it too. I don't see you attending a race outside your region, or with the NBRA to support anything... where were you for the Lucas Oil Speedway race ?

Believe it or not I can and do put my money where my mouth is. I contribute, I act on ideas , and I certainly am not an armchair racer. You should attend an NBRA event sometime. We don't put on races, we put on events. I do all I can for the sport, even to APBA. The reason I stopped contributing much besides entry fees to APBA is becasue nothing changes. The ideas the NBRA has implemented are the same ones APBA rejected so many times.

I can tell you I fix boats for next to nothing and a lot of the time for free when someone is in a hardship. I fix some boats that are new and they don't work well without some serious mod's done to them. I do that for free. I have built a lot of J category boats for kids at no cost, or simply the cost of materials. I have donated boats to charities the Late Ponch Trollian gave to. I don't take back my scratch money at races. I can't contribute huge amounts of money. I give more time than money. I help anyone who asks me for help with set up, motor mods, and basic driving skills.

Tell me how I can contribute more to the support without spending more of my money ? I can guarentee you that if you think of something, I am willing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Let Me Count The Motors...

1. Ade in Colorado---OMC
    2. Ade in Colorado --Merc
    3. Kevin Curtis--OMC
    4. Mike Wright--OMC
    5. Nicole Knudsen--OMC's 2
    6. Britney Schwarzenbach--OMC's 2
    7. Dave Hale--OMC 1

9 AXS-A motors...

I have one OMC sold----going to be getting payments.

So, that leaves me with 2 OMC's for sale.....Or I forgot, got a like new Runne Evinrude...

I want $2,500 each for my OMC's

My brother has a standing order for 10 Sidewinders.....never had confirmation of the order......

I've wated enough time at APBA Annual Binges! Oh, meetings. Now is the time for ACTION....

Post Thanks / Like

I have stated or implied that the approval of custom, modified racing engines was NOT in the best interest of out sport. That being said, I think those engines should NOT now be disenfranchised. That would not be in the best interest of boat racing. Some drivers might be lost.

A separate class would not hurt those guys and would not kill our current A class. ASH is or most popules Region 12 class and 2nd largest national class.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Russ, there is a place for the OMC. In MOD called Formula "A".

Post Thanks / Like

How many Forula As are registered nationally? Maybe this is the place for the Sidewinder. It is, after all, a contually modified engine. We could help build a weak, existing class and not destroy a strong class.

Thread Information