Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help... 2.4 Merc.... the story of!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schiada View Post
    I get motors like this in my shop from time to time.

Lots of merc parts,and NO where to start! They tell me " just get it to run." I ask ,run? or run right!

The reed system on this motor can't flow what will be needed to make 250HP.

The problem with you getting any ,what to do info is,where do we start?

Their was a shop in SF called PSA Marine,but I think it is gone? I think Paul would have said the same thing?

You can bring it to me,and I will put it on the Dyno for free, but I'm in Glendale AZ. I don't think you would like what it would tell you?

But what will the timing need to be?

What is it jetted for? With just the staks that has changed.

What are you going to use for fuel? With a .100 cut on the heads you may have to much compression!!! = KNOCK!

We have a big problem on the 2.4 and 2.5 with KNOCK from 3200 to 5100rpm and heavy loads. And that is with a STD motor.A lot of games were needed to get that under control.

You have asked how far is UP!

Sorry
    Actually, I didn't ask how far is up... I asked a list of specific questions on page #2 that I did not think were all that far out in left field, I also explaned on page #2 EXACTLY what was changed from stock....and the heads were NOT one of them! I also, some where in between the pic's I posted, mentioned the fact of the CHOKE PLATE being removed would aid in hard starts! I also can't believe we are still debaiting over the block size?????? Really?

...what do I have to gain from it? So some one here might think I was cool? I'm sure what ever I "THINK" I have is FREAKING NOTHING compared to what most on here have seen, heard, raced, or owned! I DON"T RACE, I'm hot a threat! I'm not try'n to impress anyone!

...Look, I'm a jerk, I'm stupid, I don't know what I'm talking about.... I lied!

You all WIN!!!

I made up the intire thing to try and impress peolpe with my "SECERT 2.4"..sorry 2.0

YOUR RIGHT! It's just a 175 or 200...what ever works! The question still remains.... Let me brake it down....If I used the linkage timing for a "175" on a "200", etc..etc.. would it work? Just hummor me...

and... as for jets.... awe...nevermind!

I will bow-out of this thread!

Apperantly I don't get it! I've been a Union Millwright for 20yrs, Raced Desert on two wheels my whole child hood, have AND work on Harleys, Jeeps, boats, and VW's

.....but can't figure out how to get past the freakn "is it real" issue, and move past the "I'm stupid" thing! I listen well, and have understanding...if someone would've taken a min. to just work it out!

"I wouldn't like what you'd tell me" .....REALLY, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME! ...was that suppose to be a jab at me?

I'M DONE!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I give up. You just don't get it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Idle Problem

First off I agree with Austin that these motors did exist from Mercury. I would think the problem you are having with the idle is the stator. You said you have a manual so do a resistance check. I'm saying this assuming that the carbs are clean and the compression is even. Based on pictures I would check the bottom crankshaft seals. I worked on one of these that belonged to US customs when it was practically new. It was very hard to start when cold. Finally determined it was due to starter not turning motor fast enough. Wrong ratio between starter drive and flywheel ring gear. Mercury sent a new starter and flywheel with different ratio and cured the problem. Unfortunantly I don't remember what the bad or good ratio was. If you have a way to check the cranking RPM and it's not above 300 RPM it will be difficult if not impossible to start. Hope this helps.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is from Mercnet.(Dealer only)

0509047 Model Nbr. 1200628 ( the 200 ,in this number is what HP the motor is.)

No active registration available

Date 10/03/1983 unidentifi

From EPC (1978 to 1988)

The dealer never put your dads name in the system.

Reeds ,if plastic replace . If SS just inspect for cracks,replace as needed.
    So repair the bolt hole.
    Get new head bolts from Merc.
    Set the motor up as a carb 200. Your will need to rejet for the missing air box.
    Test the compression if over 120 LBS,get 105+ racing fuel,don't forget the oil.
    Without a advance Mod,set the timing to not more than 21deg.At WOT.
    As for the hard start,build a choke system.
    Stator ? Can mess with the idle but??? Do electric test.

Now here is a Frinkin-motor. Lots of Mercury Parts.

Post Thanks / Like

there u go
    been reading these replys
    and knew a dealer or a merc historian would come up
    and tell u what u had
    as i stated im not a historian
    definately belive austin and schiada on knowing that motor
    also know it wouldnet be over 200 hp
    with the 150/175 vertical reed set up
    as when the 225 came in 80 they had the large
    horizonal 14 pedal reeds and the big wh-20 carbs
    so that would bumpit from 200 to 225

i be u would be talking nice to schiada
    and getting them carbs from him,,,
    they are the hp 1s with slosh tubes and baffles
    and have a primer system to make it easy to start
    and listen to his suggestions on tune
    john

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

R Austin on last page has it perfectly correct...IT IS an early hi perf. 2.4 200hp with mods.
    It's a high perf version because it has an aluminum flywheel, unpainted heads and exhaust cover plate, and the light weight cowling. The cowl looks correct for the year...they did put them on some 2 peice adapter plates...I had one like that.
    With the heads cut and the other stuff, the dealer or someone at merc probably decided it would make "about" 250hp and thats were that came from.
    Make a primer system like on your 86 2.4 and that will fix your cold start problem. Everything else you have been told about what to check is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read all the posts here...but I agree with Fyremanbill....That looks to be a 1978 Offshore motor from Hi-Perf. Not very many originals around. There is one local to me and I think I have the 1978 advertisement for them. Originally the gearcase was not a lwpu (offshore). Too bad you don't have the cowl anymore. Also the prop looks like a yammy cleaver with a bent edge. I am pretty sure the velocity stacks were standard on the carbs too.
    Sorry, i know it doesn't help your running problems. But positive ID helps. Cool Motor!
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LakeRacer99 View Post
    I didn't read all the posts here...but I agree with Fyremanbill....That looks to be a 1978 Offshore motor from Hi-Perf. Not very many originals around. There is one local to me and I think I have the 1978 advertisement for them. Originally the gearcase was not a lwpu (offshore). Too bad you don't have the cowl anymore. Also the prop looks like a yammy cleaver with a bent edge. I am pretty sure the velocity stacks were standard on the carbs too.
    Sorry, i know it doesn't help your running problems. But positive ID helps. Cool Motor!
    Thanks Brother! It's been a long time come'n to find someone out there that has seen one before! I spend more time try'n to prove what it is, then time fixing it when I 'm having problems.... There are a few changes I've made, the V-stacks are Bob's Mach. it came with a choke plate org. and the lower unit is off of my 200...I put the nose cone on it myself! The prop is one of Mr. Hill's, when my Dad bought it new it came with a cleaver that I still have... The cowling makes me sick to my stomach every time I think about lose'n it, it happened the FIRST time I took it out 13yrs ago! I have found more pictures with close-ups of the cowling showing the front and front corner, you can see where it says "MERC" and "BLACKMAX" but can't see the rest of the decals...but I'm working on that!

.....as for the problems, I decided to start at square one! Right now I'm in the process of new rings and reeds(they were bad) and a new trigger(wires were bad)! I also found a jet that had backed itself out and was floating around the bowl! So like I said, I'm starting with the basics and once I get it freshened-up....I don't think I'll have to many problems left! Just the things I found in tear-down were causing most of my problems!

Oh, and if you get a chance... I'd LOVE to see that add! PLUS, I found a company in Canada that re-pops the old 70's 2.4 all red decals that read "MERC" not "Mercury" like for the T3 1750sx and the early Formula cowlings, and the one I'm missing! The picture below I got off of the internet, my cowling was close to this but said "offshore" where this one says "Formula".....I think that's were it said it, Hell people have been telling me NO for so long, I'm starting to have trouble remembering what it said!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Look up Parker Rabe on screamandfly or here,,,I think he talked about having these decals reproduced a few years back. I scanned some of his dads old pics and there were a few of these motors at his dealership back in the good ole days. I was wanting to make them as well. I would still be interested in a set if you find someone making them - The Formula ones.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you bought a replacement set of decals from Merc back when they were still available, they had little decals to cover the "formula" with offshore, Mod VP, 2.4, 2.0, etc. I still have half a set of the rainbow color decals from the mid 80's .

Thread Information