Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help... 2.4 Merc.... the story of!

Post Thanks / Like

DAMM MY LUCK! ...I swear to....

So not only do not have that cowl any more to prove what it said, I can't find the F'n receipt now!!!!! When I got the boat from my Dad I had:

1. The org. receipt; Bought from Pratt Bros. in Redlands, Ca
    2. The org "letter of intent" my Dad sent to Mercury
    3. The stupid freakn little tags that tell you to be a safe boater etc.
    4 The receipt from Witch Craft for one "Bare" hull

...All from 1978! ....1978 being the date of the receipts... maybe the motor is an early '79 model?

There is no freak'n way he bought an '80-later block in '78!

Wish you guys knew my Dad....He ain't got it in him to make-up a story like this! ..and why, for what????? He was just some working stiff that tried to build his own race boat, and race a few races! ...or I wish someone on here knew Dennis Kirby...He could back the story!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! ...I found it!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

dont doubt the sale
    does say 2.4 on ticket when 2.4 hasnt been released yet
    but on ticket and motor tag
    motor ids starting with 48------ to 50------according to mercury id list
    would be a 175
    then on the reciept it says 17500
    thats what a 175 was called then,,,,,,

again no disrespect
    but need to open up the motor and see if it is a 2.0 or 2.4
    looks to be 2.0
    again im no experert if mercury made a special 2.4 in 1978
    but doubt with a clamshell 2 piece tuner from the factory
    but can be wrong as no expert
    good luck
    last reply
    john

Post Thanks / Like

You guys have a long way to go before you disrespect me.... You are telling me things I have heard for a long time now! Like I said, I was expecting it! I really would like to find the history on this from Mercury someday, for now I will settle for the darn thing running right now!

Thank you John, you have shed some light on the "Bad running issue" , I will check all things mentioned.

...and, again, you didn't disrespect me Brother, you don't know me from Adam, and your just going by what you do know, and the hard facts writen out in black-n-white! Which is why when they ask for the serial # when go to buy parts...I just give them the one on my 200!

...BRB, I'm going to go pull the head!

Post Thanks / Like

...head removed!
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

that is a 2.4 bore
    and the original 225 type ports
    1 ex 2 transfers 1 wide boost

2.4 bore with small vertical 5 pedal reeds
    who would uf thunk
    never seen it
    merc was always tryin things
    there u go a 1 off build,,,,,
    from outside its 2.0
    inside different animal
    pic tells all
    believe u now

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks chrome to me!

Maybe is two motors? Front 150/175/1750 and the rear early 200/2000?
    Case seam looks funny??

And how did they get the air out of the top of the block??

Think this one is just funny.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

3 ram trim in 78??
    nice photos
    weird cooling system

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Good eye Powerboat! And the strap is off the tower,can't use it with the newer transom braket.

Post Thanks / Like

@ Powerboat and Schiada:

Nice catch... I was wondering when/if someone would notice?!?

...I was try'n not to complicate this whole entire thing more, but since you guys caught it, here goes!

I have two boats, the yellow Witchcraft from the photos, and the Hallett in my avatar. The Witchcraft was my first boat, I then bought the Hallet when I broke the transom on the Witchcraft. Everything was groovy with the Hallet until I got in a hurry head'n to the lake for the "First trip of the season" and thought the water pump would be good for just one quick trip to the lake.....so I didn't check it, forgot about it once we got there....long story short, "By-By" 200hp 2.4! So I drug it back to the house, off with the 1986 200hp 2.4 and slap thee'ole 1978 250hp 2.4 on! Well I had clamp issues, first- bolt pattern different, second- '78 has the twin rams with an inboard pump...'86 has three ram w/ pump built in, see where this is going... Use the '86 clamp, no running lines through the transom, no dealing with jack plate issues = back to the lake and on the water! I also used the lower unit off of the '86 2.4 because I had just put a Bob's nose cone on it the summer before!

Since everyone for the last 15yrs had said the '78 2.4 was a "Frankenstien" and NOT factory...I did not want to fuel the fire with the "Changing of the clamp and lower unit" story right out of the gate!

Now that's all out of the way.... I have so many "Need help/opinion" questions!

1. The '78 lower unit has the thrust pin in the top of the shaft, the '86 doesn't- Is this an issue? Isn't the pin to put pre-load on the pinion? The shafts both mic'd the same, splines seemed to be cut the same... Is the depth of the spline bore deeper in the '78 2.4 crank because of the pin in the older lower unit and would it leave to much clearance using a newer lower unit?

2. Should I use the specs for a "225hp" for timming and carbs?

3. Motor sat for a long time before I got it, sat again for another 5yrs after I got it...so time for seals and rings right? I know I could till with a compression test, but since I just took a head off I don't want to waist another head gasket...or....should I?

4. If I do need reeds, guess'n I do cause of age and the problems I'm having, should I go back with stock....or....would it be worth try'n out some aftermarkets? Any sugguestions on style/brand... I've worked with/on 2-stroke dirtbikes my whole life, so do the same tricks apply like; Boyesen 2-stage cageless reeds being the hot set-up? Do they use 2-stage on outboards?

5. Can I bead-blast the heads (outsides)

6. I pulled threads in one bolt hole taking the head off last night, is there enough meat on the stud bosses for heli-coils? Should I change to studs on the heads?

7. Is it bad joo-joo to use stainless bolts ie. Heads, covers, etc.? Stainless-to-aluminum gets tricky sometimes.....maybe not?

....I know I'm burning through the questions, I just don't want to F-up this motor by doing something stupid through "Blind" trial-n-error! The people sale'n the product ALWAYS claim theirs is the hot set-up! ...just figure the fella's with thier butts in the seats looking for checkers would be better to ask instead of a milliom different web-sites claim'n to be the one!

Thread Information