Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Richard McKinley

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Richard McKinley

Richard "Rich" McKinley past Saturday, August4, after a prolonged illness. Rich started working for Jack Leek in the OMC race group in 1967. He was also a race boat driver for many years and one of the few that drove a rotary. May he rest in peace.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Miami 225 1969

Ted May, Paul Drake and I headed for Miami in July 1969. s we left my parent's house in Garden Grove, California with Ted's May Craft hydro in tow, Ted mentioned he had some silver dollars for the trip.

Even in those days, silver dollars were worth about 3 to 1, so when ted offered me $300 worth of silver dollars for $300 I TOOK IT.

We managed to get to Miami with a few "GLITCHES". Radar was relatively new in those days, so when the Texas COP stopped Ted for going 100 MPH, even the COP wondered if his radar was working. So, he let let Ted go, The COP didn't think a Chevrolet could pull a boat 100 MPH...

We got to Miami and ran the race.

I needed to get to DePue to race my boats, but Ted wanted to go to Texas to race. So, I made a deal with Jack Leek, that I was to get paid /$.15 per mile for my car. I told Jack, "If you will get me to Chicago, I will let Ted take my car to Texas."

So, Jack agreed, that I could ride in the OMC Race truck to Waukegan, with Rich McKinley.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-29-2012 at 10:24 PM.

Thread Information