Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: At long last - Merc 666!

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carb adapters

The carb adapters are fly-cut three at a time to assure planar alignment. Now that they are machined, it's off to the weld shop to plug the prime injector holes finished in error (not enough material to secure carb studs). If all goes according to plan, the adapters will be finish machined and studded this weekend. Look for mockup images next week.

TimName:  666-444.26.JPG
Views: 912
Size:  242.5 KBName:  666-444.27.JPG
Views: 896
Size:  231.2 KBName:  666-444.28.JPG
Views: 923
Size:  224.2 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carbs & adapters

Stange, last night the carbs and adapters post was submitted but it didn't take. Hmmm.

Anyway, here the carbs are shown with velocity stacks. Each has its own prime injector nozzle, though butterfly shafts need to be reversed on the port carbs. Also, throat extensions must be made to allow clearance.

So it's off the the welding shop after work to plug extra holes in three carb adapters. Then a few drilled & tapped holes and it's time for a mock up.

This weekend the bench will be cleared of other engines to prep the 444 and 666 for the duct bonding process. Also, the turbo will run to confirm jetting in prep for next Friday at Hillsdale.

Look for pics of the mockup Monday.

TimName:  666-444.35.JPG
Views: 864
Size:  243.1 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim'
    Your are a true master of the craft. As allway's your project's are great.
    Look's as if trottle linkage's will require a bit of rigging for this one.
    btw. Hope the turbo perform's well, (GREAT)
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Throttle challenge

Quote Originally Posted by byrdsperformance@tds.net View Post
    Tim'
    Your are a true master of the craft. As allway's your project's are great.
    Look's as if trottle linkage's will require a bit of rigging for this one.
    btw. Hope the turbo perform's well, (GREAT)
    Mike
    Thanks for your compliments Mike, this project has been brewing since 2010. Linkage will be OMC factory style carb-to-carb links with a snowmobile split cable, one to each bank. Not sure if the pull will be from bottom or top yet, but the dead man will connect somewhere near the bottom of the "tower of power".

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damage control

Hmmmmmmmmm, let's see here. Enthused about the project and eager to push ahead, I quickly glance at images of the original 444 to confirm prime locations (#1 & #3). Then I proceed to carefully locate, drill, and tap three perfect prime injector ports for the 666: Total time about 30 minues.

A day later I realize the carbs have built in nozzles, worse the ports are directly under the carb mounting studs - duh! After 1-1/2 hours driving, an hour and $15 at the weld shop, and another hour to belt sand, re-locate holes, drill and tap the adapters, and they are ready for fitting.

Had I taken three minutes to actually THINK about what I was doing, the project would have been 4 hours further ahead. Pretty good investment in time. Yeah, yeah, gramps taught me years ago to think first, measure twice, and cut once. So much for my memory! Just goes to prove sometimes you've gotta slow dow to go faster!

Will be up early machining throat extensions and reversing butterfly shafts............Name:  666.36.JPG
Views: 799
Size:  244.1 KBName:  666.37.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  247.2 KBName:  666.38.JPG
Views: 802
Size:  241.3 KB

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Throat extensions

Careful carb fitting reduced offset angle from 22 to 20 degrees per side and still required 5/8" thick extensions for clearance. Here you see the six extensions in rough. An hour of bandsaw and belt grinding tomorrow and the front end can be mocked up.

Oh yeah, that's one whopping drill bit!

TimName:  666.39.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  254.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default 666 progress

Hi Tim,
    It really is looking great. One note though if you run you machinery backwards it puts the chips back and fills unwanted holes and cuts. I know I have tried it often with great results.

Alan.

Thread Information