Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: At long last - Merc 666!

Post Thanks / Like

Tim Look at the number of post credited to you. Neat, 444 post showing the 444 and the 666. Some of us have warped minds, is not 666 the devils number?
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another beast?

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    Tim Look at the number of post credited to you. Neat, 444 post showing the 444 and the 666. Some of us have warped minds, is not 666 the devils number?
    David
    You're sure enough right, 666 is the "number of the beast", though purely coincidental. 444 = 4 carbs 44 cubic inches, 666 is 6 carbs 66 cubic inches. Should I chose to built a Mark25H powerhead, it will be a 220.

Building so many custom engines, I found the need to establish names to remember critical features. My Mercury's have numerical codes, early OMC's have names or an acronym, while later OMC's have signs of the zodiac or predatory animals (because there are not enough zodiac signs).

How do you keep track of your engines?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Tim,
    Progress is really moving forward. At the rate your going it will be running by the weekend and on the water the following. Now the fun starts putting the systems on the engine. Really looks good. Have you done any port work yet? We will have to work on the 6 cylinder outing for next year. It would be great if we could get 8 to 10 on the water.

Alan
    Looks are deceiving, Alan. There's much work to do before pulling the rope. I'll be happy to have the fully rigged, fully functional 666 rigged in time for Mark's swap meet. Next year, a special event for combined MK75H (stock), 850cc (mod), or 1100cc (alky), would surely fill a field. It will be a sight/sound to see. Am still thinking Contantine and Hillsdale, possibly Depue. How about you?

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Six Cylinder thunder fest

Well it is a hard choice to pick a site. Maybe we could get folks to pick a location that would get the greatest number of engine to show up. It would be great also if we could get a sponcer for the event. I will bring the 75-H MOD engine and a stock 75-H. I think it might be possible to get a couple other 75-H engines on the water. I know Doug Kay was restoring 4 of them so we will see.

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 6 evenly spaced pulses?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    Chad Hill had a couple of Yamaha V-6 motors. He decided to line bore the cases and install Merc V-6 cranks, rods and pistons. Everything went fine, until we went to start it....60 degree timing base is different than a 90 degree....If it had run it would have gone rum, rum, rum rum bum bum bum, rum....Only couls us 2 grand...saved the pistons, cranks and rods for Mercs....Seemed like a great idea at the time!
    Hey Ron,

Just realized your post was not responded to. The Yam with Merc internals was ambitious enough, but not sure about the timer base theory. If the firing order is the same, and cylinders are spaced evenly about the crank circle, the timer base should have worked regardless. Was firing order the problem?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sneak peek

For Powerabout and others interested in 444-666 internals, a couple of images to fuel your fires. These are historical from the 444.1 project. The 444.2 and 444.3 have aluminum reed cages to save weight. The 666 will have aluminum cages as well.

Though I haven't measured the difference, reed cage stuffing makes up for at least some of the duct volume gained with the pyramid reed setup. Does this make sense now?

Name:  444 stuffing.2.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  116.8 KBName:  444.stuffing.1.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  95.1 KB

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

What is the purpose of the plates on top and on bottom of each reed cage?

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

My guess is to stuff the crankcase to lower the overall volume and since he is using external reeds, no need for the Merc set up.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuffing anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Weber View Post
    My guess is to stuff the crankcase to lower the overall volume and since he is using external reeds, no need for the Merc set up.

Tim
    Hey Brad,

Tim is correct - The plates serve dual purpose: 1) Plugging the existing reed openings which allows use of the existing reed cages as crank bearings. And 2) Stuffing the case to make up for some/all of the volume growth in the pyramid reed duct.

What I'm surprised at is nobody mentioned the piston......

Tim

Tim Weber
    Post Thanks / Like

2 ring set up an cut skirt?

Tim

Thread Information