Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: At long last - Merc 666!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Finished crankcase

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Progress is great. Can't weight till nex year at Hillsdale. Should be a fun event if all the folks bring a six.

Alan
    I'm hoping for a full field. Here are the rest of the images. Now it's on to porting, boring, and honing.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images        

David_L6

Here is a different cage that could be used in one of those builds that doesn't have to comply with any rules. Slightly larger and maybe easier to mount. Name:  100_1983 (2).jpg
Views: 890
Size:  64.1 KBName:  100_1982 (2).jpg
Views: 892
Size:  116.1 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternate cages

[QUOTE=David_L6;124858]Here is a different cage that could be used in one of those builds that doesn't have to comply with any rules. Slightly larger and maybe easier to mount.

Hi David,

The 4-port cages look interesting. Have you compared internals dimensionally? The fact it's a pyramid already will save some machine work. Do you mind sharing the application?

Tim

David_L6

I haven't done much measuring. They look bigger to me though. Those are from a McCulloch.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default McCulloch reed cages

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    I haven't done much measuring. They look bigger to me though. Those are from a McCulloch.
    Are they current production?

Tim

David_L6

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Are they current production?

Tim
    Oh goodness no. They are from an old 3 cylinder (75 hp I think) McCulloch outboard. I don't know how difficult it would be to find more of them but for one of your one off projects it may be worth doing a little digging.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Out of production reed boxes

Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    Oh goodness no. They are from an old 3 cylinder (75 hp I think) McCulloch outboard. I don't know how difficult it would be to find more of them but for one of your one off projects it may be worth doing a little digging.
    Sorry to hear about that.... Pretty as the McCulloch cages are, it's not worth the chase knowing they are NLA and that custom reeds must be made. Boyesen offers several 8-port cages with two- and now three-stage reeds available.

For the 666 & 444, the OMC 6-port cage is compact, plentiful, cheap, offers 50% greater opening area compared to the Merc reed cage, and fiber reeds are available multiple sources.

All that said, thank you for offering an interesting alternative.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

that reed bolt pattern looks very familiar?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A matter of perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    that reed bolt pattern looks very familiar?
    Might be you're talking about the 8-port OMC, except the cage would be wider......... Or is there another?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Port work

Here are images from the Bridgeport showing rough port work - hand work to follow. Exhaust ports are not raised to maintain compression and mid-range punch. A 5/16" mill is used and bridges are not narrowed to maintain heat transfer and strength. Final cut is with a 3/4" ball end mill to improve gas escapement from the center exhaust port. Intake ports are opened with a 1/4" mill which allows slightly greater area increase as this side runs cool. Again, bridges are not narrowed to maintain strength. This is one of the easier, more pleasurable operations on the build. The 444/666 projects are not for beginners unless taken slowly. Through the many hours and mods I must remind myself the results are worth the effort!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Thread Information