Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: At long last - Merc 666!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Filler boock fitting

Here you see the results of several hours work...... A beautiful new casting from another source proved improperly patterned at 1:1 - aluminum pattems must be built with a "shrink scale" allowing 1/8" shrink per 12". The filler block for the MK75-78-700 is 18" tall, so was 3/16" short overall. This error required sectioning, welding, and much addional fitting - bummer! It is salvageble however and will be mated to the divider plate and elbows this weekend.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Here you see the results of several hours work...... A beautiful new casting from another source proved improperly patterned at 1:1 - aluminum pattems must be built with a "shrink scale" allowing 1/8" shrink per 12". The filler block for the MK75-78-700 is 18" tall, so was 3/16" short overall. This error required sectioning, welding, and much addional fitting - bummer! It is salvageble however and will be mated to the divider plate and elbows this weekend.

Tim
    Tim
    You should have told me you needed a filler block. I have 3 left that I patterned up and made to complete one of my deflecters.A small trim job on each end and bottom slides thru exhaust drop outlet and swings down in. Fits like a glove. Shrinkage rate is 1/64 inch per inch.Name:  IMG-20120927-00695.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  113.0 KBName:  IMG-20120927-00696.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  149.0 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahhh, a real pattern maker!

[QUOTE=R Austin;124991]Tim
    You should have told me you needed a filler block. I have 3 left that I patterned up and made to complete one of my deflecters.A small trim job on each end and bottom slides thru exhaust drop outlet and swings down in. Fits like a glove. Shrinkage rate is 1/64 inch per inch.

Hey Dick,

At the time, I didn't know there was a problem with the casting in hand. Sure wish I knew before, your casting would have saved hours and $25 Heliarc..... Thanks for the casting knowledge: 1/64" shrink/inch (.0156") makes more sense as the 18" filler block X .0156" = .281" shrink. Will make due with this for now, but would like one for a backup. Please bring to Suter's.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Parker converging stacks

Here are images of filler block, divider plate, and elbow machining and fitting. There are numerous steps required because of the sandwich construction, and piles of chips: The pictures don't do the work justice. All told, there are over 12 hours work so far, and the rear water bypass has yet to be built. The good news is IF all goes well tomorrow, the powerhead will be ready for assembly Monday or Tuesday. Gotta take time for the turbo tomorrow afternoon. Enjoy!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beauty!

With the water manifold done, we're cooking with gas - or maybe alcohol? Gotta go......... the turbo is calling.

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just post the sound clips when its running

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    Just post the sound clips when its running
    You can count on it - next summer - or possibly this fall on the trailer. It's unlikely to be driven this year; running out of WX and turbo needs one more day on the water!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 666 Progress

The powerhead is comming along great. Have you started the tower for the unit or will you use the three cylinder unit?
    Alan
    PS: Time to start thinking of a 999!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tower selection

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    The powerhead is comming along great. Have you started the tower for the unit or will you use the three cylinder unit?
    Alan
    PS: Time to start thinking of a 999!
    The 666 will be fitted to one of my steel towers with a 45SS gearcase. Two reasons: 1) It's already built. 2) I can't bring myself to carve up that beautiful Speedmaster. It belongs on a vintage Merc in complete form.

I like the idea of Dick Austins 99 inch "Beast", and can't wait to see/hear it run. Not sure if 9 carbs would help, am pretty sure six would be plenty.

Look for major progress this weekend. Time is getting tight!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

We'll all be looking!

This is an exciting build with great photos!

Jeff

Thread Information