Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: At long last - Merc 666!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    You can thank Dale Ropp for the lines. Built in 2000, it's 13'-0" with a 38-1/2" bottom and 92" afterplanes. It runs eveything from a 45SS to the turbo and next year will run the 666. Comfortable and predictable, it's very stable to 95+.

Tim
    Oh nice, was going to guess larger, but the engine size made the boat look smaller. So you'll ship that to my place so I can try it on my 12'6" Sid? HAHA

On a more serious note. 2 blade or 3 blade on this beast and what diameter/pitch are you starting at?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No such thing as too much power!

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    Oh nice, was going to guess larger, but the engine size made the boat look smaller. So you'll ship that to my place so I can try it on my 12'6" Sid? HAHA

On a more serious note. 2 blade or 3 blade on this beast and what diameter/pitch are you starting at?
    The 666 on your Sid is no big stretch: Check out this 13' Andrews with a 2.5 Merc! It has yet to be lake tested, but may be the worlds most powerful kneeler ever built.... The unmistakeable work of Dixon Smith. How'd you like to pull the trigger on that???

Anyway, the 666 is expected to make similar power/RPM to my OMC 850/FE engines. The first prop to be tested will be a DeWald 4-blade cleaver 8" Dia. X 13" Pitch. Adjustments will be made from there.

Tim

BTW: Last night at 8PM the driveshaft was fitted and the boat cleaned just in time for Suter's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

That rig is ridiculous, haha, and yes, that would be a wild wild ride. But I am happy with my 66ci racer for now. The baddest I will go on the Sid is one day having a D or F Looper on it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wild rides

Quote Originally Posted by BJuby View Post
    That rig is ridiculous, haha, and yes, that would be a wild wild ride. But I am happy with my 66ci racer for now. The baddest I will go on the Sid is one day having a D or F Looper on it.
    Joys rides on calm lakes are a long way from competition. Regardless of available power and conditions, smart drivers know the throttle works two ways. Remember to always leave yourself an out!

Let me know if you'd like one of these; I'm willing to build two more.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default 666

Great work Tim. If I got one I would want twin turbos and nox to make it into a good mod engine. It is an outstanding build.

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Name the engine

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Great work Tim. If I got one I would want twin turbos and nox to make it into a good mod engine. It is an outstanding build.

Alan
    OK Alan,

Just name the powerhead; I've got two spare turbos and know the local NOS distributor personally. Durability will suffer, but you can't use that much power very long. I'd sure like to test it - on a big boat!

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Correcction

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    The 666 on your Sid is no big stretch: Check out this 13' Andrews with a 2.5 Merc! It has yet to be lake tested, but may be the worlds most powerful kneeler ever built.... The unmistakeable work of Dixon Smith. How'd you like to pull the trigger on that???

Anyway, the 666 is expected to make similar power/RPM to my OMC 850/FE engines. The first prop to be tested will be a DeWald 4-blade cleaver 8" Dia. X 13" Pitch. Adjustments will be made from there.

Tim

BTW: Last night at 8PM the driveshaft was fitted and the boat cleaned just in time for Suter's.

Hey all,

Last evening I learned from Dixon the Andrews is actually 14'-6". Sorry about the error.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Tim, would love to see more pictures of Dixon's rig...better yet, where can I see it run!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Updates

Quote Originally Posted by proprider01us View Post
    Hey Tim, would love to see more pictures of Dixon's rig...better yet, where can I see it run!

The Suter show was excellent as usual, and the 666 got plenty of attention. There were many racers in attendance. Pleasant surprise: Upon return, the 666 was de-rigged, then weighed in at 166.5 Lbs. Weight reduction should bring the total to 165 including the switch box and spark coil - better than expected.

Dixon Smith visited for the first time and was stunned with the collection and pristine show motors. He plans to run the Andrews-Merc tomorrow. Images and video are sure to follow. He is asking for help from the audience: Does anybody know anything about George Andrews and the boats he built?

Many thanks for all of you watching: This thread captured the imaginations of many, with over 14,000 views in 70 days. An average of 200 per day - Wow! Though a short break will be taken, more will be posted when the powerhead is finished. Stay tuned1

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim:

Congrats on both building such a jewel of a motor, and for the excellence of your photography that allowed so many people to enjoy its progress.

Now, if only we could hear it run!

Jeff

Thread Information