Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: At long last - Merc 666!

Post Thanks / Like

Default 666

Hi Tim,
    Great progress on the new engine. Looks great and I truely want to hear it run. It will be great if we can do a 6 cylinder MOD fest one day. Be so good to hear a bunch on the water again.

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Merc 6 special event

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Great progress on the new engine. Looks great and I truely want to hear it run. It will be great if we can do a 6 cylinder MOD fest one day. Be so good to hear a bunch on the water again.

Alan
    Thanks for your support.... Plan on an event next year. Possible boats are Van Weele, Kurcz, Welch, Austin (as many as 4 boats), Brill/Weinert (rumor is they just bought the Dunn rig) and others. That's a minimum of 5 so far.

Others with a stock, mod, or alky Merc 60 or 66 cubic inch six interested to run a special event please respond. Hydros for sure, perhaps runabouts too. Let's get a roll call going.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Default Six cyliners

If all goes well obver the winter I plan on restoring my Jerry Waldman Sid. Doug Kay is finishing up my two 75-H engines so might also bring that to run with our MOD engine.

Alan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Target = full field of sixes

Quote Originally Posted by Aeroliner View Post
    If all goes well obver the winter I plan on restoring my Jerry Waldman Sid. Doug Kay is finishing up my two 75-H engines so might also bring that to run with our MOD engine.

Alan
    Wouldn't it be great to see a full field? How many of you will dust off your rigs?

Just want to make sure there's a pro videographer there. Can you spell youTube?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reed block prep

Here, aluminum screws are installed with Loctite 271 (high strength). Loctite is dripped into the holes and the screws driven slowly to extrude the liquid into the threads by hydraulic pressure, assuring complete thread fill.

Once cured, most of the screw will be milled away along with the angled portion of the reed cage. This leaves a solid flat flange surface into which re-located mounting holes will be drilled and tapped in the newly modified pyramid reed block.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 08-24-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a secret formula to determine reed area versus cylinder capacity

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Secrets?

There is no formula that I know of as pertains to displacement. There are five metrics that I use: 1) Combined port width at the apex. and 2) Combined effective reed area (outer 2/3 of reed). 3) Ratio of duct volume consumed to either of the above. 4) What will reasonably fit the duct without affecting ccase compression, and 5) What do the racing rules say: Are there any limitations or prohibitions?

Observations are that later model cages have steeper angles than earlier designs. This may have been be more related to packaging than flow capability. Also, engines accelerate better more with more reed area. My thinking is greater area allows reeds to respond more quickly even though top end performance is little affected.

Unless you work research with a flow bench (or dyno) and have a penchant for wringing the most out of your project, you're better off scouring the SAE database for tech papers on the subject. This is most certainly a well researced topic.

Tim

PS If any of you have a formula and care to share, please save us all some time & $$$.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few SAE papers from a couple of Japanese guys on various things that are very good reading but not focused on reeds.

The angle is interesting I think OMC has some documentation on red angle re low speed and high speed differences

I have one on reed simulation that is in the public domain, I will dig it up.

I have always tried to find data on the 500cc GP bike engines but that clearly is locked away
    Cheers
    EDIT Found it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reed box design

Quote Originally Posted by Powerabout View Post
    I have a few SAE papers from a couple of Japanese guys on various things that are very good reading but not focused on reeds.

The angle is interesting I think OMC has some documentation on red angle re low speed and high speed differences

I have one on reed simulation that is in the public domain, I will dig it up.

I have always tried to find data on the 500cc GP bike engines but that clearly is locked away
    Cheers
    EDIT Found it
    Name:  666-444.10.JPG
Views: 804
Size:  172.8 KBName:  666-444.11.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  177.3 KBName:  666-444.12.JPG
Views: 779
Size:  173.5 KBName:  666-444.13.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  159.1 KB

Is this the simulation you refered to? A brief review proves the tools interesting.

http://www.torqsoft.net/reed-petal-design.html

The power of the internet for research is fantastic! The fact is engine architecture, packaging, and economics throttle unbridled design.

Anyway, here is the latest progress. The hardest part is done!
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 08-26-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Add text

Post Thanks / Like

Default 666 looking great!

Hi Tim,
    Engine is really getting there fast. At the rate your moving you will be running it in 4 weeks. Your making so many chips that you could sell bags of them to help with the cost of creating the work of art.

Alan

Thread Information