Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: At long last - Merc 666!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reed plate at last!

The last somewhat complicated part to make is the reed plate:Many holes, critical allignment. Good layout & dimensioning from the start made this one easy. Well, perhaps the three 444's before had something to do with it. One thing for sure, the shop needs a serious cleaning!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kurcz View Post
    Sorry to hear about your dilemma. Better to find out about it sooner than later. I'm hoping another Merc crank will do the job! Good luck,

Tim
    Not a big dilemma. I will use a standard 1500 crank and make a bearing insert for a center main block to hold a single row bearing set to replace reed assemblies.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Relief!

Quote Originally Posted by R Austin View Post
    Not a big dilemma. I will use a standard 1500 crank and make a bearing insert for a center main block to hold a single row bearing set to replace reed assemblies.
    Great news - the 1500 crank is durable and plentiful. I'd like to believe there's a readily available split bearing kit available somewhere. When do you plan completion?

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Another day, another pound of chips

The 666 is marching right along. Only one mistake so far (duplicated three times), which may prove inconsequential. The #1-3-5 carb adapters were drilled and tapped for prime injector nozzles. An hour later, I remembered the carbs have nozzles built in. That's what Heliarc is for......

Here the roughed-in reed plate is shown fitted to the crankcase with modified cages attached. Next comes final fitting and carb adapter machining. If it rains this weekend (likely due to Hurricane Isaac), the front end will be completed. Otherwise, I plan to run the turbo (missed the weather window last weekend).

Enjoy!

Tim

Name:  666-444.25.JPG
Views: 884
Size:  232.5 KBAttachment 49930Name:  666-444.22.JPG
Views: 882
Size:  250.9 KBName:  666-444.23.JPG
Views: 875
Size:  239.7 KBName:  666-444.24.JPG
Views: 867
Size:  256.8 KB
    Last edited by Tim Kurcz; 08-28-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Exchange image

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carb adapters

The carb adapters are fly-cut three at a time to assure planar alignment. Now that they are machined, it's off to the weld shop to plug the prime injector holes finished in error (not enough material to secure carb studs). If all goes according to plan, the adapters will be finish machined and studded this weekend. Look for mockup images next week.

TimName:  666-444.26.JPG
Views: 895
Size:  242.5 KBName:  666-444.27.JPG
Views: 878
Size:  231.2 KBName:  666-444.28.JPG
Views: 901
Size:  224.2 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Carbs & adapters

Stange, last night the carbs and adapters post was submitted but it didn't take. Hmmm.

Anyway, here the carbs are shown with velocity stacks. Each has its own prime injector nozzle, though butterfly shafts need to be reversed on the port carbs. Also, throat extensions must be made to allow clearance.

So it's off the the welding shop after work to plug extra holes in three carb adapters. Then a few drilled & tapped holes and it's time for a mock up.

This weekend the bench will be cleared of other engines to prep the 444 and 666 for the duct bonding process. Also, the turbo will run to confirm jetting in prep for next Friday at Hillsdale.

Look for pics of the mockup Monday.

TimName:  666-444.35.JPG
Views: 849
Size:  243.1 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim'
    Your are a true master of the craft. As allway's your project's are great.
    Look's as if trottle linkage's will require a bit of rigging for this one.
    btw. Hope the turbo perform's well, (GREAT)
    Mike

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Throttle challenge

Quote Originally Posted by byrdsperformance@tds.net View Post
    Tim'
    Your are a true master of the craft. As allway's your project's are great.
    Look's as if trottle linkage's will require a bit of rigging for this one.
    btw. Hope the turbo perform's well, (GREAT)
    Mike
    Thanks for your compliments Mike, this project has been brewing since 2010. Linkage will be OMC factory style carb-to-carb links with a snowmobile split cable, one to each bank. Not sure if the pull will be from bottom or top yet, but the dead man will connect somewhere near the bottom of the "tower of power".

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Damage control

Hmmmmmmmmm, let's see here. Enthused about the project and eager to push ahead, I quickly glance at images of the original 444 to confirm prime locations (#1 & #3). Then I proceed to carefully locate, drill, and tap three perfect prime injector ports for the 666: Total time about 30 minues.

A day later I realize the carbs have built in nozzles, worse the ports are directly under the carb mounting studs - duh! After 1-1/2 hours driving, an hour and $15 at the weld shop, and another hour to belt sand, re-locate holes, drill and tap the adapters, and they are ready for fitting.

Had I taken three minutes to actually THINK about what I was doing, the project would have been 4 hours further ahead. Pretty good investment in time. Yeah, yeah, gramps taught me years ago to think first, measure twice, and cut once. So much for my memory! Just goes to prove sometimes you've gotta slow dow to go faster!

Will be up early machining throat extensions and reversing butterfly shafts............Name:  666.36.JPG
Views: 787
Size:  244.1 KBName:  666.37.JPG
Views: 794
Size:  247.2 KBName:  666.38.JPG
Views: 788
Size:  241.3 KB

Tim

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Throat extensions

Careful carb fitting reduced offset angle from 22 to 20 degrees per side and still required 5/8" thick extensions for clearance. Here you see the six extensions in rough. An hour of bandsaw and belt grinding tomorrow and the front end can be mocked up.

Oh yeah, that's one whopping drill bit!

TimName:  666.39.JPG
Views: 744
Size:  254.6 KB

Thread Information