Thread: Ron Hill Family: Hill Marine and Signature Propellers

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gene Autry and My Dad Had The Same Birthday 12/29/1907

My dad would have been 110 today. It seems a very short 20 years to not have him here. My dad and mom came to California in 1935 BROKE, by the time I was born, 1944, they owned a house and 22 acres at Lake Elsinore, and my dad was racing boats. My sister was 13 years older than me, and my brother was ten years older.

My dad started me in racing when I was 11, 1955, and supported me til about 1989. We won a lot of races together, he rebuilt many of my factory motors to make them faster. We won the Elsinore 500, 1973 and the Parker 9 Hour (Division II) 1975, with motors my dad built. He and I are bought APBA Honor Squadron Members.

I'd get crazy ideas, and my dad would make them come true. We raced Stock, Alkies, OPC.

I'm not sure my dad ever complimented me and I'm not sure I ever really thanked him.

One time someone told my dad, "Those Hill kids aren't very good losers." My dad said, "Well, they haven't had much practice."

We went to races to "WIN" and we did "WIN" often.

Miss you dad. I'M HAPPY YOU WERE ABLE TO TEACH CHAD SO MUCH ABOUT MOTORS BEFORE YOU LEFT US.

We were racing at the Parker 9 Hour the weekend my dad passed, 1997. A good weekend to go, I always thought!

12/29/2017
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes hydroyt, Powerabout liked this post

Thread Information