Thread: Ron Hill Family: Hill Marine and Signature Propellers

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Calendar Every January

Seems after the 1966 Marathon Nationals, Vic Brinkman, Chris White, Max McPeek and Tom Schwartz (AKA Wild Ones) came to my parent's house for two weeks. (The four racers lived in Michigan and the Marathon Nationals were in Needles, California.)

My parents were planning a two week vacation after the Nationals, so I invited the "WILD ONES" to come and stay at my parent's house.

While "THE WILD ONES" were in California they did see Disneyland and hit the beaches. But every night we had a "KEG" party at my parent's. The neighbors were pretty cool about parties as they also had "Young Adult" children. A keg a day ain't a bad party!

So, after picking up the keg the first day, I just had the liquor store deliver a keg everyday, and they'd take the empty.

My dad sold this house in 1989, but every year from 1967 to 1989 he'd get a new calendar from a local liquor store. One time as he was opening the calendar he said, "Funny, I've never been in this liquor store and they send me a new calendar every year and have for more than twenty years..."

This is me with keg number one, in the back of Dennis Hoag's Ford Falcon truck. Dennis's dad was head of the Orange County draft board, and he tried like crazy to draft me....Every year I'd get a deferment for teaching school, but he'd try to get me in the summer....but I'd be off racing and not answer my mail...until school started....Later they had the lottery and I never "WON"...

ADD: SkyHarborCowboy...Welcome to BRF....I'm a Flagstaff, Arizona (NAU) grad......Thanks for telling me I could write a book...I have a book, it is called "Ron Hill Here!' on Amazon.

LAST ADD:

When my parents came home, they said, "Man this carpet looks a lot worse than we remembered it, think we'll buy new carpet..." Oh, to be young and think you fooled the OLD MAN!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 10-12-2023 at 11:30 AM.

Thread Information