Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake DePue history quest

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake DePue history quest

While I have had the priviledge to meet may of you who post here at the DePue reunion and know many guys from all the years of racing at DePue , I have decided to go on a quest. I am looking to collect all the information I can on the history of boat racing on Lake DePue.

I am looking for everything and anything - magazine articles ( Propeller , Hydroplane Quarterly Powerboating) , heat sheets , scoring sheets , etc ,- about the PRO Nationals at Lake DePue. I know many guys hold this type of information near and dear to their heart , so I do not want your original stuff , but if you want to make copies I would gladly take that. Here is some of the stuff I have already received - I have but all of 2 of the race programs from 1961 1965-1974 and 1983-2012 , from RC Hawie I have most of the articles from Propeller magazine on the 1961 and 1965-1974 Nationals. From John Schubert I got the finals sheets from 1968- 1971. I have all the scoring sheets from this years Nationals curtisey of Sue Sailerand the USTS. And what may be the coolest find yet , this year , I have a friend whose dad was on the organizing comittee for 1961 Nationals , give me the original scoring sheets used on the barge from the 1961 Nationals.

Most people do not realize that there has been boat racing on Lake DePue since 1907 , that is the earliest date I have found. I feel that DePue has played an important part in the history of boat racing and that history needs to be preserved. Let me assure you I intend not to profit from this quest and when I display any of the information I will give the proper credit to the donor.

If you have anything to offer , you can send me a pm or e-mail me dhoffert@mchsi.com or dale_hoffert@yahoo.com.

Thank you

Dale Hoffert

Post Thanks / Like

"Most people do not realize that there has been boat racing on Lake DePue since 1907"........Was that the first year for "C" Service?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you like what I am posting. While I have alot of information from the early years at DePue , I dont have much , outside of the race programs , from the 1985-2010 years. If anybody has anything please send me a pm or e-mail me at the emails listed above. There has been a hope of another reunion in 2017 and I would to display everything I have come accross then , if not sooner.

Post Thanks / Like

Dale,
    What kind of things are you looking for?

Post Thanks / Like

Anything in relation to the Nationals at DePue. Heat sheets , final results sheets , propeller magazines articles , videos or photos that you could copy , etc. I am trying to compile a racing history of Lake DePue. Like I said in the past , I never intent to profit from anything I ever display. I just believe that Lake DePue has played an important part in boat racing and the history should be saved.

Post Thanks / Like

1907............Did Bill Kurps throw that C Service in from being there??????????? And winning???????????? Good stuff to come..............and just kidding, Bill.
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by F-12 View Post
    1907............Did Bill Kurps throw that C Service in from being there??????????? And winning???????????? Good stuff to come..............and just kidding, Bill.
    Some days I actually feel that old.
    I'm from Chicago, my buddies and I went to DePue after seeing a sign at a gas station, I think in was 1963 to watch a race, the only problem we got there a week to soon. Didn't see an actual race until 1965.

Post Thanks / Like

Default DePue 1966-1969++

Early in 1966, Carl Meyers bought a new DeSilva A-B Runabout and a Quincy Loop "A". He decided I should drive it for him, so by August or late July, we headed for DePue.

When we got to DePue we went into a little bar, and beers were 5 cents. I bought a dollar's worth. I felt like a "BIG SPENDER".

Ralph and Billy DeSilva told us we needed to see 70 MPH to be in the race. So, I test, ten gallons of "ALKY" through that "LOOPER". We got the 70 MPH mark. In the qualifer I was leading by a half lap, when a rod broke and I flipped.

After I dried out, I went up to eat some corn, as DePue corn wa th best I ever ate. Two ears for 25 cents. AS I was eating my two ears, Johnny Woods (John Riner Woods from St. Louis) walked up next to me, eating corn also. He just said, "Be sure an chew your corn." We just looked at each other and started laughing like crazy men. 47 years later, every time I eat corn I always announce to everyone, "Be sure and chew your corn."

That October, on Carl's Hill Runabout, I broke the A Runabout KILO Record of a little over 70 MPH.

In 1967, I borrow Max McPeeks, 30" BOTTOM 90 pound A Stock Runabout and ran Carl's Looper (Owned by Harry Bartolomei, now). won my qualifer and first final heat. But the rings went away in the second, after leading for 2 and half laps, and Jerry Siminson beat me.

Lou Simon and my dad re ringed that motor, Saturday and finished 4th in A Hydro the next day in my D Sid Craft.

My last DePue racing effort was 1969...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the recollection Ron and thanks for moving the other two threads here. The reason for the sweet corn being so good is Del Monte has a processing plant in Mendota IL which is about 30 miles from DePue. That may be where that sweet corn came from but I will have to check with some of the more mature folk back in DePue as I was a bit young back in those days.

Post Thanks / Like

Default DePue programs

My program collection is almost complete. If anyone has a 1965 , 1970 , 1992 or 1999 program that they may be willing to part with please let me know and maybe we can work something out. I have some other things to post from 1965 and 1970 but I would like to follow my format and start the post with some of the program pages.

I would like to thank the guys and gals who have helped me collect all the information I have posted already.

Thanks to Wayne Baldwin , John Schubert , R.C. Hawie , Bruce Summers , the Augustines, Bob Rusnak and anyone one else I may have forgotten.

Also a thank you to Ron Hill for having a place for people to go to keep the history alive.

If any one is interested I do have duplicates of the following years programs. If you need one please send me a pm and I will send it to you : 1972 - this one is in a ring binder , the 1984 Title series program , 1985 , an 1986 but not in the best condition , 1987 ok condition , 1988 in bad condition , 1990 not so good , 1991 bit rough , 1994 , 1996 , 2008 , 2010 , 2011 , and 2012.

Thread Information